Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Floradine
Officer

Awarded:

re: Star Wars 7 discussion - MASSIVE SPOILERS

Hi everyone, I have seen the new Star Wars movie two days ago. At first I could not get over the killing of Han Solo and the fact that the movie heavily relied on Episode IV in terms of story structure and contains less new stuff than I hoped for. It felt a little more like a reboot than a sequel. I also fell for the little trap they put out that left it a little unclear whether Kylo Ren died in the end or was rescued.

After thinking some about the movie I got to terms with it. Kylo Ren killing Han Solo made a lot of sense after I understood that Kylo survived. And the reboot vs. sequel thing is a little weak but in the end it's not all too bad that one could not live with it in my opinion. The movie still has enough material/characters of it's own that can be brought to it's full potential in the next movies in the trilogy.

So all in all I liked it a lot and I am sure the movie will grow on me with every viewing. I love it already. Still the grief for Han Solo is really intense. Oh my.

How do you feel about it?

Last edited by Floradine on 2015/12/19 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

Not planning to watch it myself, but I am all in favor of killing Han Solo off.
Floradine
Officer

Awarded:

LOL.

Hm. I remember I saw new model kits for the new X-wing fighters and the Millenium Falcon. Was not sure about them back then but now that I saw how sleek they were in the movie I might cave.......

Awarded:

I've never had such a reaction to watching a fictional character buy it before. I walked out of the theater when they killed him. I've got too much personal investment in that character. I'm done with the franchise! Gaaaah. Of all the stories they had to rip off from the books, why did they have to pick that one?!! I felt there were way too many plot holes and that the original trilogy characters were not acting true to themselves. Luke just hides out while his friends are in danger - since when?! And Leia just lets Han goes off by himself without coming along... Le sigh. I had been really excited for it, too.
Lauralda
Lauralda
Officer

Awarded:

I'm not a Star Wars fan, nor have I followed the trilogy, so not as emotionally invested. But, have friends who are, and like Beor - they are screaming at the plot (including the 'negation' of the novel plot)
Han Solo dying and General Leia just 'taking it', away at base? Bleargh.

Amusingly, I like X-Wings. Besides the pilots and cool looks, here's why:
(copied from internet, not my original work in any form)
A wings for the speed kings under the sky,
B wings for the strafe kings with their shields like stone.
Y for bomber pilots doomed to die,
TIEs for the dark lord in his dark throne
Over the forest moon of Endor where the starfleets lie.
X Wings to rule them all, X Wings to show them!

Also have immense curiosity on whose kid Rey is!
Floradine
Officer

Awarded:

I feel really sorry for you, Beorbrand. When it happened I was really shocked too and I thought I'd never forgive the storywriters, especially when I was under the impression that Kylo died in the incineration of the Starkiller planet. It all made no sense and I was really pissed to see another weak brat that was insecure and just acted out of his insecurity. Just like young Anakin in episodes one to three. Another thing that I did not like was the fact that Kylo was also weaker than that General Hax guy. Hax was incredibly well cast and boy did he look like a true determined Nazi... But I digress... In the end it all served one purpose I think: To set up Kylo as the new bad guy for the upcoming episodes.

To put in the old characters was a bit of a flaw of the whole movie. On one hand they had to do it, and in a meaningful way. On the other side it's indeed hard to believe that Leia and Luke were so passive. Sending off Han alone on the mission to get Kylo/Ben back was indeed unlike her. But I can see why Luke was hiding away: He trained Ben and when the young man was lured to the dark side Luke couldn't kill his sister's and best friend's son. I can understand that very well and I can see that Luke, in a way, gave up more or less on that force thing. I can imagine that he tried hard and long to rescue Ben from the dark side and got really frustrated when he failed again and again. I think we will learn of that in episode 8.

Today I think the movies need to get away from the old characters as soon and as much as possible and build their own legacy. I hope their makers are wise enough to pull that off in a good way.

Awarded:

Lauralda wrote:
I'm not a Star Wars fan, nor have I followed the trilogy, so not as emotionally invested. But, have friends who are, and like Beor - they are screaming at the plot (including the 'negation' of the novel plot)

I am not so savvy with the novels. Which novel do you guys speak of?

Lauralda wrote:

Amusingly, I like X-Wings. Besides the pilots and cool looks, here's why:
(copied from internet, not my original work in any form)
A wings for the speed kings under the sky,
B wings for the strafe kings with their shields like stone.
Y for bomber pilots doomed to die,
TIEs for the dark lord in his dark throne
Over the forest moon of Endor where the starfleets lie.
X Wings to rule them all, X Wings to show them!

Also have immense curiosity on whose kid Rey is!

Hehe, nice poem indeed :)

My hope is that she comes from a yet unknown family. To make her Luke's kid would make it all so much more complicated. Let him teach her to master the force and then take her on the quest to find her parents and stop the first order.

Awarded:

There were quite a few novels. It's essentially the story of the twins Jacen and Jaina, in quite a few ways. I would have really preferred something original, and letting Luke, Leia, and Han actually come together one last time to fight the baddies before passing the torch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solo_family

Ben Solo = Jacen Solo
Rey (Skywalker?) = Jaina Solo
Floradine
Officer

Awarded:

Thank you for the link, Beorbrand. I read through it and find it very interesting. There's a theory on the web that says they killed Han off so that Harrison Ford would never have to play him again. He even wanted to let Han die in the original trilogy. Hm... Meh.

I'm a big Star Wars fan since I heard about the first movie - I think I was 9 that time. :)
And a much bigger SW fan than lotr/Tolkien...

Wiki says that the new Star Wars movies will concentrate on character's storyine and not strongly connect to the original story.
Personally I liked very much that the same actors played as in the first movie. If Leia and Han Solo takes more action then perhaps they should have use stunts, wich probably they didn't want (just guessing).

My big question was that how come the Empire now takes children from families? Didn't the jedis used to do that?
The Kaminos stopped cloning? They said that "this many (i don't remember the number) is done and we're making 200.000 more" when Obi-wan visited there.
I didn't feel very sad when Han Solo died, I mean he was old and every human dies once. I would have been pissed if a different actor plays him in the next movie. >.<
It's a SHAME that the Sith Lord was so weak willed, the weakest Sith I saw. At least he killed someone (and that happened to be his father) so he got a little reputation from the Dark Side. Only positive thing that he had a very cool appearance comparing to how Darth Vader looked.

Overall I liked the new movie very much and I look forward to see more! :)

Awarded:

Ethlossoth wrote:
I'm a big Star Wars fan since I heard about the first movie - I think I was 9 that time. :)
And a much bigger SW fan than lotr/Tolkien...

Wiki says that the new Star Wars movies will concentrate on character's storyine and not strongly connect to the original story.
Personally I liked very much that the same actors played as in the first movie. If Leia and Han Solo takes more action then perhaps they should have use stunts, wich probably they didn't want (just guessing).

My big question was that how come the Empire now takes children from families? Didn't the jedis used to do that?
The Kaminos stopped cloning? They said that "this many (i don't remember the number) is done and we're making 200.000 more" when Obi-wan visited there.
I didn't feel very sad when Han Solo died, I mean he was old and every human dies once. I would have been pissed if a different actor plays him in the next movie. >.<
It's a SHAME that the Sith Lord was so weak willed, the weakest Sith I saw. At least he killed someone (and that happened to be his father) so he got a little reputation from the Dark Side. Only positive thing that he had a very cool appearance comparing to how Darth Vader looked.

Overall I liked the new movie very much and I look forward to see more! :)

Its not the Empire anymore. Someone stepped in and is filling the void of the big bad meanies. When the Empire fail, this new group took advantage and took over. So it is very similar to the Empire, but isnt.

I think it would make since that Rey is Luke's child. In the flashback, she looks/dressed enough like she did when she was taken, for Han/Leia to have recognized her, plus you would have expected them to have mentioned it IF they had a daughter and if they were both twins. But IF she is Luke's making sense why she was put on Tatooine, perhaps in the care of "family" like he was. So the ppl he was taken from was not her biological family, I would expect them to still have recognized her if she was Luke's, or hint at it.

It was as if they did not know who she was.

But, it would also make sense why she would be the one returning Luke's saber, where we come to find out daughter returns saber to father. Mara Jade being her mother. In the stories, Mara Jade and Luke gave birth to Ben Skywalker. would make sense that they gave the Ben name to Han Solo's child, bringing in a female to replace the already male offspring to the Skywalker Dynasty, being Ben Solo. So, from what I see, the pieces fall into place that she is Rey Skywalker for the Skywalker lineage to continue on.

It would make sense that Mara Jade helped Luke build the Temple, and when the Knights of Ren come in and destroy the Academy, she dies, Ren seperates him from her daughter, and he goes into solitude.

Why a father would not do what he can to find his father I dont know. Unless he did not know about her...just like his own father, which would make sense with Han's and Leia's non-reaction.

Beorbrand wrote:
I've never had such a reaction to watching a fictional character buy it before. I walked out of the theater when they killed him. I've got too much personal investment in that character. I'm done with the franchise! Gaaaah. Of all the stories they had to rip off from the books, why did they have to pick that one?!! I felt there were way too many plot holes and that the original trilogy characters were not acting true to themselves. Luke just hides out while his friends are in danger - since when?! And Leia just lets Han goes off by himself without coming along... Le sigh. I had been really excited for it, too.

Wholeheartedly agree.

I am a bigger Star Wars fan than I am a Lord of the Rings fan (sad but true). And the Star Wars universe would be a SHADOW without the Expanded Universe. Almost 40 years of lore, tossed out the window so JJA can make some big bucks.

He did the same thing to Star Trek. Took 40+ years of lore, tossed it out the window, stole bits he liked, and mashed it into two new movies. He steals a lot and I don't think he's capable of having an original thought.

But enough about him, on to Star Wars VII.

There were way too many plot holes. And the plot was stolen almost entirely from Star Wars IV and the Expanded Universe. In the books, Luke and Mara Jade have a son named Ben Skywalker. Han and Leia have three kids: Jacen, Jaina and Anakin. In the books, Jacen goes darkside, kills Mara Jade, and Jaina ends up killing him (Anakin had already died rather heroically in a war and it took a whole moon to kill Chewie).

In this movie? The first half was Star Wars IV all over again. Then Han was killed (I guess they didn't have any Maras handy). And then it was all rushed so we could get 30 seconds of Luke Skywalker on the screen. And Han and Leia's son went darkside and is named Ben instead of Jacen. Who wants to bet that Rey is the one to kill him? And if she isn't some Solo or Skywalker offspring then I'll eat my pibgorn.

The whole Death Star planet blower upper thing was pathetic. "Yo dudes, it's like the Death Star... only bigger! And it also has a trench! And... wait, there is exactly one weakness that we can blow up to make the whole thing explode!" O.o Really...? Where have I seen that before? At least in the books if they had some sort of planet blower upper thing, they came up with an original shape and manner of destruction.

Kylo Ren is utterly pathetic. Horrid actor. He looks like a barely-out-of-puberty wannabe Sith. He was so underwhelming, and remarkably a stormtrooper and a random girl from a backsand (there isn't enough water to call it backwater) planet (which, seriously, screams Star Wars I and IV -- why do they always have to come from desert planets?!) are able to actually give him a fight and BEAT him?!

Which brings me to Rey. Her whole life she's believed the Force and whatnot are just a myth. The whole movie probably covers only a few days at most. And somehow, with ZERO training, she not only knows that it is POSSIBLE to use a Jedi mind trick, but actually manages to do it? Riiiiiight... that's definitely believable...

The only thing I actually liked about the whole movie was Rey (she was a fantastic actress) and the droids. Poor little Artoo (though what's up with Threepio's arm?) and Beeby. And that the comic relief wasn't corny the way it was in the Prequel trilogy.

Ack, enough nerdrage I suppose. Just so glad that I can finally vent it because no one else that I really could talk to has seen it yet.

Forte Maestro wrote:
But IF she is Luke's making sense why she was put on Tatooine, perhaps in the care of "family" like he was.

Actually that wasn't Tatooine, though by looks you'd never know. It was the planet Jakku. I'm also left wondering why her parents (biological or otherwise) were taken away but she was left there. If the bad guys knew enough about them to take the parents, you would'a thought they'd have known who Rey was as well.

R8 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) @ Landroval
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

I loved the new Star Wars movie. I thought it was brilliant. There was more emotional impact for me on the second viewing, probably because I wasn't overwhelmed with all the visual "eye candy" and details.

I didn't mind the nostalgic parallels at all. I think it was important to show us "old timers" that they were hearkening back to the original trilogy. You'll notice there was no mention of midichlorians! :) I think young fans won't notice all of the tie-ins and older fans wanted to spend more time with their childhood favorites. As long as the next two films aren't as nostalgia driven, I'll be quite pleased.

I understand why they had to kill Han Solo. First, there are problems with the actor and they probably couldn't carry him through three films. Second, it was important to have Kylo Ren do something that "crossed the line" so that he was firmly established as a villain in his own right. Before that, he was just the victim of his heritage and the manipulation of others. Now, he has made his choice and will have to live (and die) with the consequences.

I appreciated the metaphor of Han Solo falling into the light. There is no death, there is only the Force.

I feel that the new main characters are interesting and the actors are much more talented than the new additions from the previous trilogy (episodes 1-3). I cared more about them and felt there was much better chemistry between them.

I especially liked the relationship between General Hux and Kylo Ren. Hux was quite the Tarkin, in that the show wasn't entirely run by the dark Jedi in the room. He had his own presence and authority.

Awarded:

I agree. I did like the chemestry between Rey and the Stormtrooper better then Anikan and others.

Officer

Awarded:

I was especially tickled when I found out who played the stormtrooper that Rey mind-controlled. There were so many walk-ons but they were handled well, so that they didn't stick out.

Page 1 of 4

Jump to: