Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Second Breakfast
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lennidhren
RannaDylin
High Officer

Awarded:

re: For Picky Elven Eaters...

Well, I'm not sure how apt the title is...this elf is not exactly a picky eater, but I do have to count carbs. Diagnosed just over a year ago as a type 1 diabetic, I have to take insulin scaled to match the carbs I'm eating, which makes life complicated, and makes me shy away from breads...cakes...pies...thus, much as I would like to dine as a hobbit, I have to be a picky elven eater. Low-carb Lembas anyone?

So this thread is intended for those of us with special dietary needs, which in my case means low-carb, but for others might mean gluten-free (celiac disease is no fun to live with; I had a student affected by it last year...), grain-free, dairy-free, or whatever. I'll share the recipes I've found that worked for me and hope to see others here as well!

Awarded:

To start the thread off, here is what I had for breakfast this morning! It was a keeper: great spice cake flavor, just the right moistness! For Thanksgiving my aunt always has various pumpkin breads, zucchini breads, etc. - happily this year I will be adding this low-carb applesauce spice cake to the collection! Five net carbs per slice, and they are pretty generous sized slices for a sweet bread like this.

http://yourlighterside.com/candices-low-carb-almond-flour-applesauce-spice-pound-cake/

Forum Image
Almond Flour Applesauce Pound Cake by durandir, on Flickr

Awarded:

What a great idea for a thread! I'm not diabetic (yet) but my brother and my aunt both developed type 1 in their 20s, and my dad has type 2 - so it seems like it's only a matter of time. I also know a couple people who can't have gluten, and it's really hard to find anything to cook that they can eat. I'm always on the lookout for a few new recipes for that kind of situation.

That cake looks delish.

A bevy of other characters, as listed at my lotro-wiki page
Lennidhren
RannaDylin
High Officer

Awarded:

Delish...might be an understatement. My reaction on eating the first slice was..."Do I have more almond flour? I must bake another loaf right now..."

Awarded:

I must share this recipe next. Of all the Thanksgiving baking I've been doing this week, I think this is my favorite so far. It tasted AMAZING! And looks so pretty too...

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/10/low-carb-raspberry-cheesecake-bars.html

Forum Image
Raspberry Cheesecake Bars by durandir, on Flickr

Awarded:

Oh yeah, it is going to be a cheesecake kind of Thanksgiving! Cheesecake is nice for low-carb diets - you can skip the crust or make a nut-flour based one, and substitute for the sugar, and you're left with the important part: Cream cheese and eggs! :-) This cranberry cheesecake turned out excellently.

http://www.roxanashomebaking.com/cranberry-cheesecake-recipe/

Forum Image
Cranberry Cheesecake by durandir, on Flickr

Awarded:

There goes my diet!

Awarded:

I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, so i'm intrigued by some of those foods.....

High Officer

Awarded:

I've been doing a LOT of baking this week. :-) Next up, gingerbread scones!

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2012/10/gingerbread-scones.html

Forum Image
Gingerbread Scones by durandir, on Flickr

These turned out really well. Finding powdered sugar-substitute for the frosting proved tricky though - I could have ordered it online but didn't plan far enough ahead. So I threw some (xylitol I think it was) in a food processor and ground it down to powder! It was still a little...granule-y, but it worked.

I have very specific dietary needs.

I need sugar.

I also require salt.

I must have meat constantly

ham does not constitute meat - i'm not sure what it is, exactly, but it doesn't taste like meat

bacon, we have decided, is not actually meat, so much as it is fat held together by meat, but bacon counts as meat for my dietary needs

sugar, salt, meat - not necessarily in that order - liquids can be used to deliver my sugars, if necessary - I suppose I have to absorb water in some form, but it needs to have enough sugar in it to make it palatable - most fruit juices are sufficient

if anyone has recipes suitable to my very specific and delicate dietary needs, I'd appreciate any guidance or advice you can offer

:)

High Officer

Awarded:

Haha! Picky Dale-human eaters are another matter entirely from picky Elven eaters, I see!

that's a good point Len - I may (no, now that I think of it, it's never going to happen) have to make my own thread about cooking for carnivores

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: