Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Everquest Next

Is there any way to add "triggers"? For example, when someone walks near a torch, it lights up?
What are the options for making the stuff you build interactive?

Awarded:

It was said by the producers that they want us to be able to do exactly what they can do. That involves some scripting-abilities too. I don't know how far that goes - there was no word about that as far as I have followed the dev shows on youtube.

I just got a mail that a new show of the Everquest Next fanshow "Into the Portal" #14 will bring some previously unconfirmed info which Omeed (one of the SOE community guys I think - I know he's SOE staff but I am not sure about his exact role. He does the community round-tables) confirmed. Since I haven't seen it myself I have no idea what that might be. So I am currently downloading the show from Youtube and am going to watch it right now.

Here's the link to the show (jumps directly to episode 14): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVDaHmx6xEI

Awarded:

This came through Twitter recently. John Smedley is the president of Sony Entertainment Online:

John Smedley wrote:
@j_smedley: It’s looking like our Alpha for EQNL is going to start sometime in the last half of January. Very excited.!

Awarded:

This is looking good so far. I am really excited about the building aspect of it.
Floradine
Officer

Awarded:

One question I had from the start was "how to roleplay" in a building only game like Landmark. Then I read this article and it was a mind-opener for me.

http://www.eqhammer.com/interview/roleplaying-landmark

Officer

Awarded:

That article really turned me off of Landmark. I am so disappointed.

"Landmark comes with no built-in lore. It’s a blank slate, with no quests, history, background of any kind. What better environment to fill with your own lore?"
That sounds like a lot of work to me. I'd rather write a story in a game world that already exists. Few of us have time to establish a genre and lore, build an entire world, write a backstory, and design roleplay adventures. Oh yeah, and publish all this information somewhere, so that other people can roleplay on the same page.

"Imagine competing with other players to claim new land not by grinding to buy another flag, but by politicking."
Heavens, no! I don't want to have that sort of negative, competitive relationship with other players. I get too much drama and politicking in real life. That's not my kind of PvP.

"A roleplaying community has already sprung up in anticipation of EverQuest Next and EQN Landmark."
Great, I'm already way behind in the politicking!

EQHammer: "Have you or any of your community members given any thought to the kind of political roleplay that might emerge from having plots of land and control over non-instanced building? Some of Game-of-Thrones-y, perhaps?"

EQN-RP: "We're probably going to look towards some sort of elected body, but there's going to be bigger politics than just one city as well, some of the RP guilds on our forums are planning their own cities as well, so who knows how they'll end up. It will be interesting to see how Landmark determines ownership of a city, if at all as well."

Imagine the worst of real life neighborhood associations, throw in anonymity and trolls, and presto! Epic drama.

Awarded:

Yeah, I think except for the first point I agree with you. I'd not participate in stuff like that, especially not the political stuff. That's one of the reasons why I never started EVE online...

But participating in a community building project? That sounds like a big heap of fun to me. The blank slate may be a lot of work but I think if I find the right people that can evolve into something really beautiful. And if not I can still build stuff just for myself.

Awarded:

To elaborate on why I was so surprised: Initially I was seeking for some lore to start from/build upon myself and I already had doubts that Landmark will have any lore (while EQNext of course will have a whole lot of lore) and what to do in such a game when there's nothing else than the building aspect. It was a bit of a letdown for me too until I read that article. It made me see that a game like this requires me to think outside of the box. Maybe it's because I could use some change in what games I play in the future and a clean slate is just what I could make most of because I know that it will very likely be just one game besides Lotro. I was not so very clear about who I am in RL but there was a time when I studied architecture and I had to design buildings. One of my plans is to actually play around with this game to see what house I would build for myself. Oddly enough I never tried that on paper (or rather in my favorite CAD program in the office) - maybe because the ideas change almost on a daily basis. So I think one thing to do would be to actually try to build a house for "me" and change it around to see what comes off it all. I also already thought of building buildings that I designed in my studies - at least as far as the game would allow me to. Could be that it's too limited to do much but that's to be seen in the course of the year.

All that would not require any lore of course. But maybe it would get a little boring after a while so I was looking for ideas of what to do that would keep me interested for a longer time - which is a community build. And if ideas start flowing with the right people who have at least the same basic idea of what to make I am sure a lot of wonderful things will come to life. The discussions about this in the Alpha forums are already most awesome and get your phantasy flying.

Awarded:

Yesterday the dev team issued another Round Table video: This time about building styles.

Officer

Awarded:

It's really cool that anyone can build anything, but in my mind, it's a shame they don't have themed servers. For example, an EQ-themed server, a generic fantasy server, a modern day server, a sci-fi server, and so on. The themes could be sub-divided or more specific based on their popularity.

I'm concerned that the multi-themed universe is going to leave Landmark feeling more like Rifts than anything else. Imagine Ales and Tales held there. You gather a huge group of dedicated people, build Bree, design a fantastic Prancing Pony with a stage on one side.

The view from Bree in each of the cardinal directions? Not the surrounding landscape we're used to, instead in the distance you see a pirate airship, a deadly dungeon of the Mad Wizard of Iptharn, a My Little Pony stable and castle, and something from Game of Thrones that would be really cool if the builder ever got around to finishing it.

A band shows up to play (assuming they add ABC music). In the audience, not just men, dwarves and hobbits... not just orcs and wargs, but also vampires, space marines, and dragons. Then the argument begins -- is showing up as a dragon or vampire considered trolling the LotR area?

The landscape building power lends itself to roleplay, but I think the open style environment is going to utterly devastate immersion.

Well, for better or for worse, I bought a Trailblazer pack. I've played EQ for over 12 years and EQ2 since launch so I guess it's a safe investment ;p

Kira- based on the way EQ1 has evolved over the years, there's still plenty of time for a decision to make themed servers. The initial launch of an MMO is usually just a portion of the designers vision :)

Gorstaad, 15 Man Loremaster
Floradine
Officer

Awarded:

I think I heard something about themed servers but I'm not a 100% sure. They are also aware of griefing opportunities and a forest of male genitals is not where it stops.

Regarding races, Landmark itself will start out with only humans (it's a different thing for EQNext of course). They left it open if they will put in more races or not.

One thing is quite certain: No-one can claim their part of the land defines what all else have to adhere to. So such things as you described will certainly lead nowhere. They probably will differenciate between Everquest-type servers and modern times servers but that will likely be all they'll do. The poll also shows that fantasy settings is what people are mostly interested in. Could be there will only be a few "modern" servers and the rest is all fantasy stuff.

Players will also not be allowed to build stuff from other IP's. So if someone builds Orthanc from the movies it will be taken down. It has all to be original because no-one has a license to use foreign designs.

Awarded:

I just came across an old video from March 2013 (this video was released prior to the announcement of the game) about SOE's plans with the game and their motivations. And heck, for me Dave Georgson is so right with what he says.

And one more shortly after the announcement:

Awarded:

One more new Developer Diary about "Advanced Building Tools"

Awarded:

Today 4pm Pacific the devs will have a livestream and showing off how claims will work and more.

Go here to watch: http://twitch.tv/everquestnext

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: