Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Andeon
Officer

re: Star Trek Online

while it's certainly not pressing, there is a home for folks of the Lonely Mountain Band amongst the brave new worlds of Star Trek online.

I have created Omega Fleet 001 (naming a fleet is pretty hard when you get into it this late in the game) The Fleet is centered around three foundational premises -

1 - a casual commitment fleet - for most of us, STO is a much lower priority commitment, so I don't expect people to be constantly active in the fleet

2 - a light RP immersion fleet - when in any game, I like just that little extra edge of immersion that comes from accepting that you're more or less meant to be characters within the given world - while we have no issues with dropping rp for the purposes of managing team logistics or whatnot, in general, it would be nice if folks acted as being part of the star trek universe, even the strangely mismatched one that is provided by STO

3 - Professional behavior - something all LMB'ers should be familiar with, I expect any member of the Omega Fleet to behave professionally, courteously, calmly, rationally with the rest of the community, no matter how trollish or wretched

make no mistake, while the community (and arguably the development of) star trek online is far inferior to that of LOTRO, the game itself still has some very high qualities to it, and, if nothing else, is full of flashy shiney and a nice colorful candy-coated shell of Star Trek to make it go down easy.

the fleet is small, but we've already got a couple of LMB'ers there, so I extend this invitation to anyone else that would like a home away from LOTRO - if you have any questions, about the fleet itself, or about STO in general, feel free to post here or send me a pm if you prefer

in the meantime, I bid you all happy hunting!

If I can ever get thru the tutorial.....
Emegas

Awarded:

*Sorry for late reply

Is STO p2p or f2p? Is it story based like lotro or just mashes of quest that follow a made up quest line?

Known as=
Landroval: Mianda, Trignee, and Lahluna
Crickhollow: Emegas, Emalynn, Emberlee, Elestor, and Emilien
Herbigharo

re: Re: Star Trek Online

Andeon wrote:
while it's certainly not pressing, there is a home for folks of the Lonely Mountain Band amongst the brave new worlds of Star Trek online.

I have created Omega Fleet 001 (naming a fleet is pretty hard when you get into it this late in the game) The Fleet is centered around three foundational premises -

1 - a casual commitment fleet - for most of us, STO is a much lower priority commitment, so I don't expect people to be constantly active in the fleet

2 - a light RP immersion fleet - when in any game, I like just that little extra edge of immersion that comes from accepting that you're more or less meant to be characters within the given world - while we have no issues with dropping rp for the purposes of managing team logistics or whatnot, in general, it would be nice if folks acted as being part of the star trek universe, even the strangely mismatched one that is provided by STO

3 - Professional behavior - something all LMB'ers should be familiar with, I expect any member of the Omega Fleet to behave professionally, courteously, calmly, rationally with the rest of the community, no matter how trollish or wretched

make no mistake, while the community (and arguably the development of) star trek online is far inferior to that of LOTRO, the game itself still has some very high qualities to it, and, if nothing else, is full of flashy shiney and a nice colorful candy-coated shell of Star Trek to make it go down easy.

the fleet is small, but we've already got a couple of LMB'ers there, so I extend this invitation to anyone else that would like a home away from LOTRO - if you have any questions, about the fleet itself, or about STO in general, feel free to post here or send me a pm if you prefer

in the meantime, I bid you all happy hunting!

I am so happy to see others who desire spreading the LMB community to other games. Been doing some talking about getting players in WoW to sign a charter on Moon Guard and bring LMB to WoW :-)
Andeon
Officer

Trignee wrote:
*Sorry for late reply

Is STO p2p or f2p? Is it story based like lotro or just mashes of quest that follow a made up quest line?

STO is basically f2p - you can still subscribe, and like many things, it unlocks more storage space, character slots, etc...long term subscription opens up *veteran rewards* which allow extended unlocks beyond basic subscription...etc

oddly, much like Star Trek, Star Trek Online is effectively "episodic" - it has 5 (i think) distinct storyline along the fed side (klingon side operates slightly differently) roughly divided by which race/crisis features most centrally over the episodes (i.e. theres a Borg quest line, a Romulan quest line, a Klingon quest line, etc)

while some of the early writing is fairly thin and formulaic, some of the later "Featured Episodes" get really, really good, and surprisingly star-trek-ish

there's a lot of other details about how the game experience in STO works, but that's the overall breakdown

don't get me wrong - STO has a lot of problems, including mechanical limitations, lots of money-making gimmicks and a far less...professional...community, but if you love Star Trek, there are definitely some high points along the various storylines, and if you're just looking for flashy/shiney, STO has it in spades

feel free to ask more questions if you have any - I'm nothing if not full of passionate critiques about various video games I play :)

Awarded:

With my shiny new computer STO runs really well (it barely ran at all on the old clunker). I'm hoping there's an LMB presence over there, because you guys are brilliant.
I looked up Andeon's Omega Fleet 001 and either it doesn't exist or I'm too much a noob to find it.

Awarded:

If you run into the USS Cousteau, Runes, say hello :)

Alts include: Tinaith the Elven Huntress, Dereborn the Loremaster of Gondor.
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

USS Galway on duty
Cennwyn
Cennwyn

Awarded:

Aedon Durreah wrote:
USS Galway on duty

Nice one!

Runesdaeg

Awarded:

I'm the USS Balfour. My first ship was the Ballantrae. I could say I read too much Robert Louis Stevenson, but there's no such thing as too much.
I have no idea how friends lists work in STO, I keep pressing O and not seeing the LotRO panel I expect. I'll add you guys once I figure it out.

Awarded:

You may find me on the brdige of the USS. Lucille. I'll try to add you all to my Friends list.

Alinniel Level 75 Elf Minstrel Celebari Level 17 Elf Runekeeper Arellith Level 31 Woman Burgler Eustoma Level 18 Hunter and many other characters I'm trying out. Yes I'm an altaholic. Blog: Glimpses from Other Lands

Sonca
Vulpes_Velox
Officer

Awarded:

Is it broken up in to different servers like LOTRO or is everyone playing in the same space?

Omega fleet 001 is still active, although it's nearly impossible to find, thanks to the somewhat unfortunate coincidence that there is in fact a STO-canon-"official" Omega fleet, which is a rep faction, and therefore about a bajillion other Omega fleets exist. I'm working on trying to find a better name for the fleet...

For Sonca, *technically* everyone's in the same play space, but it's all instanced (like layers in Bree) - however, communications between players are universal

so, if you're in layer 10, and your friend is in layer 05, the two of you can still /tell each other without any special instructions

in fact, it actually goes beyond that, for those that are interested, in that ALL player communications are global ACROSS ALL CRYPTIC PLATFORMS - so, if your friend is playing Champions, your other friend is playing Neverwinter, and you're playing STO, you can all /tell each other with impunity. Which is kinda cool, if somewhat immersion-breaking

for anyone that was following LMBers in STO, as mentioned, I have a fleet there for folks, but it is *very* unoccupied at the moment - It's mostly myself and a long-time friend of mine - if you're looking for active fleets, you may wish to seek elsewhere, and with my blessing - I'm not very committed to STO, but there is a fleet there for folks that want to check out what it's like to contribute to a fleet effort without having to form your own - however, there are, of course far more active fleets that are much further along in the process if that's important to you

just a minor update for you all - Live Long, and Prosper!

Awarded:

So...to add a friend, I *think* you need their actual username. Mine, if y'all care to look me up, is Piper@zaianya27 (I think).

Runesdaeg

Awarded:

I think I've got this friends list figured out, I add Character@Player to my list and you then you accept it a la facebook. I'm Aciren@Alivion

Page 1 of 4

Jump to: