Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Ales and Tales
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2
Tearna Quickfoot
Pink Officer

re: To Tale Or Not...That Is The Question

I am not sure a "story" night would be such a good idea. I love the stories, and yet if they go overlong it becomes ... tedious. Even a good story can grow tiresome.... not because the story is not great, but because I have to consume it at the pace of the storyteller, not my own pace. I've been in sessions where a tale went 20-30 minutes and I was weary when they finished and was not ready to entertain the reading of another tale.

Just my 2 coppers... :)

Other active games: ESO (Tearna, T'nar, Tealan, etc.)
Lhinnthel
Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

I have always loved the idea of "Ales & Tales." The event is, in fact, what drew me to The LMB in the first place. I have very fond memories of listening raptly to Melanie, Dannigan, and others present a tale at Ales and Tales in years past. I do think Tearna and Tulenn are correct in their assumption of why we've not had more tales lately-- Tales are more work and not everyone has the time or the ability to weave one. Or, if they do, they may be too shy to share.

I would love to have more tales again and have great admiration for those who take the time to craft and share their work. To remedy the problem of a tale being over-long (say, no more than 10-15 minutes), we've often had the tellers break their story into segments to present over several weeks. It has worked very well in the past, with folks returning each week to listen in.

Also Tearna brings up a very good point about trying to pace the story so it doesn't scroll by too quickly or in too large of a word wall. A story, I believe, is a welcome change and one that many do enjoy and look forward to at our weekly gathering! In the Old Winyards' chat, we are always excited when we have a guest sign up to tell a story, recite a poem or act out a skit. A bit of variety is what makes life interesting, after all!

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Eilye
Field Marshal

I won't opine on particulars such as audience emoting, chat speed and the like. But I did want to say that I would be very sad indeed to hear our beloved Flyt swear off of storytelling. I assure you there are many of us that highly value your contributions (even if their snooty Elven characters would never admit to it).
Hannariel/Brioney

Awarded:

re: re: To Tale Or Not...That Is The Question

I rather like Halgoreth's idea of suitable music played for a tale.

bandleader
Harnuth

Having never seen a story at an LMB event, I'll play my advantage of ignorance here.

I suspect that the longest time I would be able to keep my attention focused on reading a story in LOTRO chat is about 5 minutes, maybe less. That means such as story needs to be 600 to 1,000 words long; certainly no more. Based on my experience, it can be fiendishly difficult to write a 1,000-word story; but it *is* possible.

It might work better to use an audio stream (via some service like Shoutcast) and read the story aloud instead of typing it. Have audience members open the media stream in some program such as VLC Media Player. Folks do that in Second Life all the time, hundreds of times a day (usually for DJ music streams, but sometimes for stories).

An audio presentation would be more like real-world story-telling and it lets folks in the audience control the relative volume level of in-world distractions. The drawbacks are that the story-teller needs a microphone, some media streaming software, and a streaming service; and the audience needs to manually enter a URL for the media stream into an external media player.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Ales and Tales All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: