Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Ales and Tales
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Sonca
Vulpes_Velox
Officer

Awarded:

re: Mentors needed

Mentors needed:

Wanted, minstrels of renown (or infamy… I’m not picky) to help spread the gift of music to the masses.
We need more minstrels to come out during Ales and Tales on Monday nights to help mentor during the announcements. Lately we seem to have had a more people looking to learn a new instrument then people able to mentor. Unfortunately this means that we have had to turn people away because we only have two or three mentors available.

There are two easy ways we can continue to provide this service to all that come out seeking to learn a new instrument. The first is for more of our fellow minstrels to come out for the show. The second would be for those of you who may have a minstrel alt that can teach but does not want to be there for the full show, you can park them at the A&T location before the show and switch to that alt for mentoring. We can give a heads up in kin chat if we know ahead of time that someone has parked an alt while they go off to try to rebuild Hybolt, kill orcs, taunt Saruman, etc. on their main.

There is a third option using mentoring manuals. However, the long cool down, high cost and the fact that they do not stack make these a less desirable method for active Minis. I do have a few blank manuals I can send out and I am willing to get a few more to have some on hand if we run short as a backup.

For those of you who are new to the whole mentoring gig, it is very simple to do. You just need to have the mentoring skills which you can get from the Minstrel trainers starting at level 30. Once you can mentor an instrument you just wander up to your prey as you would for a trade, select the new victim.. er um, wait I meant student, and then activate the proper mentoring skill. There is a nifty little sound and light show that you perform and voila a new musician is forged! You will gain points towards two deeds; Mentor of Song (for mentoring 3 people) and Exemplar of Song (for mentoring 9 people). Despite talk to the contrary floating around, you do not need to be in a fellowship to advance in this deed. There is a rumor that you need to be within a few levels of the student, but I can neither confirm nor deny that that this time. Either way it is real easy to achieve both if you want them.

Our friends at A Casual Stroll to Mordor have come up with this very good guide to the mentoring that can be found here: http://casualstrolltomordor.com/2011/05/minstrel-mentoring/

I am always willing to help anyone who wants to learn how to mentor (or even to start playing music for that matter), so feel free to PM me on the forum or in game and we can work to get you started. It is all real easy once you know how.

So please if you can, come out and help us spread the gift of music amongst the free people of middle-earth.

Awarded:

It's hard for me to get out during that time-slot, but I would be happy to send in a manual every week--where might I mail this to?

Alts include: Tinaith the Elven Huntress, Dereborn the Loremaster of Gondor.
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

Let me check and see what my mini can mentor. Then I will do my best to hit some A&T and help out;
Sonca
Vulpes_Velox
Officer

Awarded:

Cennwyn, you can mail them to me. I can send you blank manuals if you need them. Right now the biggest requests seem to be Drum, Harp, Flute and Bagpipes. I already have a couple Horn & Clarinet from my other Mini. The thing to keep in mind is that there is a 10 day cool down and the manuals do not stack.

Officer

Awarded:

As a former [legendary(!)] mentor, I'm close to lvl 30... so store looks at me to purchase the skills! I'll do that job for the Shire! lol

(Translation: Before Weatherstock, to help bands I'll be there to mentor! Good luck for you, my dear Sonca!)

Liserona is 28 now, almost old enough to teach clarinet and horn. However, anything beyond that seems a long way off. Grinding Esteldin rep to kindred would take half a lifetime; everything else is a rare drop, right?

Awarded:

Aherne can mentor Clarinet, Horn, cowbell, Theorbo and Pibgorn. Will keep eyes out for other mentoring pages.
Kyrian
Kyrian Starwalker
Officer

Awarded:

I have 2 minis that can mentor if needed. Just let me know and I can log them in.
Caiyyd

Awarded:

Since I can't stay online that late most Mondays I will be happy to make some scrolls!
Lindorieh
Morfindiel
Officer

Awarded:

Laerlenn can also send in some scrolls, since she can't stay up that late. What time is mentoring typically.? Perhaps I can pop on for a brief while some Mondays.

On Crickhollow - Morivanye- Rangers of Ithilien

On Anor: -Morfindiel, Laerlenn -Mythgard

On Ithil: Morfindiel - The Kin

Sonca
Vulpes_Velox
Officer

Awarded:

The Harp is the only instrument that has a mentoring skill that is rep-locked. All of the others can either be purchased from the class trainer or found as a rare instance or world drop in pre-Moria areas. A few people have donated some of these drops that they have come across and I give these out to people to help at A&T (or are willing to make scrolls for us). Of course all of the skills are available for TP from the store (I do not recall ever seeing them on sale).

Officer

Awarded:

Lauralda will be around for A&T this monday (a once-off, I'm usually at work irl at these timings). Have collected the harp and have theo, drums, flute, that's about it. Will be happy to make scrolls as required.

thanks for organising, Sonca!
Cennwyn
Cennwyn

Awarded:

I have leveled two additional minstrels up to 30, so that I can reliably send a manuscript in every Monday. I will work on getting them both Esteldin rep so they can mentor harps.

Alts include: Tinaith the Elven Huntress, Dereborn the Loremaster of Gondor.
featherfur

Liserona is 41 now so can mentor all the trainer-learned horns, cowbells, etc. Don't have any of the drops yet. Have made it up to Friendly with Esteldin (not easy!) but it will be a while yet until I'm Allied.

Still, working on it! When I acquire the ability to mentor one of the in-demand instruments I will let you know ...

Awarded:

Aherne can now mentor all instruments. He did his first gig this past Monday.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Ales and Tales All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: