Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Captain Ace Galactic

re: Guild Wars 2

I was planning on resisting the temptation to buy yet another game but... I failed.

I just rolled on Tarnished Coast.

Brawn Boone, Human Warrior, level 1

Rick.5720 ... I think.
`Tinki`
Officer

I be Tinki.4136. Tarnished Coast. major lag. I dont know about this game, it smells a lot like Aion-EQ2-Rift-SWTOR in the beginning areas. I cant get into any lore either. Those little people are downright ugly no matter how you play with sliders. Running a veggie ranger at this point. It appears the forums there are closed so learning is much harder. I give it a 5 out of 10.

Master of BOOT,..but otherwise at your service,....And your families.

Harperella
High Officer

I've been quite enjoying GW2. The main thing I like is the artwork and atmosphere of the place. It is most definitely less convincing than LOTRO, but it still holds a lovely charm. I've been largely ineffective in getting our LMB folks into a LMB mirror-guild, so I'd recommend our folks try to meet up with the Rangers of Tyria as a better alternative.

--Harper

I hear ya, Tinki. The only race I like the look/feel of is human and Norn (?) to a lesser degree. The lore seems kinda meh, but all lore will seem that way when I use LOTRO as a yardstick. Visually I love it. Game play... havent done enough to venture an opinion.
Eijah
Eijah

Awarded:

Euan.2731 , i couldn't resist...haven't seen anything on it yet, but i'll join the Tarnished Coast if I can. Contact me anytime! I wouldn't mind finding a good guild like LMB there =)
Herbigharo

re: Yay!!!

Harperella wrote:
I am on Tarnished Coast with Harperella and Harperflora. I will try and found a LMB guild as soon as I figure out how to do it.

If I join GW2, you get Sadgati (character personality profile retired from WoW) :-)
Captain Ace Galactic

When I rolled my first toon I selected Sanctum of Rall (sp) as my home server because Tarnished Coast was full. Later I switched for free when Tarnished was at Heavy pop. So you can move if you need to in order to get on Tarnished Coast.
Eijah
Eijah

Awarded:

Quintan, Human Mesmer , the Tarnished Coast. Going to be trying this til RoR.
Anarwald
Officer

Awarded:

Just created Anarinus, human thief, today on Tarnished Coast -- hopefully he'll be my main character. I also have a human mesmer, Cynerea, whom I won't be playing much. Feel free to chat me up if you ever see me on!

Awarded:

Actually found out that I can use the first name and last names, so changed my human mesmer to Euan Ishida :P.

Anarwald ! You picked thief, i was so close to doing that too. I have only really tested game mechanics , I'll hopefully get to play more tonight!

Euan Ishida, Human Mesmer of the Tarnished Coast

Last edited by Eijah on 2012/09/05 2:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Andeon
Officer

wasn't planning on it, but the pay once and no subscription thing was enough to cement at least a test

Charadon human guardian and Aedden Human Thief have both been rolled up on Tarnished coast - you can find me as Kermit.3691 apparently...

nobody get excited - GW2 is far down on my list so far of things to do - but i've found a few features interesting enough to at least start levelling a couple of characters through to dungeon adventuring and see how that pans out

I've been thinking about it, and even though my highest character is only level 8, I'll say this about my play experience on GW2 so far

world-wise and lore wise, GW2 feels fairly thin, especially in comparison to LOTRO - again, i've only covered a small portion of the game though

but I'm rather liking the questing systems they have in place
1 - theres a personal storyline, which runs pretty much like the epic questline does in LOTRO - the writing isn't really as...ambitious - but it's well written for what it's attempting, and the story is interesting, if not really epic

2 - landscape questing is far more satisfying to me though - there are no real quest hubs/quest givers - instead, there are regions, and various quests to be done for individuals over small sections of that region - the moment you walk into the section, the objectives for those quests become available to you - and, much like LOTRO, there are a combination of kill these, fix those, gather these - but they're ALL in the one quest completion - no killing a group of bandits, then going back to kill the same bandits to get their scarfs, then going back yet again to destroy the barrels that the bandits have been guarding this whole time - instead, you can go in, kill the bandits, destroy the barrels, steal the scarves all at the same time.

the local EVENTS are really quite fun, as well - for one thing, they usually make sense (which is something many quests don't - just "we populated bandits in these fields, so we'll have some bandit quests to give out") given where they're happening and why, which is nice. Two, they recure fairly frequently, so if you spend any reasonable amount of time in a region, you'll see them pop up once or twice, giving you plenty of opportunity to participate - they tend to attract (and require) a large group of people, so its a nice way to coordinate spontaneously with other members of the community, and the xp rewards are nice - all in all, I find those events to be an excellent new addition to the rather casual and freeform questing style they have in place

a warning though - the events almost always have numbers of enemies to challenge large groups of people - if you're solo, you may consider just letting the enemies have it, as you will probably get quickly overwhelmed if you're not solidly over-level

character development wise (i.e. skills and abilities and such) I'm rather liking - it's not *quite* as innovative as people made it out to be (skills get unlocked by using certain weapon sets, but they unlock VERY quickly, so you'll easily unlock all skill variations for any one weapon set within a level) and the utility skills are hard to get a proper gauge on without testing (and it costs skill points to buy a skill so you can test it and see how it *really* works) - but the availability of skill points seems to imply that you'll be able to buy most, if not all, available skills, and it's effectively cost-less to switch from one utility to another, so your utility skills can be very dynamic

hard to sort out the semi-classless system, but I like the idea of it - i'll need to run with some groups in some challenging dungeon encounters though before I can really get an idea of how it works, I expect

the crafting system has all the same basic components every other crafting system seems to have - it does have two minor things in it's favor - you can access your bank directly from the crafting stations AND your bank/crafting stations have a secondary *bank* of sorts for ALL CRAFTING COMPONENTS - each one fits in it's own little slot, which means you basically have a specialized crafting bank - the only downside to all this is that despite having your bank AND crafting bank accessible from the crafting stations, you still have to put mats you are going to craft with in your personal inventory before you can use them - seems like an unnecessary extra step - something they may choose to fix later - but for now, it just seems like they made all these extra features to make crafting easy, and then forget the very last step...which would be having crafting be able to draw directly from your bank stores for the purpose of using up mats...oh well

in game documentation is acceptable, but still lacking in certain key areas - if you're anything like me, you'll spend a considerable amount of time hovering over various icons, waiting for pop up info, then going tot the hints panel, looking for some description, then randomly pushing buttons to see if something happens - I'm *slowly* figuring out all the various interface options, but I'm *really* thinking they could have spent more time writing up more detailed descriptions of all the various doodads - it's still worlds above Star Trek online, though, which, quite frankly, has some of the worst in-game documentation I've ever had the misfortune of having to endure

Combat I'm still getting a handle on - I'm rather liking, for the most part, the far speedier and action-y aspect of combat (I've always found LOTRO combat to be rather dull from the observer side) - it takes time (especially considering the rather vague skill descriptions) to figure it out, but many of the skills have very positional effects, and many of the more challenging enemies have skills that your positional abilities can take advantage of - but it all happens very quickly, so it takes some time to figure out what just happened and which of your skills would be useful against it - still, its a far more exciting and visceral combat system than many mmo's so far (still love COH the most, though) - but the real test will be dungeons, which I'm still quite some distance away from

Character design (i.e. hairstyle, body type etc) is somewhat limited, but not bad - I've only experimented with humans so far - i'm not fond of the other race choices (Norn just seem like tall humans for the most part, I would have made a sylvani huntress, but they get the worst pets I MUST HAVE LIZARDS!!! the Charr I might try out cuz they get the best pet selection, but I've never been fond of hairy types for the most part, and the Asura just creep me out)

why, oh why, oh where for art my lizard people MMO games!!

so, I think those are my thoughts so far after about 2 days of playing and sorting through things

we'll see how it goes over the next week or so, and if it can spike my interest, keep it at least, or fail it.

would anyone be terribly offended if I went to a different server? One of my real life friends is on another and I might have group to play with.

Ham, we'd love to have you with us, but I don't imagine anyone is going to begrudge you specifically setting aside a space for a personal friend - from what I've heard, those of us playing GW2 are doing so very, VERY casually anyway, and aren't expecting anywhere near the kind of commitment that we see from our friends on LOTRO - so I, for one, say you're free to play wherever you wish - at least we'll still have you here in LOTRO, and that's what counts as far as I'm concerned

I'm going to have to release the idea of forming an LMB mirror kin on Tarnished Coast, I just haven't been online enough to recruit. So please see Rangers of Tyria as the unofficial LMB hangout.

--Harper

Awarded:

I would love to see some characters, landscapes, cityscapes and maps if anyone wants to post screenshots.

Page 7 of 10

Jump to: