Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Second Breakfast
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Callistema-

re: Sannford's Kitchen: Recipes for you and yours!

Forum Image

Hello, everyone!

I mentioned on Kinchat and the LMBcafe that I had made a peanut butter and chocolate pie, and a few people (Bluebonnett and Godwineson in particular) thought that I should make a forum thread with recipes! I've got plenty to offer, but you all are welcome to post here with the recipes for your favorite delicious foodstuffs, as well!

Now, on to the recipes!
Callistema-

re: Peanut Butter and Chocolate Pie

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Pie

This is a very simple, but delicious recipe! What you'll need for it is:

* 2-3 cups of semisweet chocolate chips
      * 1/4 to 1/3 cup cream
      * A packet of instant pudding mix
      * 2 cups milk
      *2-3 heaping spoonfuls creamy peanut butter
      *Graham Cracker crust

(either premade/storebought or homemade: The recipe for a graham cracker crust is as follows, from our very own Bluebonnett:
        * 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 20 squares)
        * 3 Tablespoons sugar
        * 1/3 cup melted butter
        Mix together, press in a pie tin, and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.)

Melt the chocolate chips in a saucepan with the 1/3 cup cream, until the chocolate chips are melted. The mix should be thick, but thin enough to pour into the pie shell when you're done.

Pour the melted chocolate into the pie shell, keeping aside some for on top when you are finished if you would like.

Make your instant pudding mix: pour the 2 cups of milk into the powder and stir, following the directions on the package. Set aside for about ten minutes and add your peanut butter, stirring it in until the pudding is light yellow-brown and tastes like peanut butter. Put that into the pie shell, on top of the chocolate.

If you like, you can add the last of the chocolate from your saucepan on top of the pudding. That is a matter of personal preference; it will taste good either way.

Stick the pie in the fridge for about an hour, or until the chocolate sets and is somewhat hard.
Bluebonnett
Bluebonnett Merrydo

Awarded:

So, with some egging on by Carica and Sannford, I decided, at 1AM, mind you, that I *had* to make this pie, and so I did! And here, for your drooling pleasure, is photographic proof of my endeavor! Mmm...

Forum Image
Callistema-

That looks absolutely delicious. I'll be sure to post a photo of mine when I unpack my camera, but everything is currently in boxes in my house right now.
Isilwren

What a wonderful idea! I'll have to go through my recipe box for my Hobbit bread and Chedder n' Ale soup I make during the Fall/Winter months.

Awarded:

re: Omnomnomnom

*tries to lick the monitor*

*grin* I'm glad that everyone approves! I don't have another recipe for tonight, but I'll try and come up with something tomorrow- we're going shopping for groceries.
Bluebonnett
Bluebonnett Merrydo

Awarded:

Oh. My. Gosh. We had the pie tonight, and it is DELICIOUS. I used custard instead of the vanilla pudding, and milk chocolate chips instead of semi sweet, and OH EM GEE.

You are my hero right now!
Callistema-

*laugh* I'm glad you liked it! It took a lot of tweaking before I got it to where I was happy. Peanut butter and chocolate= one of my favorite flavor sets.
Callistema-

I'll post the recipe for dinner tonight! ... It's not really a recipe, just what I plan to do with the stuff, but you can follow along.

Garlic and Olive Oil Steak

What you'll need for this is:

*A plastic baggie (preferably a gallon ziplock)
        *Olive oil (Maybe 1/4th a cup? I don't usually measure when cooking, unfortunately.)
        *3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped fine.
        *Salt to taste
        *Steak! We're using chuck steak pounded to a tender texture (it is the chewiest, yet most flavorful cut) tonight, but you can use whatever steak you like.

Put the steak in the plastic bag with the olive oil, garlic, and salt. Marinate for at least 2 hours.
      Then cook it, to whatever rareness you prefer!

Roasted Carrots and Beets

*5-6 Beets (you can usually find them in the produce section)
        *3-4 Carrots
        *A roasting pan (one-use aluminum ones are usually found in the store, cheap.)
        *Salt

Chop the beets and carrots into fourths. Put them in the roasting pan so that they are spaced evenly. Put a little bit of salt on the top of them all.

Cook them at 350 degrees until they are cooked through and caramelized; if memory serves correctly this takes an hour, but I'm not entirely sure. Best to check every so often.

Yellow squash and tomatoes (This recipe works with zucchini too!)

*1 yellow onion, chopped roughly.
        *Garlic, chopped fine.
        *Olive Oil, 2-3 tablespoons.
        *3-4 Yellow squashes, sliced into rounds.
        *2-3 tomatoes, chopped fairly rough.

Put the onions and garlic in a pan with the olive oil. Fry until the onions have gone see-through and are sweet to the taste.

Put the yellow squash in; cook until it is starting to get a bit tender and flimsy. Throw the tomatoes in, and cook until they're warmed through and the yellow squash is entirely tender.
Lennidhren
RannaDylin
High Officer

Awarded:

Here's one for an Apple Cake my Mom made this weekend to deal with the overflow of apples from Dad's apple tree...Coming home for the weekend, it's like visiting the Shire sometimes. Besides the apples, there's the fresh tomatoes, melons, etc... :-)

N.B.: Do not use a mixer, says the recipe.

3 eggs
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 teasp. vanilla
2 cups flour (unsifted)
1/2 teasp. salt
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 teasp. baking soda
1 teasp. nutmeg
5 or 6 apples (peeled & cut thick)
3/4 cup walnuts (unchopped)

Blend with fork: eggs, oil, sugar & vanilla. Add dry ingredients (flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg) to blended ingredients. Add apples and nuts. Pour into a greased 12"x8" pan and bake in a preheated 350 deg. oven for 1 hour.

I can attest - it is delicious!

Sounds delicious, Lennidhren!
CGriffin
Officer

Peavie wrote:
Roasted Carrots and Beets

*5-6 Beets (you can usually find them in the produce section)
    *3-4 Carrots
    *A roasting pan (one-use aluminum ones are usually found in the store, cheap.)
    *Salt

I didn't know people actually ate beets. I might have to try this

Isilwren

re: Isilwren's Cheddar n' Ale soup

1/2 cup butter or margarine (I recommend butter)
3/4 cup finely chopped carrots
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (I like to use a mandarin cutter for this, but you can also chop these all up together using a blender on a chop or course cycle. You want them to be itty bitty bits)

1 cup all purpose flour. Add this a small bit at a time so it blends in well.
1/2 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne) If this is too spicey for you, just omit it.
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream
4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 bottle of your favorite beer, ale or lager.

1. In a 4 qt Dutch oven, melt butter over med. heat. Saute the carrots, celery and onions until soft, stirring until they are transparent.
2. Stir in flour, paprika, black pepper and ground red pepper. Add broth. Heat to boiling over med heat. Boil and stir for about a minute.
3. Reduce heat to low, stir in whipping cream (I use half n half for a lighter version) and cheese. Heat until cheese is melted, stirring occasionally. Stir in beer. Word of warning. The beer is an essential flavor so don't use a beer you don't like to drink on its own. We've tried several different varieties of beer but the basics of Coors or Miller seemed to always fit the bill.

Top with ryetons (our version of croutons for this soup). Cut a rye loaf into large squares. Put into a large mixing bowl and sprinkle olive oil and salt on top. Mix until all the bread is covered and then evenly spread the cubes on to a cookie sheet. You can broil them, but I like to toast them slowly at a 350F degree oven. Since each oven is different, just keep checking on them every 10 minutes or so, moving them around so they get evenly toasted on all sides. Once the bread is all nice and toasty you can sprinkle them on top of the soup as a garnish.

Awarded:

Ohhhhhhh...that soup looks GOOD, and it's not even PIE! =D
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Second Breakfast All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: