Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Carrie Fisher, ‘Star Wars’ Royalty, Dies at 60

From the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/movies/carrie-fisher-dead-star-wars-princess-leia.html

Carrie Fisher, the actress, author and screenwriter who brought a rare combination of nerve, grit and hopefulness to her most indelible role, as Princess Leia in the “Star Wars” movie franchise phenomenon, died on Tuesday morning. She was 60.

“It is with a very deep sadness that Billie Lourd confirms that her beloved mother, Carrie Fisher, passed away at 8:55 this morning,” a family spokesman, Simon Hall, wrote in a statement.

Ms. Fisher had a heart attack on a flight from London to Los Angeles on Friday and had been hospitalized in Los Angeles.

Ms. Fisher, the daughter of the pop singer Eddie Fisher and the actress Debbie Reynolds, went on to use her perch among Hollywood royalty to offer wry commentary in her books on the paradoxes and absurdities of the entertainment industry.

“Star Wars,” released in 1977, turned her overnight into an international movie star. The film, written and directed by George Lucas, traveled around the world, drawing record box-office numbers. It proved to be the first installment of a blockbuster space adventure franchise whose vivid, even preposterous characters — living “a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away,” as the opening sequence announced — became pop culture legends and the progenitors of a merchandising bonanza.

Ms. Fisher established Princess Leia as a damsel who could very much deal with her own distress, whether facing down the villainy of the dreaded Darth Vader or the romantic interests of the roguish smuggler Han Solo.

Awarded:

Oh dear, that is sad news. I had seen the initial headlines, but thought things had become stable since then. She remains an inspiration, not only for her role as Princess Leia but for her advocacy and example of how to thrive with mental illness. She will certainly be missed (as will so many others lost this past year).

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Carica
Carica Zoi
Chicken Officer

Awarded:

2016 has been the worst year for celebrities. sad

Officer

Awarded:

I know they usually go in threes... but on the same day??

Carrie Fisher

Richard Adams (Watership Down author)

George S Irving (Tony award winning actor - voiced Heatmiser in the Rankin-Bass "Year without a Santa Claus")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbfgVEk-mxQ

2016 is being a real bastage right up to the end...

Awarded:

Sometimes, words fail when we lose someone we enjoy.

Hearts and Bones (abc)

Simon wrote it inspired by his relationship with Carrie Fisher, and it proved strangely prophetic.
https://americansongwriter.com/2012/04/paul-simon-hearts-and-bones/

I think it's one of his finest pieces and is one of my favorite love songs.
Mar-Evayave

Debbie Reynolds (Carrie's mom) just died of a stroke while planning the funeral. sad

R8 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) @ Landroval
Freemark
CEC Officer

Awarded:

I cannot believe we have lost two very special people in so short of a time. Carrie Fisher has always been very inspirational to me. I will miss Princess Leah (Carrie Fisher of course) and her mom Debbie Reynolds very much.
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

They are together in the Force. I'm glad they were able to reconcile before they passed.

Jump to: