Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Craicwyth
RohanArchitect
Officer

Awarded:

re: Formation Riding Team: 2016 SRC

I am starting thread to gauge the interest in performing in a formation riding program during the Spring Racing Carnival. To quote Kiralynn,

Kiralynn of Rohan wrote:
For those who are unfamiliar with formation riding, it is an equestrian sport similar to "quadrille dressage". Four or more riders perform a routine to music. During the routine, they guide their horses on the field, forming interesting shapes and maneuvers. The routines are easy to learn, once you get the hang of it. It's challenging yet fun.

Given the limited amount of time, I would like to have three separate groups of riders each perform a three minute routine, and possibly combine for another two to three minute twelve-rider (or eight-rider) routine as a finale. I am hoping the brevity of each routine will make them easier to learn. However, this does mean I need a lot of new volunteers. Anyone, regardless of experience, is welcome to join in. Each group will practice one day a week, with possible additional practices as the performance nears. If you are interested, please let me know what times you might work for you.

Finally, here is a video of last year's performance. I hope to see you at the Horsefields in the near future!

Awarded:

*bounces up and down*
I was hoping there would be one this year that I could play in!!
Other than a cruise the first week of May I should be around for practices and such!
Kaerri
Kaerri
Officer

Awarded:

I'm interested, but I could never make practices in the past because it didn't fit my schedule. Midweek is next to impossible for me. sad Would there be a weekend time? Or Mondays? I can generally do Mondays if it's done by 9 p.m. servertime (the other reason I couldn't make previous practices).

Officer

Awarded:

Caiyyd wrote:
*bounces up and down*
I was hoping there would be one this year that I could play in!!
Other than a cruise the first week of May I should be around for practices and such!

And I was really hoping that you might you would be able to participate again, Caiyyd!

Kaerri wrote:
I'm interested, but I could never make practices in the past because it didn't fit my schedule. Midweek is next to impossible for me. sad Would there be a weekend time? Or Mondays? I can generally do Mondays if it's done by 9 p.m. servertime (the other reason I couldn't make previous practices).

I am not sure about scheduling yet, but I hope that, with multiple groups, everyone who wants to participate will be able to meet at a feasible time. Weekends are certainly feasible; Mondays may be more difficult to plan around due to Ales and Tales. But I certainly hope that we may be able to work something so you can attend, Kaerri!

Awarded:

Last year our practices were on Saturday mornings. I'm assuming it would be the same this year?

I'm not sure I can commit to formation riding as my schedule is a bit busier this year but it sure was fun and I'm just trying to figure it out.... Wondering how it would be different with 3 different teams.... as far as practice times, frequency of practices, etc...

Alt Kins:
Silvermoon Manor: alts-Sugarbell, Halliwyn, Callabeth, Jesstan, Orinhir, Audli, Candriell, Grif             
Silvermoon Vintners: alts-Darcyil, Jilanna, Esdell             
The Ravenhill Rovers: alts-Bekk, Draim, Nathrec

On Crickhollow: Tulenn & Cloverly (Old Winyards Kinship)
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

Count me in also.

P.S. We may not be able to find one or two times that work for everyone every week *nods sagely*. Hopefully we can find enough times for enough folks to practice enough of the routine enoughly? tongue out

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Lhinnthel
Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

I would be thrilled to join the riding team again! Most weekend times should be Okay for me, as well as weeknights. Mondays would be tricky for me, due to A&T, but I'll try to make whatever schedule is set work!

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Kaerri
Kaerri
Officer

Awarded:

Well, when I said Mondays, I really meant all day (since I have Monday off) so that wouldn't necessarily interfere with A&T at all. ;) Anyone else good for Monday day practice or would weekends be better for everyone?

Also, I didn't realize practice was Saturday morning last year. I can certainly do that, most weekends.

Awarded:

No experience in formation riding (in-game that is!!)
very interested...& hoping RL schedule allows!!

Dancyn

~Dancyn

Dancyn, Elf Minstrel, Landroval

Muinbes, High Elf Minstrel, Landroval

Muinbes, High Elf Lore Master, Gladden

Craicwyth
RohanArchitect
Officer

Awarded:

Tulenn wrote:
Last year our practices were on Saturday mornings. I'm assuming it would be the same this year?

I'm not sure I can commit to formation riding as my schedule is a bit busier this year but it sure was fun and I'm just trying to figure it out.... Wondering how it would be different with 3 different teams.... as far as practice times, frequency of practices, etc...

I probably did not make myself sufficiently clear, but the idea is that, ideally, only I will be directly involved with each team; each will be doing their separate without necessarily being in contact with any other team. Practice frequency (again, except from my perspective!) will be identical to last year.

Byrcha wrote:
Count me in also.

P.S. We may not be able to find one or two times that work for everyone every week *nods sagely*. Hopefully we can find enough times for enough folks to practice enough of the routine enoughly? tongue out

Hurray! It is always a delight to have you on board, Byrcha! And that is a genuine concern. If it is not working out in these early stages, I will either write a more conventional performance, hand it off to someone else who wants to give it a try, or scrap the entire thing for the time.

Lhinnthel wrote:
I would be thrilled to join the riding team again! Most weekend times should be Okay for me, as well as weeknights. Mondays would be tricky for me, due to A&T, but I'll try to make whatever schedule is set work!

Wonderful! Wonderful! I was really hoping you would join up! Between you, Byrcha, and Caiyyd, it is beginning to feel like old times. wink It looks like at least one practice will be on Saturday; possibly all three depending on how things work out.

Kaerri wrote:
Well, when I said Mondays, I really meant all day (since I have Monday off) so that wouldn't necessarily interfere with A&T at all. ;) Anyone else good for Monday day practice or would weekends be better for everyone?

Also, I didn't realize practice was Saturday morning last year. I can certainly do that, most weekends.

As I mentioned in my response to Lhinnthel, it is likely that at least one practice will be held on Saturday. However, Monday mornings or afternoons certainly within the realm of possibility.

Dancyn wrote:
No experience in formation riding (in-game that is!!)
very interested...& hoping RL schedule allows!!

Dancyn

We always look forward to having someone new willing to join up and learn how to do this! I hope we are able to find a time that works for you!

Officer

Awarded:

Craicwyth always comes up with amazing routines, so I highly encourage everyone to give this a try.
There is a step-by-step teaching process that breaks everything down and makes it simple and easy to learn.
You don't need to know anything about dressage, horses, or drill teams to join. :)

Please remember that formation riding is a team sport. It requires commitment.
Everyone on the team will be counting on you to show up on time.
If you don't show up for a practice (or worse, don't make the show), unless there is an alternate on the team, nobody can participate.
I don't want to scare anyone off, but I do want to make it clear that this is like a dance team.
The routine doesn't work if people are missing.

Craicwyth, please let me know how much time you'll need in the day's schedule once you have that worked out. Thanks!

Awarded:

Yea! Formation riding! It's like an extremely low-altitude airshow.

Loved watching it at SRC the last couple years.

I'll commit to formation spectating.

Tulenn
Cat Herding Officer

Awarded:

Like I said, my schedule is quite a bit busier this year so I'm afraid I won't be able to commit to Formation Riding. I'll have to just stick with the judging and having my hobbit alt be a barrel and playing music with The Remediators.

Looking forward to seeing whatever the team does though.... I'm sure it will be wonderful!

Alt Kins:
Silvermoon Manor: alts-Sugarbell, Halliwyn, Callabeth, Jesstan, Orinhir, Audli, Candriell, Grif             
Silvermoon Vintners: alts-Darcyil, Jilanna, Esdell             
The Ravenhill Rovers: alts-Bekk, Draim, Nathrec

On Crickhollow: Tulenn & Cloverly (Old Winyards Kinship)
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

How is the planning going on this? Is there anything I can do to help?

If there isn't a routine and practices haven't already begun, perhaps this should be some other kind of equestrian event. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are only six weekends left to practice.

In case it's helpful, here are some ideas --

* If we have the same 4 formation riders as before, we could re-use the routine from year before last, because it might not take as long to learn? New music could give it a new feel.

* Parade showing off the rarest steeds and tack, perhaps with an announcer talking about each one as they pass by.

* Can folks duel on horseback? If so, you could do a mounted archery demonstration. Have an unmounted hunter drop decoy targets, which the archers ride past and shoot. If people can duel in groups, perhaps 2-3 hunters could drop targets to keep things moving swiftly. If not, perhaps we could pair up one hunter for each rider in separate duels going on at the same time. (Is that technically feasible?)

* A coordinated fireworks show is very easy to put together with a tiny bit of practice. Some of you have participated in this before, so you know how easy it is.

If all else fails, I can host a quick horse show (mounted fashion contest).

In any case, I need to know at least a month in advance, so that I (and hopefully volunteers) can put together the proper advertising materials for distribution.

Awarded:

Has a practice schedule been set yet?

ready to "horse around"
Dancyn

~Dancyn

Dancyn, Elf Minstrel, Landroval

Muinbes, High Elf Minstrel, Landroval

Muinbes, High Elf Lore Master, Gladden

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: