Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Ales and Tales
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Molly Bayberry
Officer

Awarded:

re: Proposal for tales

So, fellows, it seems that Ales & Tales has changed... whereas once Tinki and her friends supplied the ales, and various folk stepped up to volunteer tales... now it it is not much more than an open mic, music session. (Not that such a session is a bad thing, I like almost all of the music that is played.)

But I wonder if we couldn't try to ensure that there is *one* tale, at least, at every meeting. Master Nimrodelian the Fair (that's my title for him, he's modest) has promised me a tale next week, and Lady Melanie of Dale has half-promised a tale for the week after. But I call on you, kinmates, to step up and let loose your creativity.

*blushes* But if you have more serious things to take care of, I guess we homebodies understand.

Also Sandy Gorseleaf of Clan Etal
Apis
Ellinnea
Officer

Awarded:

I've often wished there were more tales at Ales & Tales. I have one story written, and one sort of planned out, but both are a bit long and could use some editing still. However, it's been a while since I've been able to attend on a Monday evening, and I probably won't be able to until the end of this summer at least. Perhaps I could share a tale for someone else to perform in my stead?

A bevy of other characters, as listed at my lotro-wiki page
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

It would be nice to have at least one tale, or a poem, at each show. I've not been asking for ale-vendors, since I prioritized having MC, stage manager and band members ahead of it, but we could try that again also.

Long tales can be broken into short installments, as Melanie has done in the past. If it is a cliff-hanger, all the better!

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

I'd love to see all the poems and stories posted in these forums after their A&T debut!

I suspect I am not alone in thinking this is particularly tough. I know for me writing happens when it happens, not on demand. I imagine that is true for most every writer. So it is rathr tough to ask people to be inspired in a timely fashion for Ales & Tales. Still I supose it can't hurt to ask; perhaps some folks have some material ready to go.

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
Berrieblossom

I've been generally avoiding A&T the last couple months because of a minor stalking issue, but I'm happy to pull out an old poem or story from my blog and provide to someone else to perform. Send me an in-game mail on Berrieblossom if you're in need of material on any given week. It would be mostly poetry since my fiction is mostly part of a very long storyline that wouldn't adapt well to the A&T setting. If I create something new that wouldn't be easily identifiable as mine, I could recite it on one of my anonymous alts, but inspiration has been running dry lately.

Also a distant acquaintance of that gloomy Elf Tuiliel and her beloved Eluridan
Apis
Ellinnea
Officer

Awarded:

It would be very difficult indeed to require a tale every week. As Aldekim says, most people can't think up good story ideas on demand (except Mithrilfist, who seemed to manage it for quite a long time!), and anyway there's no way to enforce something like that. But I would see no harm in encouraging more people to contribute tales. I suspect I'm not the only one who has a few things lurking in almost-completed state, and could be urged to finish something off.

Also, how do we feel about repeated tales? I know at least Melanie has performed a tale more than once, and I'm sure there are plenty of good ones from before I started attending A&T, or on weeks I missed, that I would be happy to hear now. But if it's the same group in the audience every week who has been coming since forever, they might not want too many repeats from past shows.

Also also, am I the only one who thinks of Gourgini when considering this topic? Even having someone in-character hoping to hear more tales each week might encourage more people to contribute.

A bevy of other characters, as listed at my lotro-wiki page
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

As with anything, no, we cannot require a new tale/poem each week (hopefully I didn't imply that) -- but we can ask and encourage. As anyone who has played or listened to the OW setlist since I've been handling it can attest, I don't have a problem with repeating things -- though I do try to wait a few weeks in between.

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Molly Bayberry
Officer

Awarded:

These are good suggestions, thank you all for posting your thoughts. I personally think repeated tales would be fine-- Lennidhren told a few, back in the day, and Sonca has a really good one that I think folks would like to hear again. And of course we'd like to have Mithrilfist again, with new or old material! (He did most of his tellings when I was away from Middle-earth, so I only caught them on the podcast.)

If people would like to have others tell their tales, well that's very generous of you, but we'd rather have the author tell the tales, at least the first time, I think. Cennwyn has a project to collect the tales and share them with the Banders, too, so there's that.

Well, it's true that writers have to feel inspiration, at least in the beginning of a project, I'm struggling with that, myself, right now. :)

Oh, and Byrcha and the other regulars, what do you think about making a longer time-slot available for tales? We could ask tellers to let us know ahead of the event, then we could schedule fewer musical performances.

Anarwald
Officer

Awarded:

Ellinnea wrote:
Also also, am I the only one who thinks of Gourgini when considering this topic? Even having someone in-character hoping to hear more tales each week might encourage more people to contribute.

No, you're not. =D And I definitely agree!

It strikes me I have displayed a rather negative tone lately. No I don't think anyone suggested we could make demands. I just didn't want to see folks get discouraged if it takes time for an idea like this to bear fruit. Hopefully the inspiration will sieze me and I will come up with a poem or two in the near future. It will be on my mind.

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
Berrieblossom

Molly Bayberry wrote:
If people would like to have others tell their tales, well that's very generous of you, but we'd rather have the author tell the tales, at least the first time, I think.

Ok, well since I can't for safety reasons recite my own stuff, I'll pass for now. If you ever want something to share, feel free to let me know.

Also a distant acquaintance of that gloomy Elf Tuiliel and her beloved Eluridan
Aldekim
Officer

Berrieblossom, if you wish to have one of your works recited I would be happy to do so.

Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

Molly Bayberry wrote:
Oh, and Byrcha and the other regulars, what do you think about making a longer time-slot available for tales? We could ask tellers to let us know ahead of the event, then we could schedule fewer musical performances.

If they can let us know in advance how long it will be, that will help us with planning. Also, if they let us know in advance, we can advertise it! :)

Molly Bayberry
Officer

Awarded:

Berrieblossom wrote:
Ok, well since I can't for safety reasons recite my own stuff, I'll pass for now. If you ever want something to share, feel free to let me know.

Tuiliel, I'm sorry this is such an issue... how horrible that someone else can impair your enjoyment of the game like this, so that you are avoiding Ales & Tales. Is there anything we can do to help? If you have someone griefing you, it seems like we could all report that person. But maybe you don't want to make a big deal about it.

It's very generous of you to offer your poetry, and it's generous of Aldekim to recite it.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Ales and Tales All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: