Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
`Tinki`
Officer

re: Elder Scrolls online

Morrowind was my first and by far my best roleplay experience. I was never as hyped to play a computer game as I was when Oblivion hit the market. I drove 90 miles to get the game and the player guide. Heady days those.

And now closed beta starts for the Elder Scrolls online. I wonder if it will keep its soul.

Master of BOOT,..but otherwise at your service,....And your families.

Floradine
Officer

Awarded:

Do not miss the trailer. But be careful that your eyes don't pop out!

Officer

Awarded:

Have been trying to sign up for the past hour.. always goes to an error 404 page when I try to submit the application :/ Can't find anywhere to repeort this.
Kyrian
Kyrian Starwalker
Officer

Awarded:

It has the same pvp team as Daoc.. that is the only game I ever liked pvp. Everything looks awesome.
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Game Play Demo

Features strategic real-time combat. There is sprinting, crouching, blocking, looking left and right, and such that affect combat.
The graphics look impressive. It takes place 1,000 years before Skyrim.

They are not going to have shards - all characters are on one server. The game puts a person and his guild-mates and party members in a single layer when necessary. Supposedly people are not competing for resources and will get equal credit for combat. Quest decisions are supposed to have some impact on stats. Armor weight and weapon choice will be open - anybody can choose any of these, regardless of class. There will be benefits and drawbacks to the choices. There will be perks that allow you to be a werewolf, vampire, etc. Quests have a lot of focus on exploring. Finding quests requires finding a point of interest.

At level 50, raiding and PvP become more important. PvP focuses on taking strategic structures. 3 alliances will fight each other. There will be siege weapons. Siege weapons can have an impact on terrain and resources.

It looks very pretty. From the way they're talking, they want to be the WoW-killer. Personally, it's too much skin-bearing babes and giant uber-weapons for my taste. None of the demos or interviews talk about roleplay or social interaction, it's all about the complicated combat system and impressive solo or group raids.

EDIT: Pulled trailer already found in another post to improve loading speed.

Last edited by Kiralynn of Rohan on 2013/01/22 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

God I miss Morrowind.

Alts include: Tinaith the Elven Huntress, Dereborn the Loremaster of Gondor.
Kyrian
Kyrian Starwalker
Officer

Awarded:

Kiralynn of Rohan wrote:

It looks very pretty. From the way they're talking, they want to be the WoW-killer. Personally, it's too much skin-bearing babes and giant uber-weapons for my taste. None of the demos or interviews talk about roleplay or social interaction, it's all about the complicated combat system and impressive solo or group raids.

I have watched this over and over.. not seen a hint of skin anywhere, nor do the weapons look like the monstrosities in wow.

They said they wanted a super social system, but I have not seen any sign of that. I am curious what they have in mind.
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Kyrian of Landroval wrote:
I have watched this over and over.. not seen a hint of skin anywhere, nor do the weapons look like the monstrosities in wow.

They are definitely more clothed and carrying smaller weapons than in WoW. The armor is very pretty but still not as realisticas I would like. Their combat and acrobatics still have that anime-style movement and physics - impossible leaps, insanely high dexterity, collisions that don't cause damage, little concussion from artillery/siege weapons, no real inertia or impact.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very popular genre and it's fun to look at. I just personally prefer more understated gear and more realistic movement. This is one of the big things that drew me to LotRO as opposed to other MMOs.

Morrowind and Oblivion were the best single player games out in their era. The housing system in particular was really outstanding, along with the non-linear nature of the quests and the ability to freely roam the entire world day one. If their MMO holds that quality it will be fun. (though I am a one game at a time player and will be here until lotro folds, hopefully in the far distant future)

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
Cennwyn
Cennwyn

Awarded:

...do companies still really believe in the idea of a "WoW killer"? Isn't that kind of like basing your corporate model off a belief in the tooth fairy?

Alts include: Tinaith the Elven Huntress, Dereborn the Loremaster of Gondor.
Herbigharo

re: 'WoW' Killer

Another game with a huge and I mean HUGE mistake. Many gaming companies have done it with their games including LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, and much more!! They all tried to build a 'WoW' killer and market to the player base in Warcraft. Problem is when doing so, one has to actually be able to compete with all the very well polished along with many years of added content. No new game will be able to go up against Blizzard AND win their customers.

Ultimately, where it stands is players who play WoW are sticking with Warcraft until they decide to leave. What is going on now is much of the RP community is leaving WoW and heading to new games. The Ebon Hawk and Landroval is choke full of ex WoW players who enjoy RP last time I checked.

Rather than make a WoW killer, how about a talent system which mirrors the original Skyrim games? There is a rather large market for role players mainly due to leaving the WoW community as well. Do what Turbine did and add content suitable for RP. Players trying new games are not interested in a WoW killer.

I used the link from my Twitter feed and it worked first time, you may need to try it too.

http://t.co/T8xkbmeF If it works here that is.

Trying to raise grandchildren is like trying to nail Jell-o to a tree.
hammino

Kyrian of Landroval wrote:
Have been trying to sign up for the past hour.. always goes to an error 404 page when I try to submit the application :/ Can't find anywhere to repeort this.

you must use firefox or chrome IE wont work

I'm worried about this game, it looks like they've done the dreaded "market research" which has told them what the results say a mass market wants, not stuck to what players love so much about the games and the world they've created.

However... those early preview vids are often "bullshots" to pull in their audience and whet people's appetites. So I really hope that more of the actual game we're hoping for which follows what we have come to love and expect from Elder Scrolls games actually manifests. Because right now, I agree, I didn't really see much there aside from "the fighting is going to be SO COOL you guise, oh and you'll be able to talk to each other too".

Really great point btw Herbigharo, the "wow-killer" mistake. I actually work in a software company (not gaming, sadly) and we deal with competition in our field, and the thing that saves us in such a cutthroat market is that our competitors cannot match us... we have 10 years in the field, a platform which has been growing and being refined for that time, money that's been poured in over that time... it's impossible for a competitor to pop up and actually be a threat at this point unless they have been secretly in development for several years and have a huge bankroll under them. And I work for a SMALL software company, and in our limited field we're the WoW (I only wish my salary matched that though lol). So imagine that scaled up to a big multi-million dollar game like WoW is now. You can't pop up and claim to be able to match something that's taken years and hundreds of thousands of dollars investment in a couple of years, you just can't.

It also stifles creativity, rather than doing something to match your own vision, you're trying to out-do someone else's. Which is going to end up twisting what you originally started with into an imitation of someone else's creation.

So it's hard to get too excited about Elder Scrolls Online hearing them saying things like that. I just hope they do their own thing. THAT will be a success, not another WoW clone.

Officer

Awarded:

Pan-Liang wrote:
So imagine that scaled up to a big multi-million dollar game like WoW is now. You can't pop up and claim to be able to match something that's taken years and hundreds of thousands of dollars investment in a couple of years, you just can't.

I have to respectfully disagree. WoW has several things going against it.

It has developed more and more into a game to satisfy the Raid and PvP players, becoming less friendly to the RP and PvE crowd. In their rush to innovate, changes have been made that even the PvP/Raid crowd doesn't like.

It has grown so big that there is quite a bit of game imbalance at the lower levels. Due to the large number of systems built into the game, there is now a steep learning curve. Because the focus has been on making the current players happy, there isn't much support for new people. Existing players had to learn only one new system at a time. New players have no easy way to learn about it all.

It is getting long in the tooth when it comes to graphics and animations. Newer MMOs can come out of the gate with more eye candy.

It has been around so long that it is no longer trendy. Groups of real-life friends joined together, but now many groups have members that left for other games. The more their friends leave, the more veteran players will be tempted to join them.

Many players have seen the same old content for a very long time - they won't stay interested forever. This latest expansion had the worst sales of any expansion yet. It was the first time that stores had left-over copies of the deluxe editions.

The increasing number of software revisions have also increased the number of PCs that have trouble patching and running the game. It also leads to more bugs that stay on the back-burner forever. We've seen the same effect recently with LotRO. WoW has even more years of updates to contend with.

For some people, the genre has changed significantly enough that it has lost its appeal. Epic fantasy had pseudo-science tacked on, followed by mafia themes, followed by kung-fu pandas.

The number of trolls, griefers and hackers has increased over time. Accounts are hacked more often than ever, despite the use of authentication devices. There's little more frustrating than spending money on a protection device just to find out it can be used to hack your account more easily.

So, all in all, a game like Elder Scrolls Online has a fair chance of being a "WoW killer". All that is necessary to kill WoW is to attract enough players that Blizzard doesn't find Warcraft worth developing new material for. Once Blizzard decides to work on Titan or some other future project and let WoW wind down, it's "dead" and spiraling into slow decline. Many MMOs have neeped-and-nopped at WoW for years. Eventually some game is going to drop the last straw. Perhaps it won't be TESO, but it will happen one day. No MMO lasts forever.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: