Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crystalleowyn

re: LOTR TV series

Oh, Tolkien wrote a lot of books about Middle Earth besides the Silmarillion, so they have a lot to draw on.

Now whether they produce something great or just another potboiler series that starts good and then decays into nothing but cringeworthy 21st century poplibism, we shall see. There's a lot they can't do in a Third Age story without getting panned even by the political-brained reviewers, but I won't let my kids watch this, or even mention it to them, until after we've reviewed every episode in the first season.
Harnuth

Like everyone else, I am hopeful but skeptical. Amazon hasn't had a good track record so far in the series production department, so I hope for the best and expect the worst.

Last edited by Harnuth on 2017/12/14 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total

"Alas for peaceful folk everywhere.  It is an enormous task to convince them that evil people with evil intentions will commit evil deeds." --Aragorn
Dancyn
Dancyn/Muinbes

Awarded:

Hoping for the BEST!!!

~Dancyn

Dancyn, Elf Minstrel, Landroval

Muinbes, High Elf Minstrel, Landroval

Muinbes, High Elf Lore Master, Gladden

Carica
Carica Zoi
Chicken Officer

Awarded:

Mostly skeptical and worried with sliver of hope and anticipation.
It would be nice to have a fantasy series I can actually watch with the family though. Can't do that with GoT. blushing

Here's hoping for the best, they must know that many of the Tolkien fans will be watching with a discerning eye. Historically, much of what Bezos/Amazon has done, has been done well , and they surely have the resources to put together a top shelf production. I'm excited and hopeful, at least for now..!
Rheniogil

It isn't all that hard to find violence and drama in Middle Earth; it's mainly the sex that would be out of place. Particularly with relatively few compelling female characters.
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

I am both hopeful and fearful on this. There is so much material they could cover from The Silmarilion and various background materials that would be intriguing, dramatic and action-worthy without having to "add" any GoT-style sex/violence/drama. I would think that to compete with GoT they should contrast rather than emulate. "Children of Hurin" and the Beren & Luthien story would both be good choices as stand-alone seasons, but the entire First Age saga of the Silmarils could keep them busy for several seasons.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

I would love a good LotR series. Unfortunately, the article I read was talking about "sex, violence, and drama like Game of Thrones" which doesn't fit in the Tolkien world at all. GoT is already going to do a spin-off, so why even try to compete with that? I'd like to see a story about Aragorn's ancestors. What would you like to see?

re: Re: LOTR TV series

NoCyg wrote:
I'm excited but also nervous. I'm interested to see what storylines they are actually pursuing.

This is how I'm feeling about it too. I hope they do a great job of it! I see on Twitter that people are trying to get the Tolkien Professor involved. That would be amazing :D

I suppose it'll be a little like the stuff that DIDN'T BELONG in the Hobbit films. Ahem.
Calycanthus
NoCyg
Officer

Amazon just officially announced a multi-season LOTR TV series, which is going to be set at some point before Fellowship of the Ring and will explore "previously unexplored stories based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s original writings." (I have to admit, the phrasing makes me wonder if they're going to be working with the Silmarillion, although that's not really LOTR.)

I'm excited but also nervous. I'm interested to see what storylines they are actually pursuing.

(Sources: CNN and The Hollywood Reporter)
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: