Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Ales and Tales
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andeon
Officer

re: ales and tales 01/18/2010

as no one has stepped forward as of this post, to my knowledge, I will offer to MC the ales and tales for this upcoming monday, the 18th of january. As it turns out, I have this monday off thanks to Dr. King, and so this will be one of the few ales and tales I'm actually able to attend, and I would hate to miss this opportunity

HOWEVER...as I have only been to one ales and tales, and am not entirely certain what people want, or what format is most desired, should anyone with more experience wish to step forward, I will happily step aside, and offer whatever support I can...

but, until that happens, this upcoming Ales and Tales will be hosted by Andeon, at the The Lonely Mountain Band's Kinhouse, 5 Waterbank Road, Vrithon, Falathorn (Elven) Homesteads, starting 10:30 pm EST (7:30 PST...i think - stupid time zoning) - if anyone would like to suggest a different location that ALSO accommodates people of all levels, please feel free to suggest

hope to see you all there

Andeon

Last edited by Andeon on 2010/01/14 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Well done, Andeon! I'm glad someone will be MCing for us. My general format is this:

Open Ales and Tales w/ an announcement that its starting
Music
Tale
Music
Tale
Music
(optional)Music Mentoring
(optional)Community Calendar
(optional)News of Arda
Music
Closing

I change it every week, but pretty much the formula is music, a tale, more music. If no one is volunteering to do a tale, you can do one yourself, or start /telling people to see if anyone might do a tale. Often people will have tales but are not brave enough to step up in front of everyone. They are not sure when their "slot" is. So give them a slot via /tell!

Some other activities to think about:
1) Group dancing
2) Move the company to a nearby location (to freshen things up)
3) Riddles
4) Best dressed/worst dressed contest
5) Ask for news from Arda (quest news)
6) Propose a toast

Tarnorili and Kaleigh are usually good for a tale or two. Keptwise, Ashenwoods and Fionnuala (if she is there) are good to call upon for music. Ash is usually in the same band as Kept. Fionnuala has her own kin band that shows up.

Good luck, Andeon. You'll do great!

--Harperella
Harperella
High Officer

One last thing--I try to start at 1030pm EST and end by 1200. Generally there is a questing group that assembles afterwards to depart for far off land and a group who sticks around and socializes.

--Harp
Andeon
Officer

re: read my mind...

Harperella wrote:
Well done, Andeon! I'm glad someone will be MCing for us. My general format is this:

Open Ales and Tales w/ an announcement that its starting
Music
Tale
Music
Tale
Music
(optional)Music Mentoring
(optional)Community Calendar

**not sure what this is? upcoming events for the Kin, I assume?**

(optional)News of Arda

**despite the followup below, i'm not entirely sure I understand this one either...are you envisioning people representing their questing as tales of events in Arda, or is there something else to it?

Music
Closing

**All in all, you read my mind - I was hoping to get you to give me a general idea of what Ales and Tales involved, and sure enough, you brought me an excellent outline...thank you very much*

I change it every week, but pretty much the formula is music, a tale, more music. If no one is volunteering to do a tale, you can do one yourself, or start /telling people to see if anyone might do a tale. Often people will have tales but are not brave enough to step up in front of everyone. They are not sure when their "slot" is. So give them a slot via /tell!

Some other activities to think about:
1) Group dancing
2) Move the company to a nearby location (to freshen things up)
3) Riddles
4) Best dressed/worst dressed contest
5) Ask for news from Arda (quest news)
6) Propose a toast

interesting ideas, and I've seen some of the implemented - I also found the smoking contest to be quite interesting, and wish the mounted races were still competitive, but I can see how those might have suffered from issues - I was also imagining scavenger hunts, or hide-and-seek games, but not sure how to implement them (people could just turn on *names* and find people that way...*shrug*) but those are all ideas for later...

Tarnorili and Kaleigh are usually good for a tale or two. Keptwise, Ashenwoods and Fionnuala (if she is there) are good to call upon for music. Ash is usually in the same band as Kept. Fionnuala has her own kin band that shows up.

I shall certainly keep them in mind, and I'm sure I can count on the regulars of Ales and Tales to prop me up should I begin to falter :) We shall miss you, Harperella, wish you a most fulfilling vacation, and look forward to your return!

--Harperella

p.s. - if you can think of a more exciting, but still easily accessible location, I'd love the input - i had thought of the prancing pony, and was somewhat curious about what the bree festival grounds look like after the yule festival is over...but the Kinhouse is safe, and well known, and quite lovely and spacious, so I figured I'd stick with that unless something came up...

Having Ales and Tales at Aerlinnbar should be just fine coming up. We've been doing a tour of homestead kinhalls lately it seems. There was the Oak N Barrell in the Shire, the Broken Cask in Breeland, and now us. We'll have to get over to Thorin's gate as well. A word of caution though, we had a really scanty showing last week. I think part of it was from being at a hard-to-find housing instance instead of a recognizable landmark.

But Aerlinnbar it is. Suggestions for the locale would be to start in the circle of stones outside the hall. The move from there to the main kin hall with its stage and nearby bucket o tentacles.

Since we are putting this on at Aerlinnbar, make sure to have some kin on hand with pipeweed and plenty of Old Winyards.

--Harperella
KeptWandering

Aerlinnbar? Where and what is that?

I think part of the problem with the showing of folks this week was, like me, many were confused as to where The Broken Cask actually was located.

I had to ask, to which I was told, it's in Durrow.....hmm..okay...I give, where's Durrow, to which I was finally told, Broken Cask, 5 Long St., Durrow, Breeland Homesteads.

Anytime we hold A&T in a housing instance, it's important to give as complete as possible information on the location.

For instance, if held at our Kinhouse:

The Lonely Mountain Band's Kinhouse, 5 Waterbank Road, Vrithon, Falathorn (Elven) Homesteads.

It's really great to see LMB announce the location much further in advance, than it used to be, but it's also important to be specific as we can about announcing the actual location.

Just as an aside, I have suggested the Tag and Freeze-Tag locations near the Bree fairgrounds in the past. It's low level friendly, not real hard to find, if noted it is "Just east/southeast of the Breeland Fairgrounds". Mentioning this mainly because Andeon had mentioned the Fairgrounds and Low level friendly. I think it also be a nice "wrinkle", activity wise for the evening having those two games available as well.

KeptWandering wrote:
Aerlinnbar? Where and what is that?

For instance, if held at our Kinhouse:

The Lonely Mountain Band's Kinhouse, 5 Waterbank Road, Vrithon, Falathorn (Elven) Homesteads.

Aerlinnbar is the name of our kinhouse.

Rocknose wrote:
Aerlinnbar is the name of our kinhouse.

Honestly....I've been in the kin since August, and that's the first time I've ever heard our kinhouse has a name.

Which kind of reinforces my point above. If I, as a kinmember, don't know that, how are those outside the kin able to know that.

If all we advertised was "This weeks Ales & Tales to be held at Aerlinnbar", I'd expect a rather thin crowd and alot of folks scratching their heads wondering where that was.

But if we advertised "This weeks Ales & Tales to be held at Aerlinnbar, the Kinhouse of The Lonely Mountain Band, at 5 Waterbank Road, Vrithon, in the Falathorn (Elven) Homesteads.", I'd expect more folks to show up and less scratching of heads. tongue out

re: perhaps a little late...

but an excellent idea, nonetheless...I shall edit the MOTD and the forum announcement to include that information, although now I feel sad...i had no idea there was a freeze-tag game near the fairgrounds - had I known earlier, I might have pushed harder for that, as it sounds like quite a bit of fun...who knows, maybe, once ales and tales at the kinhouse slows down, we'll move there for a game or some such...

in any event, thanks for the input rocknose, and I'll try to get it edited with whatever time we have left...

Andeon

Has any one noticed that there is a small ruins structure south of the Bree fair grounds, you can play a game of tag there, I don't know if it was a yule event or if its always there. No one was ever near it so i never got to try it.
KeptWandering

halheronnas wrote:
Has any one noticed that there is a small ruins structure south of the Bree fair grounds, you can play a game of tag there, I don't know if it was a yule event or if its always there. No one was ever near it so i never got to try it.

There are 2 sets of ruins there, each with a different version of "Tag". One is the regular "Tag" (You're IT!), and the other ruin has a game of "Freeze Tag" (once the person who's "IT" tags you, you are frozen in place, once all are frozen, the game begins again...btw, just like the RL kids game of Freeze Tag, those who are not IT and not frozen and "Unfreeze" others.)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: