Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Star Wars 7 discussion - MASSIVE SPOILERS

I wondered if Kylo Ren didn't easily beat Rey in the lightsaber battle because deep down he senses the blood ties between them. Perhaps he can't bring himself to kill her. That would help explain his defeat despite their differences in skill and experience.

Awarded:

So, yeah, I'm fashionably-late to the party ...

It has been a couple weeks now since I saw tFA, and I've finally read through this thread only now. I skillfully avoided most spoilers before seeing it, and also hadn't read any of the fiction others have mentioned here. So, I went in basically with only my experiences from the first six movies (each viewed multiple times). Alas, some of the thrill and my nuances/insights have worn off in two weeks so this sounds harsher now that the initial glow has faded.

In general, given the hype and expectations, I was disappointed. Still better than much produced by the entertainment media (example: 'Croctopus vs Pterocuda' on SyFy channel last Sunday), but I thought it was weak overall compared to the other Star Wars movies. Yes, it left a good feeling, and the effects are impressive, and Han&Chewie are a classic tandem, and Rey is awesome (and, yeah, STAR WARS!). But ... the plot holes, ugh!

About 2/3 of the way through I finally realized it was essentially a reboot of the franchise and a remake of Ep. 4, which made me sad. I get it that they had to get everyone back up to hyperspeed in one movie before moving forward, but still -- they could have re-released the first six movies to do that. They condense 15? years of history into the 1-minute slanted-letter crawl at the start, yet spend 2.5 hours with plot holes and lack-of-explanations? Yeah, I know, they need to whet our appetites for the next two movies (shadowy unexplained evil, sure), but still a bit sad.

I was thrilled with Rey as the main character. Tough, resilient, no-nonsense -- another awesome female role model. Finn was a nice addition also. Yeah, the unanswered questions are annoying, and had better be answered in the next movie -- how can both of them use a light saber without being insta-slaughtered as a noob otherwise would be? And: storm troopers who aren't all clones of the original??

Kylo was a bit more annoying than conflicted (if anything, they didn't build up his story/aura enough to make it believable -- it took 3 movies to bring Anakin to that point, and 3 movies to bring Vader to a similar point -- though I suppose they could do flashbacks in future movies), though yeah he did take a big step in killing off Han -- as tough as that is to accept, even with speculation that Ford didn't want to continue the role, it WAS good for the plot if not even absolutely necessary, and it built enough tension to be a believable scene (unlike, say, the lightsaber duel which is saved by the death-planet-ship-thing breaking apart). But ... where was Leia's inner fire?? And yeah, Luke just wanders away, but leaves a trail of breadcrumbs? New Empire-thing is still just like Nazi Germany (and without any explanation of how that happens)? Effective plot devices, but I like me some explanations too; perhaps I am too accustomed to having various Jedi explain/question/foreshadow things as we go along, as was done in the first six movies.

And another thing: how does Chewie even get shot!! He evades 10,000 blaster rays in the previous movies despite being the biggest target in any scene, and somehow he finally gets hit by the same guys who obviously have a genetically-engineered aiming defect?? :P

I don't see how Rey can't be Luke's daughter, actually. Unless she is another kid of Han/Leia (providing an even bigger plot-hole sidestepped in this movie). Either way it is a bit too ... predictable. I am really hoping they can figure out how to add something(s) new in the next movie which doesn't create more issues than it might otherwise solve (yeah I'm kinda looking at you, JarJar; and also at you, Even Bigger Death Star-Planet-Thing).

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Mar-Evayave

I agree completely, Byrcha, on pretty much everything. I've had almost two months to mull it over. It's had time for me to go through the five stages (Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance). The bargaining really comes into play in regards to the next movies. I can deal with the plot holes... if they are effectively and satisfactorily plugged in the following movies. The denial, anger and depression were all Han related (well, that and the general throwing out the books and then stealing from them and Ep 4). But I have arrived at acceptance enough to...

Buy Star Wars crayons, buy a Star Wars LED tracing pad, buy Star Wars playing cards, buy a Star Wars set of dogtags, buy a Star Wars baseball cap (for my lil bro's bday), buy... well you get the picture. xD

And I do kinda wanna go watch it a second time... just so I can be doubly sure of how much I don't like the bad parts, of course...

R8 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) @ Landroval
Beorbrand
DeGeneral Degeneratus

Awarded:

My new head canon:

Aegthil of Gondor

What is this "Star Wars" of which you speak?

The Fool

Tamoro
Officer

Awarded:

Beorbrand wrote:
My new head canon:

See! I told you! Sméagol IS Supreme Leader!

it's out now! Star Wars Ep 7 has hit the shelves at major (and probably some minor) stores. I got the DVD+bluray+digitalHD combo. Fair warning, it has 3 discs, but the bonus feature disc is bluray, not DVD. DVD has only the movie without any bells or whistles at all (well, other than the typical language options). The store I bought it at is selling the DVD for $20 and the combo for $26 (not sure if or how much the bluray only is going for), and had it 25% off (undoubtedly to get suckers like me to buy it before they come out with the super fancy versions at some unspecified point in the future).

Forte Maestro

Awarded:

I think my main reveal that she IS Luke's, with the whole twin of L/H aside etc, are 2 reasons.

1. I doubt the room where the saber is stored...and it being the only thing stored in that room, would be left unlocked. The door perhaps has a sensor to be unlocked for a particular reason, bloodline, etc.

2. The statement was made that the saber was once Anikin's, pass to his son, and now calls to her...I doubt they would break the line of father to son to niece. It is more likely then not Father to son to daughter.

Awarded:

And another thing: how does Chewie even get shot!! He evades 10,000 blaster rays in the previous movies despite being the biggest target in any scene, and somehow he finally gets hit by the same guys who obviously have a genetically-engineered aiming defect?? :P

Well, think about it. If each movie is roughly 10 year difference, he HAS been around for 50 human years (5 movies) after all :) Along with how ever years old he is already. I expect him to get rusty and age after all this time and not be as quick to dodge blaster fire, you know? :)

Officer

Awarded:

It's not the only thing stored in the room. The storage room is full of interesting old artifacts.
In fact, it's not the only thing in the box, just the most prominent one.

Forum Image

Also, the door wasn't unlocked. You hear it unlock as she approaches.
I'm not sure if the Force unlocks it or she does it subconsciously by using the Force, but the sound is very audible.
When she finds the lightsaber, Obi-wan Kenobi tells her, "These are your first steps."

Luke's lightsaber was not the first item of Luke's that she found.
She wears his X-Wing pilot's helmet earlier in the film. (Super-fans confirmed it's Luke's helmet.)

Last edited by Kiralynn of Rohan on 2016/04/06 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

Yep, I heard that voice as well.

Officer

Awarded:

When I was young, I came up with my only explanation for why the Stormtrooper blasters miss more than they hit.
I figured there must be some little, very expensive part inside the blaster that focuses the energy and shoots it out.
Whatever it is, there's a cheap kind used for mass production and arming millions of "mook" troops.
Then there's a really expensive, rare material used to make the aiming bit on the blasters that actually hit things.

I'm sure that's not canon, but it's good enough in my head to allow for that particular plot hole. :)

Forte Maestro wrote:
I think my main reveal that she IS Luke's, with the whole twin of L/H aside etc, are 2 reasons.

1. I doubt the room where the saber is stored...and it being the only thing stored in that room, would be left unlocked. The door perhaps has a sensor to be unlocked for a particular reason, bloodline, etc.

2. The statement was made that the saber was once Anikin's, pass to his son, and now calls to her...I doubt they would break the line of father to son to niece. It is more likely then not Father to son to daughter.

I don't think she is Luke's because unless he kept her a secret from Han and Leia, then it doesn't seem realistic. Han and Leia had absolutely no reaction to her at all.

And whoever left her on Jakku couldn't be any of the main characters that we know, because Rey is told that she might as well give up waiting because even she knows deep down inside that they are never coming back, which gives the distinct impression that, in the very least, the people she knew as her family are dead.

Kiralynn of Rohan wrote:
It's not the only thing stored in the room. The storage room is full of interesting old artifacts.
In fact, it's not the only thing in the box, just the most prominent one.

Also, the door wasn't unlocked. You hear it unlock as she approaches.
I'm not sure if the Force unlocks it or she does it subconsciously by using the Force, but the sound is very audible.
When she finds the lightsaber, Obi-wan Kenobi tells her, "These are your first steps."

Luke's lightsaber was not the first item of Luke's that she found.
She wears his X-Wing pilot's helmet earlier in the film. (Super-fans confirmed it's Luke's helmet.)

I agree with all except for the helmet part. The writing on the side of the helmet has someone else's name on it, not Luke's.

Quote:
We no longer need to speculate who this helmet belongs to. The newly released Star Wars: The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary says that the salvaged Rebel helmet once belonged to Captain Dosmit Ræh of the Tierfon Yellow Aces.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/12/22/the-mysterious-helmet-in-force-awakens-belongs-to.aspx

Considering Maz was literally right there when Rey comes out of the visions and is so intent on Rey getting the lightsaber, I bet Maz was right behind her and unlocked the door from further up the corridor.

I think the name of the movie might indicate why Rey was called to the lightsaber. Most/all Jedi seem gone -- dead or in hiding, like Luke. Leia apparently never followed her brother's footsteps in the Force, or at least doesn't seem to have. That would mean that Rey is the first "budding young Jedi" ever since Kylo Ren killed the trainees. She is clearly strong in the Force, Kylo Ren says it himself. Anakin Skywalker was supposed to be the strongest ever. Luke, as his son, can't possibly be far behind. Rey doesn't have to be biological. All she has to be is extremely strong in the Force.

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

[quote="Mar-Evayave"]I agree with all except for the helmet part. The writing on the side of the helmet has someone else's name on it, not Luke's.

Quote:
We no longer need to speculate who this helmet belongs to. The newly released Star Wars: The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary says that the salvaged Rebel helmet once belonged to Captain Dosmit Ræh of the Tierfon Yellow Aces.

You're right. I went back and paused the movie. It does indeed read "Raeh" on the side of the helmet, which I suppose makes it extra special for Rey to be wearing it.

(Yes, I'm a Star Wars geek who reads Aurebesh, but not that Standard Basic stuff.)

Kiralynn of Rohan wrote:
You're right. I went back and paused the movie. It does indeed read "Raeh" on the side of the helmet, which I suppose makes it extra special for Rey to be wearing it.

(Yes, I'm a Star Wars geek who reads Aurebesh, but not that Standard Basic stuff.)

lol! I have the Aurebesh alphabet and could translate if needed, but got lazy and let google do my talking. xD

Some have speculated that Rey named herself after she found the helmet but I think that's absurd. That would have meant that she either went without a name until well after she could read, or that she merely changed names, and considering how much she wants life to go back how it used to be (whomever she is waiting for on Jakku in the first place) I kinda doubt she'd change her name on the off-chance it would make her harder to find.

Probably just coincidence that their names are so close, but if she can read Aurebesh, it does make it all the more special of a helmet to her.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: