Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Bertrus Broadleaf

re: I love used book stores

I am an ardent shopper of used book stores. I usually end up with several copies of books I already own 'cause I am always intrigued by the different varying covers/artwork and printing.

So today (what with the downtime of the game and my income taxes being returned) I decided to head over to my favorite use book store. Lo and behold, I found a copy of The Hobbit that I had never seen before and I fell in love with it, and for the price of $4.75 I have a copy that is already my favorite and one that I will keep forever, until it is time to pass down.

Here's a picture of the front and back cover.

Forum Image

Forum Image

I thought I'd like to share with the other book enthusiasts and collectors, and would love to see other copies you fine folks have collected over the year of the Professors work.

Take care all!
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

That is a very sharp looking book.

(must have!!)
Cennwyn
Cennwyn

Awarded:

What publisher is this from? And what year?

Alts include: Tinaith the Elven Huntress, Dereborn the Loremaster of Gondor.
Caiyyd

Awarded:

Awesome find! I love going to McKay's here. It is an old warehouse full of books - always new treasures to find. Best one yet was a beautiful hardcover of the Simarillion for $8!!

Here is a view of from the balcony
Forum Image
Bertrus Broadleaf

Cennwyn it was published by Houghton Mifflin Company in 2001. Says it is the young readers edition.

Forum Image

Forum Image

And Caiyyd that looks like a very nice bookstore! Nice and orderly. My favorite one I walk into and there's just books piled from the floor to the ceiling and crammed in every nook and cranny. The guy who runs the shop is about 80 years old, with a beard that would make Beorbrand proud and somehow seems to know every book that's in his store and where to find it.

I would love to see that copy of the Silmarillion if you have a picture or could take one. :)

Edit: Added a few pictures of the artwork inside the book. Not sure if they've been used in other editions as well or if they're unique to this one, I've never seen them before.
Caiyyd

Awarded:

Forum Image
Forum Image
Front cover and one of the beautiful illustrations. I had never seen a hardcover version before! There is also a fold out map of Beleriand in the back
Forum Image
And here it is on my Tolkien shelf! XD
Bertrus Broadleaf

Very nice edition! Thanks for sharing those pictures. :)

That illustration inside is the cover for my Unfinished Tales edition.
Cennwyn
Cennwyn

Awarded:

Couldn't resist--husband got me this for Christmas:

Forum Image
image by Cennwyn, on Flickr

Bertrus Broadleaf

Aww, very nice, Cennwyn! Have you had a chance to read that copy with the annotations?
Bellcari

re: Hobbit

I think the drawings on the cover are Tolkien's original art work. Well done, Bert!
Cennwyn
Cennwyn

Awarded:

Bertrus Broadleaf wrote:
Aww, very nice, Cennwyn! Have you had a chance to read that copy with the annotations?

I'm going to make that my reading project as soon as I wrap up Unfinished Tales.

sterling191

Cennwyn wrote:
Bertrus Broadleaf wrote:

I'm going to make that my reading project as soon as I wrap up Unfinished Tales.

Taken a gander at Children of Hurin?
Bertrus Broadleaf

I haven't started Unfinished Tales yet. Though I did read the section on the friendship between Cirion and Eorl, which then yesterday I came across this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFXIv91UQGs

Which I just noticed credited you as writing it, Cennwyn! Well done. I very much enjoyed it. :)

Sterling191, isn't Children of Hurin included in Unfinished Tales?
Cennwyn
Cennwyn

Awarded:

Bertrus Broadleaf wrote:
I haven't started Unfinished Tales yet. Though I did read the section on the friendship between Cirion and Eorl, which then yesterday I came across this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFXIv91UQGs

Which I just noticed credited you as writing it, Cennwyn! Well done. I very much enjoyed it. :)

Sterling191, isn't Children of Hurin included in Unfinished Tales?

Parts of the story of the Children of Hurin are included in Unfinished Tales--unfortunately, you have to flip back and forth between UT and the Sil to get a complete story.

However, there is a COMPLETE version of the Children of Hurin, illustrated by Alan Lee, that you can by as a book of its own. I plan on reading that as the capstone (after I finish the whole of the Histories of Middle Earth).

And, thank you, Bertrus! :) The stories of the Rohirrim have always been my favorites.

sterling191

Cenn beat me to it. Children of Hurin takes the stories surrounding Hurin and his descendants from Unfinished Tales and fleshes them out quite a bit. Granted it's been decades since I read Sil, but I think it's more than just a unification of the two narrative fragments.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: