Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Tales and Fiction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

re: Why is the Coffee Gone

Sitting in the living room of the house in Rohan Aedon sipped from a cup of fresh coffee. The taste was a bit odd at first, but then Greyy was always bringing home some new brews from her voyages. It was a bit more bitter to the taste than his normal coffee, but perhaps in time, he would come to enjoy it. Bringing the cup to his lips he took another deep drink and shuddered a bit as the bitter brew slid down his throat.

Perhaps I will ask Greyy to avoid this blend in the future.

Setting the cup aside, he picked up the book he had been reading, opening it to the page marked by a small green chain. It was a sea going story that he had started some months before, and was finding it hard to progress far into the tale. He read in silence for a few moments, then slammed the book shut.

I swear, this writer does not know the first thing about pirates.

Setting the book aside, he absent-mindedly picked up the cup and took another drink, then immediately spat it back into his cup.

Okay, no more of that.

Settling back into the over stuffed chair he stared into the fire lost in thought.

Now, what was it Greyy was muttering about this morning? A bird? What bird I wonder. I know she has been worried about the Hobbit Corbee. Seems she has not been seen in sometime. If I remember correctly, a ships captain that is part of any sort of fleet will take a homing bird along on a voyage. It is sort of a living signal. But if she is looking for a bird, is she looking towards a cry for help, or an announcement of all is well. And how will the bird know what message to convey unless the bird has learned to talk?
A funny though crossed his mind, and chuckling to himself Aedon muttered;

Perhaps the bird has learned to write letters. Or perhaps the bird itself is the captain of a far ranging sea vessel.

Closing his eyes, Aedon pondered the literary bird and pirate pigeons, as the fire suddenly sprung to life in the hearth. Myriad embers jumped across the logs creating shadows that moved in a hypnotic dance before his slowly closing eyes. At first, he fought against what he knew what was to come. And then, with resignation, and a bit of anticipation, he left the world of the waking, and slipped silently into the Dreaming.

Greyylene
Officer of Rum

Awarded:

Dream Walker

There has always been a preconceived notion that Greyy was only interested in rum. She was happy to let that thought ride, it allowed her to move freely in other pursuits. Her fingers were, in fact, in many pies-don't tell the Hobbits. Rum was merely a larger distraction.

Riding home from a silent mission procuring other things she got home to find all was dark and quiet. There was an air of adventure that lingered. It was assumed she brought it in with her. When she saw Aedon sleeping, or something, it became somewhat clear the adventure was not hers.

Finding him asleep in his chair with a book in his lap and cold coffee on the side table was not unusual. This "rest" felt different. She had seen it before, Hell she'd done similar before. He was on a walk about in the Dream World.

There was soft lingering haze she could see rise around him. It settled around his chair like a blanket enfolding him in an embrace that was as comforting as it was dangerous. He could get lost in the dream unless there was something to tether him to the waking.

Kneeling quietly at his feet she removed his boots and stockings. The cool air would aid in keeping him in the shallows. Finding a small set of bells she tied them around his toes. They looked a little ridiculous and jingled at every twitch, but they had in important purpose. He needed a path back. The bells would mark the way.

Pulling out a blanket she curled up on the sofa next to him. She would sit and keep watch to ensure he returned safely.

"I hope it is a good place you visit", she whispered.
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

Inamorata’s Fury

The howling winds surrounded him making it difficult at times to keep his balance. All about him he could hear those aboard the vessel calling out to one another. The captain, a rather large dove, stood at the wheel steading her craft against the approaching storm. It was a storm like not had ever seen before. Even those accustomed to life aboard Inamorata’s Fury. Making his way towards where Captain Phaen Gray stood, Aedon called out to her.

Phaen, can you hold her alone?

Turning towards him she smiled a pigeon smile saying:

Well, my friend, if I can’t hold her, we are all done for.

It never seemed odd to Aedon that a pigeon was piloting the large craft, or that the crew scurrying about the deck was made up of birds of every sort and size. Making his way to the prow, Aedon stared out at the storm barreling down on them. It was a darkness, and carried aloft on the howling breezes not a feeling of dread so much as one of bewilderment. Inamorata’s Fury sailed directly into the coming storm; a move Captain Gray was accustomed to. This gave Aedon the time he needed to look into the cause of the coming gale.

Many at sea see odd things in storm clouds. Some hear portents of death and the call of the winds has pulled many a sailor into the stormy arms of death. But as the ship breached the outer band of the storm all Aedon could think of was;

Where is that blasted bird?

It was then that the echo of a thousand wings beating against the winds echoed in his mind. It was as though a huge flock of migratory birds were passing overhead. And a call of a voice well known to him echoed above the din of the storm saying.

You are searching in the wrong place my son.

Before he could get out another word he heard the faint ringing of bells. Turning his face from the storm he said aloud.

What fresh hell is this?

Greyylene
Officer of Rum

Awarded:

Late into the evening Greyy watched as embers in the fire danced to their magic beat. The slight chill that floated across her skin suggested may be instead of watching the dying fire she should poke it a bit. Moving quiet as a whisper she knelt at the hearth.

Glancing back at Aedon brought her a bit of concern. He was still clearly in the Dream World. tThe walk about was taking far too long. There had been a slight twitching in his hands that gave evidence of some grand adventure. The longer he remained the more obvious the movements became. It was time to lead him home.

Leaving the fire to dance its final song Greyy stood and watched Aedon a while more. If she tried she could almost see into the dream, then thought better of it. Perhaps another time.

Moving to the door she pulled his chair away from the fire. Turning his feet toward the door released a few more tinkering jingles from the bells. Once the door was open she could hear the horses in the yard and smell the fresh green of Rohan. The hills were in a perpetual state of beckoning. They would be the perfect draw to bring Aedon out of the Dream.

And if that didn't do the trick, there was always the fall back plan. There was a slight sparkle in Greyy's eye as she began to sing a few of the bawdy numbers from the BBB songbook.
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

Aedon stood there for a time listening as bells rang in his head. Tilting his head towards where he felt the sound emanated from, he strained to pinpoint a location. Moving slowly towards the center of the vessel, his eyes searched every corner, and behind every crate and barrel on the deck. Hearing an odd creaking above his head drew his attention from the ringing sound. Looking up he say that many of the pigeon crew had fashioned swings out of the rigging of Inamorata’s Fury, and swung happily above while cooing out some sea shanties. He watched for a few moments, but the ringing of the bells grew louder, and once again he turned his attentions to discovering the source.

Aedon, what are you doing?

Turning towards the voice Aedon saw Captain Phaen Gray leaning on a railing munching on bread crumbs from a bag she held tightly in her wing.

The bells Captain, can you not hear the bells?

Phaen never answered, but instead turned her attention to the bag in her hand as she plunged her pirate beak deep inside scarfing down the contents. The bells sounded louder and louder by the minute, and even covering his ears could not silence the din. Turning his face away from the captain, and ignoring the swingers above him, Aedon ran to the boat’s stern. Here the sound of the bells was louder, piercing the roar of the storm which still surrounded the ship. But there was something else.

Horses? How can I be hearing horses at sea? He said aloud.

An odd answer came from behind him.

What? Have ye never heard of seahorses?

This question Aedon reasoned did not warrant any answer. And so, not even turning towards the voice he stood there listening, and to his surprise, the scent of fresh grass and fields surrounded him.

Rohan, I am in Rohan in my house.

With these few words the storm around him died, and fae ship vanished from beneath his feet. Taking in a deep breath Aedon looked behind him to see his old friend Phaen Gray standing there.

Time to wake up Aedon. She said softly.

Like shattered glass the dream was broken, falling in pieces to the ground around him as the vision of the fae lady faded. The next sound he heard was the very bawdy lyrics of one of the BBB songs they so often played on Saturday Nights in Bree. Opening his eyes, he could see the green fields outside the door of his house and became aware that Greyylene was sitting near him, singing as loudly as she could.

Okay, okay leannan, I am awake. But can you please tell me how my feet got out the front door?

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Tales and Fiction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: