Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Lindalë
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avangrod

re: How complicated is it?

How complicated is it to create an abc file to play in game?

I am a new recruit to the Lonely Mountain Band, and very new to the game itself. I have been going around online learning more about the game, and one thing I heard about here at the LMB website was that people can play music with instruments. Now I have some traditional music files I would really like to play in game, particularly some bagpipe music, and I also used to play the tin whistle, and I was thinking about recording myself playing the tin whistle to play it in game.
I tried online and with some desktop programs to convert an mp3 to a midi file with no success (my plan was to convert the midi to an abc file with another converter I found). If you have any advice on how I can create abc files, or if it would be alright to follow the LMB forum instructions to email you a zip file (although it would be more convenient to do it myself) please let me know.

Sincerely,

Avangrod / Lost Carcosa
Eilye
Officer

Hi Avangrod.

The usual methods are using Maestro to convert from midi (more common), or hand-coding the ABC notation (less common - the domain of the musically gifted). Others also dabble in midi software to edit the music prior to conversion.

I think your best bet would be to search for midis of some of the traditional pieces that interest you, and use them as a starting point for conversion.

As for playing in-game, look for the Songbook (or SongbookBB) plugin. It's not strictly necessary, but it gives you a bit of a UI so that you don't have to type the music commands.
Avangrod

OK my first problem is that I found this link http://www.aiseesoft.com/tutorial/mp3-to-midi.html on how to convert mp3 music files (I have many on my computer that I ripped myself from CDs I own) to midi files, but for some reason I cannot get the music to convert no matter which way I try.... I think if I could figure out how to convert mp3 to midi I would be all set.
I have tried audacity with no luck as well as a couple online converters. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to find the music I have as a midi file, and if I record my own music I will need to figure out how to make it a midi file too.

One mp3 file in particular I would like to convert from an album I have by Christy Moore called the Iron Behind the Velvet, has one of my favorite bagpipe instrumentals called "Tommy Coen's, The Youngest Daughter, The Flax In Bloom"
Thanks again!

Avangrod
Avangrod

OK here is an update... this is a little more complicated than I thought, but I found some videos on youtube such as this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhj8fyUgesw that give instructions for converting an audo file to midi.... I have soundforge so that will be helpful.

Edit: After researching this all day, I found a program that will convert Wav files to midi files... it's called Melodyne... a little pricey but worth it if I am going to record my own music. Tried playing a complex music file on my flute in game and it was too fast and didn't sound too good... I think something more simple will work better, but once I learn the bagpipes I will give it another shot!
Tearna Quickfoot

Yes, there is a whole other set of issues to navigate when it comes to abc's and music in game other than the fact that you only get 3 octaves to work with.

Starting with the fact that the game engine will only broadcast a certain number of sounds at any given time... I forget the exact number... a bit over 100 as I recall... BUT that includes all noises in the game including ambient sounds, emotes noises, etc. In a fast busy song, you can quickly overwhelm that threshold and so there will be notes/tones that are dropped.... the abc file played them, but the game engine ignored them.

Also, your music is affected by lag in the area, which can affect the rhythm if you are getting lots of stutters in the game. And the time signature you use in you abc file can affect whether it is smooth or has hiccups. Lotro ABC doesn't handle all time signatures equally, and I've been advised that one should always use a signature divisible by 4. Then there are the issues with trills and triplets and such (that you often find in traditional music)though Maestro does a much better job with those... but you have to use the 'buttons' to turn it on.

Very often, those who have really good songs that play in game, did a lot of work in the background tweaking the midi file (anvil studio is great for editing- or creating from scratch- midi files) so that it is more balanced once converted to abc for lotro.

There are many threads on our forums, the lotro forums and other musicians forums about the ins and outs of how to deal with lotro ABC. Hang in there!!

You remind me of myself. I love a lot of songs that just aren't in midi files and when I first started trying to transcribe it was the tune "I am going to the west" by Connie Dover. I so wanted to tweak the lyrics to turn it into an elfy song about sailing west... the tone of the music so fits that mood!

But alas, no midi files to be found so I tried writing it directly in abc language and I did okay with the melody and some simple chords along the way, but bogged down then with any other embellishments in the background. haha I should go back and try to work on it in Anvil where I can write each part as a separate track and then combine them all in 1 instrument in abc.

But I have a goodly list of tunes I'd love to see in midi that likely never will be... "I follow fires" by Matthew and the Atlas, and "john riley" by Tim O'Brien (lyrics: "adventure calls... some get drunk on demon rum and some get drunk on glory" seems to fit middle earth so well haha though the rest of the lyrics would have to be tweaked) in particular! haha Oh well...

And welcome to LMB!!

Officer

Awarded:

It is very hard (almost impossible) to convert MP3s to MIDI and preserve the instrument and especially vocal into their own separate tracks. Almost all MIDI files are are arranged and recorded by someone manually and have the transcriber's own personal touch.
Anvil Studio is a nice free program to write your own MIDI or sheet music.

I actually hand code all my abcs so I can fine-tune exact notes and beats, but it definitely helps to have a sheet music to refer to.
Here is a good guide if you ever want to get into that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Lindalë All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: