Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Lindalë
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corulin
Corumael
Officer

Awarded:

re: Maestro problems?

I was having some problems with Maestro a while ago and I still have them so I haven't been making many ABC's, and the problems seem to change every time I use Maestro.

Here's a few:

When I save as .msx
* when I move the file it needs me to find the midi again. Except that it won't work anyway now.
* when I open the .msx file to continue the drums have lost all sound, and/or all other tracks have been moved around
* when I open the .msx file to continue, sometimes all the instruments will have moved places and "squished together" like this:

Normal:
track 1 Drum
track 2 Lute
track 3 SKIPPED because it was an unneeded track in the midi
track 4 Flute
track 5 Flute
track 6 SKIPPED because it was an unneeded track in the midi
track 7 SKIPPED because it was an unneeded track in the midi
track 8 Horn
track 9 Clarinet
track 10 Pibgorn

When continuing later:
track 1 Drum
track 2 Lute
track 3 Flute
track 4 Flute
track 5 Horn
track 6 Clarinet
track 7 Pibgorn
track 8 SKIPPED
track 9 SKIPPED
track 10 SKIPPED

The instruments were automatically moved to a different track to fill in the spaces where I had left out a track I didn't need.

But the problems change and aren't always that neat so every time I make an ABC I worry that there will be hidden problems that I won't notice until later which would give me added workload if I end up with tons of messed up ABC's to fix.

Has anyone else noticed any problems? Should I try to reinstall?

Officer

Awarded:

I would love to help but I never save as .msx, not quite sure why anyone would need to

Jigs and Reels a speciality; Laments on request. Low prices, will work for pie
Corulin
Corumael
Officer

Awarded:

Keli wrote:
I would love to help but I never save as .msx, not quite sure why anyone would need to

I use it because many tracks have notes that go out into the reds, and if I save as ABC they get moved out of the red which can change the melody so if I later want to raise or lower the track an octave or so (so that it plays higher or lower down) I'll have to redo the whole ABC from scratch to get the former red notes back to their original places. The .msx file keeps the original places of the notes so I can do small edits Happy

Also, many midis have more tracks than needed, and I might skip some and then want to add one of them to the ABC later, or maybe need to edit the volume of part of a track that used to be on three different tracks in the midi. Saving as .msx would make everything very easy, if only it worked properly for me

EDIT: I have some workaround that I do to help me avoid the problems, but those add a lot of extra work as well, and I still don't know if there sneaks in other problems that I don't notice. För example, I add instruments for all the tracks I don't want and name them (remove), that stops Maestro from rearranging all the tracks, but I have no idea how to stop it form removing all sound from the drums. Sometimes they're all grey, sometimes they work as they should, and I have no idea what triggers the emptying of the drum tracks :o

Hi there,

1rst, don't let yur drunken elf tweaks yur midi files^^

2nd, an uninstall and new install could be good for health^^.
Just think to save some of yur specifics Drums maps yu made if yu don't want to bother yurself to make it again and again.

3rd : I confirm it's not good to edit a .abc with Maestro except for minor changes.

4rth : .msx file is very VERY useful to work with Maestro but yu need to keep in mind some constraints :

* when I move the file it needs me to find the midi again.
YES, it is how it works.

Solution ? Don't move the midi file anyway. Or be very well organized.

Example :
- For my own, now, I'm always working in a only one special Music directory for all the .mid I want to translate.
- All my midi files have an explicit name and a version number. Same for my .msx files which have the same name and version number.
That for me to not lose my mind each time I can't put my hand on a specific file I need^^

The big constraints yu have experimented by yurself is :

- Never move your tracks in the midi file when yu have already edit and create a .msx file before.

Many tips :

- If yu need to rework an existing midi track, basics work on it should not have any consequences : add some notes, change transpose or volume...

- But, If yu need to make a big improvment of yur midi track, duplicate the track and add it at the end of your tracks list in MIDI editor.

- The rule is : in MIDI editor, always ADD new track at the end of the tracks list. AND, never delete any midi track^^ (this will change the tracks order)

That's because Maestro will try to find the old tracks order (saved in the .msx) before the changes.
Just add new tracks at the end will allow Maestro to find the old tracks at the good place with the old right settings and it just add the new tracks at the end of the tracks list, in grey, of course, before any settings.

Because this kind of constrainst, I suggest you to not delete any midi track or change tracks order. For those yu which to delete, just don't do any assignement to them in Maestro (check/uncheck track).

For the order tracks, it's not a problem because you can manage the abc track order as you want for your final .abc version which is the target.

A last tips, in case of big mess :
- Anyway, .msx file is only a .xml file editable format (as text file). So, yu can always take a look in the .msx file with a text editor and move by yourself and manage the sections you need to recover something that fits with what yu want.

I'm sorry, Coru, it's not so easy for me to explain that more clearly in english ;) Hope it could help a bit.

Zed'
Corulin
Corumael
Officer

Awarded:

Hello! Thank you for all those tips!

Didn't know you could look at an .msx file in a text editor! That's very practical!

I'll try a reinstall and see if some of the problems goes away Happy

I don't really mind having to search for the MIDI file again if I move it since I keep the ones I have used sorted in their own folder, the problem is that even though I found the right file, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I have no idea why

Several of my .msx files have had their drum track emptied, and other files have both had it emptied and also all the instruments switching places with each other (for example, the theorbo might steal the melody track, and the flutes might be playing the theorbo and horn tracks) even though I haven't touched the MIDI in any way, except to drag it into Maestro Some of them are such a mess that if I ever want to edit it again, I will have to start over from scratch.

Also, I noticed just now that some of the .msx files want me to go find the MIDI file I used, while others want me to find an ABC I was hoping all the MIDI ones would work and the ABC ones would be the broken ones, but I have broken and working .msx files of both sorts. No idea what's up I blame goblins! envy

zedrockk wrote:
1rst, don't let yur drunken elf tweaks yur midi files^^

Aww, but they're so cheap to hire since they can never remember if they have been payed or not so I just tell them I payed them yesterday

Keli wrote:

I try to do (almost) all my arranging and editing in the MIDI. I often end up with a dozen different test versions or revisions. I don't want to re-enter all my instrument assignments, transposition and volume adjustments all over again every time I change something in the MIDI. I may have spent hours fine-tuning all those assignments and settings. So as not to lose that product of my labour, I save the .msx file.

If I edit the MIDI, I can just click the .msx file, and it will load my newly altered MIDI and apply all those settings. If I want to open it with one of the other versions of the MIDI, I either move the previous source file (or modify its name...either way, it's just to make it so that Maestro can't find it) and re-open the .msx file. Then, when Maestro prompts me to locate the missing source file, I just select the MIDI file I currently desire. (I wish there was a menu function that would allow one to change the source MIDI without having to save the .msx again, then close and reopen Maestro. But there's not. Oh well.)

To be honest, Keli, I'm a little surprised that you make so many great, carefully adjusted ABCs (which likely requires a lot of back and forth at least a dozen times between Maestro and re-editing the MIDI) without ever saving the Maestro file so your Maestro progress is not lost when you look at another song or wish to finish it up another day. Perhaps you never close Maestro until you're done with the song, and without ever needing to peek at others. (I really wish one could open multiple instances of Maestro at the same time. Maybe there is a way, but I suspect that limitation might be due it being a Java app.)

Or maybe you're so skilled at remembering all the settings you decided on that reconstructing them in another session doesn't take much time. That's something I've just never been able to do. If so, my hat’s off to you. Whenever I attempt that, even if I try to take careful notes, I'm always faced with questions like “Huh? If I gave String Ensemble 2 to my Clarinet, then where the heck did I decide was the best place to put the Vocal Aahs? And was the Flute really that shrill before?”.
Halgoreth
Halgoreth

Corumael wrote:

Didn't know you could look at an .msx file in a text editor!

I didn't, either. Big thanks to Zed on that tip! It might come in very handy for me on songs where I had to insert “dummy tracks” into the MIDI to maintain the order that my existing .msx file expects.

Sometimes, I end up with more tracks than will fit on my screen in Maestro (or even more than Maestro will allow), even though I might only be using five of them. Being unable to see simultaneously both the original vocal track near the top and my modified version near the bottom (so that, during playback review, I can see both of them without scrolling and also easily switch between them on-the-fly) has been a real pain at times. If I can edit the .msx, then I can clean up and re-order the MIDI and change the .msx to match it.

As to tracks vanishing, getting combined or the instruments getting assigned in an unexpected manner, look at not only the *order* of the tracks in the MIDI, but also at their channel assignments. If you have two MIDI tracks sharing the same channel, Maestro typically combines them.

I have not observed Maestro caring about what the channel numbers are. That is, it doesn't matter if you changed them from 9-11-7-10-3 to 1-2-3-4-5, but it may try to make a combination if you had accidentally changed it to 1-2-3-10-3, because the third and fifth track are on the same channel. (It also doesn't seem to care if you change the track names MIDI instruments, other than for percussion.)

As Zed indicated, adding (and *sometimes*, even deleting) tracks usually won't cause errors or unwanted results as long as all the tracks you are actually using remain in the same positions. (That is, if you use track 5, but wish to delete track 4, you will still need at least a dummy track in there so track five does not change position. However, note that Maestro usually ignores tracks that are completely blank, so your dummy track needs to have some sounds on it. It might also ignore tracks that have zero volume.)

Sometimes, I get an error if I deleted a track at the end, even if I'm not using it. I'm not sure, but that might be because I had temporarily assigned it to something and changed the volume or transposition before unassigning it. As you have surely noticed, Maestro remembers those settings if you assign that ABC part to it again. Thus, the error on the deleted, but unused track may be because that setting, even though inactive, is recorded in the file and still contains a reference to the deleted track.

As an alternative to editing the .msx file and trying to locate and delete the obsolete reference, you might be able to repair it by opening it using your earlier MIDI file (the one that opens properly because it still has all the tracks) as the source. For each ABC part, make a duplicate with the same assignments and other settings, then delete the originals. When you save the file, all ABC part records that contained references to any of the tracks you are not using should be then be gone.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Lindalë All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: