Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Tamoro
Officer

Awarded:

re: Everquest Next

Having come over to Lotro from EQ, It will always have a sentimental place in my memory. And after seeing the new footage, I'm more intrigued than ever!

https://www.everquestnext.com/

Awarded:

The sandbox tools look like a lot of fun. I used to spend hours building things in the architect packs that came with the original Morrowind.
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

I have some concern about this:
"Full Destructibility — Everything in EverQuest Next can be destroyed. Destroy the ground beneath your enemy's feet — or crush him under an avalanche you created. The possibilities are endless!
Permanent Change — The land of Norrath changes every day, based on the actions of all players... including you. Cities rise and fall, kings live and die, even the gods may change. You won't want to miss a moment of it! "

I would worry that if I didn't play the game constantly to stay powerful and "defend" the things I have built, they'll be destroyed.

Any thoughts on this?

Awarded:

Yeah, that worries me also; as in, what the griefers/destroyers would do simply because "it is part of the game". Still, it is quite tempting. I've not played a lot of other MMOs (not EQ nor EQ2, though I almost did so before finding LOTRO) but a sandbox world has a certain appeal. We don't need yet another "go here, kill 10X" game. It does need some balance though so I hope they can pull it off.

With griefing again "in the news" here on Landroval, this development makes me wonder if such a sandbox world would allow the 'society'-minded players to somehow band together and thwart/punish the forces of chaos. Well, I can dream.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Aldekim
Officer

So far I have only ever played Lotro. Some day this world will end and I may then try something like this sandbox world. Until Lotro ends I will remain a one world sort of guy.

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
`Tinki`
Officer

Intriguing! Too cartoony and too over the top combat effects, but with customizations as advertised, may be a winner.

Master of BOOT,..but otherwise at your service,....And your families.

Lindorieh
Morfindiel
Officer

Awarded:

So what is this sandbox you speak of?

Lind

On Crickhollow - Morivanye- Rangers of Ithilien

On Anor: -Morfindiel, Laerlenn -Mythgard

On Ithil: Morfindiel - The Kin

`Tinki`
Officer

If I understand sandbox versus themepark, its that themepark MMOs direct your paths and quests to a certain goal. Sandbox means there are quests, but there is no progression for leveling or story line; you do whatever you want to do for as long as you want.

LOTRO is themepark, but has a kind of unique community/style that makes for sandboxing also. I cant really define it as well as others might.

Master of BOOT,..but otherwise at your service,....And your families.

Aldekim
Officer

To some extent sandbox also implies that the player has the option of creating instances for others to play.

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
Kaerri
Kaerri
Officer

Awarded:

Kiralynn of Rohan wrote:
I have some concern about this:
"Full Destructibility — Everything in EverQuest Next can be destroyed. Destroy the ground beneath your enemy's feet — or crush him under an avalanche you created. The possibilities are endless!
Permanent Change — The land of Norrath changes every day, based on the actions of all players... including you. Cities rise and fall, kings live and die, even the gods may change. You won't want to miss a moment of it! "

I would worry that if I didn't play the game constantly to stay powerful and "defend" the things I have built, they'll be destroyed.

Any thoughts on this?

As one of my GW guildmates pointed out, this sounds very similar to what the GW2 devs were promising before GW2 came out. And the world events and progressive story events there just aren't that gamechanging. Which, as you say, can be good or bad.

To me, it also sounds like the guild "housing" system in Age of Conan, where the player-created sections were the only PvP areas on a PvE server. All was well (build your own city! cool!) until the griefers decided to crash some RP events...

Officer

Awarded:

don't worry, sony will find a way to ruin whatever good goes in. They have a very strong track record for that.
Tearna Quickfoot
Pink Officer

Hmmmm... Minecraft meets MMO? :) Looks to me as if the builder part is separate from the questing portion of the game, but what you build there could be included in the game. It might be fun to try.

I have never played EQ but what they are doing sounds very much like the Elder Scrolls games. They are sandbox oriented too... as much about exploration as following a quest line. And they don't lock you into a class. You can learn any skills you wish depending upon how you spend your skill points and the armor/weapons you use. I am looking forward to their online game!

Lotro used to be less linear. I am not a huge fan of how they've lined up the quests so you have to do this one to unlock the next chain. I have missed some of the game because I never did "the" quest required to unlock the next section. What I love about Lotro is the awesome community! :)

Other active games: ESO (Tearna, T'nar, Tealan, etc.)
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

I had a debate with my husband over whether or not a graphically upgraded Minecraft with an easier scripting system would be very popular and profitable. I think it would be but he disagrees. I have to admit, people have put so much time and effort into Minecraft, it would be difficult to lure them away.

What I would really LOVE to see is a MORPG with a persistent world and a fantastic editor. Basically a home-server edition where you pay your monthly fee to cover updates and such. I love the idea of a sandbox, but I don't want to share a sandbox with trolls and fools. I'd make a world where named bosses stayed dead when they were defeated, perhaps at some later date to be replaced by a similar boss with a different randomly generated name. Basically, an MMO with the perception of progress and permanence to better support intra-group roleplay.

Awarded:

Sounds like a table-top role-playing game gone MMORPG to me, Kira. =)

Honor and fun,
Dannigan a.k.a. Gori

"No language is justly studied merely as an aid to other purposes. It will in fact better serve other purposes, philological or historical, when it is studied for love, for itself." - J.R.R. Tolkien, English and Welsh (1955)
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien

My Lonely Mountain Band characters include Dannigan (main, 100th-level Human Warden), Briamil (95th-level Elven Rune-keeper), Gori "Mithrilfist" Brightforge (95th-level Dwarven Champion), Mithrilfists (also Gori, 60th-level Dwarven Guardian), and Whittle (95th-level Hobbit Hunter). Far apart, never alone! =)
Andeon
Officer

Kiralynn of Rohan wrote:
I had a debate with my husband over whether or not a graphically upgraded Minecraft with an easier scripting system would be very popular and profitable. I think it would be but he disagrees. I have to admit, people have put so much time and effort into Minecraft, it would be difficult to lure them away.

What I would really LOVE to see is a MORPG with a persistent world and a fantastic editor. Basically a home-server edition where you pay your monthly fee to cover updates and such. I love the idea of a sandbox, but I don't want to share a sandbox with trolls and fools. I'd make a world where named bosses stayed dead when they were defeated, perhaps at some later date to be replaced by a similar boss with a different randomly generated name. Basically, an MMO with the perception of progress and permanence to better support intra-group roleplay.

interesting - I sorta do that already. When I'm fighting the "Goblin King", for example, I just assume it's "this weeks" goblin king - I imagine a great deal of turnover in the goblin ranks. I usually do the same thing with many of the named Angmarim bosses - I just assume that their *name* is actually a title, and since we killed "last weeks" Gorothul, they found another black sorcerer in that endless pit of angmarim that they draw from, "promoted" him to deal with the next group of foolish adventurers that come looking for trouble

it's true, my own internally created suspension of disbelief gets strained when we start going up against Draigoch, or Thorog, but in general, it appeases my mind a little bit to assume that the *boss* isn't resurrecting, just being replaced by similarly monstrous creatures, and carrying over the title - sorta dread-pirate roberts-like :)

but yes, I had always envisioned, what I assumed would be some rather easy rewriting to the quest and instance descriptions - you wouldn't have to change the AI or program at all, just edit some text, so that the instance itself now makes better sense being repeatable, with all the enemies within not nearly as unique or distinctive, but instead hearkening to some sort of internal promotion status that speaks more to the nature of the region or the race/culture of the enemy, than it does to any one particular boss/person.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: