Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Ales and Tales
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Lennidhren
RannaDylin
High Officer

Awarded:

re: Guest readers needed for A&T Podcast! Please help ASAP!

So for last week's A&T we have a story and a poem that need male voices to read them. Locney's already singing two songs on this week's show so we'd like to bring in guest readers for it. All you need to do so is to have a way of recording your voice. We recommend Audacity 'cause it's free and pretty easy to use... http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ to download. It'll also direct you to install the LAME encoder so that you can save the file in mp3 format - much smaller and therefore easier to send to the podcast. Record your story, save it as mp3 and email to alesandtales@gmail.com - that's all it takes. If you have another means of recording that's fine - other file formats are fine too, we can convert them. (I think...)

Current needs for recording are:

(1) Mithrilfist's tale, an Old Forest Adventure

(2) Tamskald's poem, the Coming of Smaug the Worm (from The Hobbit)

Since Mithrilfist and Tamskald are both LMB members - if you'd like to read your own pieces, you two get first dibs. :-) But if you don't want to, volunteers are desperately needed, so post here if you would like to read one of them and I will send you the text.

Awarded:

Sure! I will do this later today. Wow!

Honor and fun,
Mithrilfist a.k.a. Dannigan

"No language is justly studied merely as an aid to other purposes. It will in fact better serve other purposes, philological or historical, when it is studied for love, for itself." - J.R.R. Tolkien, English and Welsh (1955)
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien

My Lonely Mountain Band characters include Dannigan (main, 100th-level Human Warden), Briamil (95th-level Elven Rune-keeper), Gori "Mithrilfist" Brightforge (95th-level Dwarven Champion), Mithrilfists (also Gori, 60th-level Dwarven Guardian), and Whittle (95th-level Hobbit Hunter). Far apart, never alone! =)
Tamoro
Officer

Awarded:

I've done the recording of Tamskald's piece, but I'm a complete novice at using Audacity. I'm not sure what I do after I finish the recording (saving, etc) and getting it in the email for the podcast.

edit:Argh! it didn't save. I'm definitely going to need some help.

High Officer

Awarded:

Most likely what you need is to install the LAME encoder which will allow you to save the recording as an mp3. That'll be smaller and easier to email than a .wav file. Here's the explanation of how to install it:

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Lame_Installation

Once you have that, you should be able to go to File>Export in Audacity and then choose mp3 as the file type.

Awarded:

well, I downloaded lame but for whatever reason Audacity is not detecting it or something, because as i follow the instructions up to the Libraries part, it keeps saying I need to download it still.

High Officer

Awarded:

Aw...Well, another option is to use that File>Export and save it as .wav. That may be too big to email, but you could upload it to Google Docs and email the link to alesandtales@gmail.com. We've used that to transfer files as large as a whole podcast...

Awarded:

This is in the instructions for LAME.. it might be that your version doesn't need it.

Quote:
For 1.3.3 and later users

First, if you are using Audacity Beta 1.3.3 or later, try exporting an MP3 straight away! 1.3.3 or later on Windows will look automatically in your system folders for the LAME encoder. If you already have it, you can export an MP3 by clicking File > Export, then in the Export File dialogue, choose MP3 Files in the Save as type dropdown, and click Save. After completing the Metadata Editor for your ID3 tags (just click OK if you don't want to change the tags), you should see the progress bar for the MP3 export. Otherwise, you will see the "Locate Lame" dialogue. If that occurs, press "Cancel" and proceed as per the following "All users" section.
Dannigan
Officer

Awarded:

Heya Lenn!

"Our Mighty Gourgini" .mp3 has been sent to AlesandTales@gmail.com. =)

Honor and fun,

"No language is justly studied merely as an aid to other purposes. It will in fact better serve other purposes, philological or historical, when it is studied for love, for itself." - J.R.R. Tolkien, English and Welsh (1955)

My Lonely Mountain Band characters include Dannigan (main, 100th-level Human Warden), Briamil (95th-level Elven Rune-keeper), Gori "Mithrilfist" Brightforge (95th-level Dwarven Champion), Mithrilfists (also Gori, 60th-level Dwarven Guardian), and Whittle (95th-level Hobbit Hunter). Far apart, never alone! =)
Lennidhren
RannaDylin
High Officer

Awarded:

Hey Tam - any further luck on recording the poem? It's the last thing I need to finish editing episode 16. :-)

Awarded:

Honestly, I'm really frustrated (feeling like taking an axe and giving my computer a re-programming it won't forget) with it right now, since even following the instructions, it just keeps going in a circle. I'll keep working at it.

High Officer

Awarded:

Will it save in any other format than mp3? If it does, I should be able to convert whatever you can send.

Awarded:

Tamoro wrote:
I've done the recording of Tamskald's piece, but I'm a complete novice at using Audacity. I'm not sure what I do after I finish the recording (saving, etc) and getting it in the email for the podcast.

You should be able to save it as an Audacity project file (.aup) by just hitting File > Save Project. This can later be converted to anything, but whoever does the converting will need both the .aup file, and the "data" folder that goes with it. These should both be in the same directory on your computer -- so for example, if you save your project as "tamspoem.aup" in your My Documents folder (if you use Windows, that is), you should look for a folder called "tamspoem_data" that gets automatically created in My Documents (or whichever directory you saved the file in), and send that along with the .aup to whoever does the converting.

I *think* that's the easiest way to save in Audacity, without having to go through the rigmarole of downloading LAME, setting the path in Audacity, and then exporting. Hope this helps!

Awarded:

Anarwald wrote:
Tamoro wrote:

You should be able to save it as an Audacity project file (.aup) by just hitting File > Save Project. This can later be converted to anything, but whoever does the converting will need both the .aup file, and the "data" folder that goes with it. These should both be in the same directory on your computer -- so for example, if you save your project as "tamspoem.aup" in your My Documents folder (if you use Windows, that is), you should look for a folder called "tamspoem_data" that gets automatically created in My Documents (or whichever directory you saved the file in), and send that along with the .aup to whoever does the converting.

I *think* that's the easiest way to save in Audacity, without having to go through the rigmarole of downloading LAME, setting the path in Audacity, and then exporting. Hope this helps!

Okay, got the aup/data files in My Documents. How do I get them to the email. it's not doing the regular cut/paste stuff via Attatchments. (using Hotmail, not Outlook)

Awarded:

Okay, got it sent off.

Awarded:

"The Hammer Song (for Dannigan)" has been sent to alesandtales@gmail.com. Hooray!

I am working both on "A Dwarven Day" and the tale I have for this next Ales & Tales. =)

Honor and fun,

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Ales and Tales All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: