Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norwode

re: STO

I heard there were roving groups of Trolls in STO that had made the game unbearable this past year, spoiling it for the majority. People complained that Mgnt didn't respond to complaints & that game wasn't worth playing any longer. - I'd been contemplating playing it since it went F2P. - What is your opinion? --- Kanter.

(Norwode is an alt from another server that joined Guildlaunch in another kin.)
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

If you go by forum-chatter, all games everywhere are hopelessly broken and full of rampaging trolls. I've not encountered any in STO, though I'm not in end-game areas and haven't been RPing. But the game itself has been a fun diversion.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Bilwise
Officer

Awarded:

I just started playing today. I don't know about trolls but most areas are fairly under populated. In short: if you create a toon there, I don't think anyone will bother you.

Also, you can minimize chat. The whole window. It's the best. :)

I haven't seen anyone at all. But then I've not managed to get out of space since they sent me on that doomed mission that stuck me in the captain's seat whether I wanted it or not! *shakes fist*

I don't much like flying. I use my mouse for steering and you can't do that in space, so I am floundering all over the place. I want to just go on away missions. LOL

Other active games: ESO (Tearna, T'nar, Tealan, etc.)
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

Since I use the keyboard to move around in both LOTRO and STO, my adjustment is easier. But, like LOTRO, you can reassign the key settings to something that works better for you. One set of fingers/keys for steering, one set for weapons/abilities, seems to work well. Also, you can put weapons on auto-fire, while you concentrate on steering.

Other good news, though I've not figured out quite how to do it yet: there are special instances you can go on either with friends or random folks -- and these can be space-only or ground-only. There are also player-written episodes called Foundry, some of which are ground-only.

Most of the time I don't see too many people/ships, except at the main space hubs. But yesterday there was a crowd at one of the lesser mission locations.

BTW, if anyone wants to chat, please send in-game mail. I dismiss fleet and friend requests unless I know who it is. Also, I'm not good at following the chat window yet. My mail-thingy is @vetlur (I think).

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Caiyyd

Awarded:

Will have to check on how to temp my keys! I kept dive bombing the Borg because I wanted W to mean I pointed my ship's nose upwards lol.
I am Capt. Aleeta on the Artemis - will try to figure out how to add some on y'all as friends
Tearna Quickfoot
Pink Officer

I'm captain Tearna on the Quickfoot. hehe

So, mostly you don't play with other folks, you just chat?

How do I get out of space? It just keeps sending me on more missions. haha

Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

Eventually, the missions will send you back to spacedock. At least at level-10, so you can get promoted and get a bigger ship. You can also take a break from missions and go where ever you like -- you're the captain! If you want to beam down to Vulcan, make it so!

Yes, you can group with others, I've not done so yet (meaning: haven't investigated which button/menu does that).

Tearna Quickfoot
Pink Officer

Ahhh... how do I find out what level I am? Probably 2 or 3. hehe

Thanks Byrcha! :) I do need to go check Vulcan out... and Earth. :)

Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

There's an inevitable learning curve, though thankfully the MMO concepts are not drastically different from LOTRO. You can see your level when you first log in, and also somewhere in the upper left corner in-game. Probably other places too, such as the info panel about you/your ship/your officers (the U key). There is a level-number, comparable to how LOTRO does things, and you gain skills/etc as you go. There is also a rank promotion every 10 levels, which allows a new ship: Lieutenant, Lieutenant Commander, etc.

I've not been to Vulcan except for a mission that goes there. There's a memorial for Leonary Nimoy there now I hear. But when you go to the Earth/Sol system, you can beam down to the Academy which is in San Francisco which is fun (and has fun things to explore, like Spacedock does). It's worth wandering around like a tourist sometime. Some of the NPCs have neat chat-bubbles.

AMCook

Oh, cool...you guys are playing STO! I've been playing that off and on since release...mouse steering in space is done by holding down both mouse buttons at the same time. wink

As far as rampaging groups of trolls, there haven't been any that I've seen. However, there is one place, Drozana Station, where a trolling fleet called Starfleet Dental (and their cronies in a fleet called Shut Up Wesley) made it impossible to RP there. As I understand it, SF Dental was finally disbanded, or they moved on to GW2, depending on who you hear it from. Nevertheless, Cryptic ignored them and let them basically run the place, and Drozana is still not a RP-friendly place...but it's only one spot in the entire quadrant, thankfully. If you want to find RP, check out DS9 or New Romulus.

Have fun! Oh, and be on the lookout for Melyana Ghi, commanding the USS Illiad. (It's an Oddessey Tactical Cruiser. Go figure.) That'd be me!

Check out my music here!
Tamoro
Officer

Awarded:

Dannik Jerriko of the USS Hastings at your service!

Awarded:

Since ship names can change every 10 levels, STO uses a charname@handle method for in-game mail. I'm not sure what the handle is, or where you set it, but it is related to your account name. I can see mine in the social panel under looking for teams. Mine is @vetlur. The delta recruits I'm working on are T'Byr (Fed), Marit (Klingon), and Litka (Rom). E.g., it would be Litka@vetlur. And mail is shared across characters. So send me a mail if you'd like to chat or get together.

Bilwise
Officer

Awarded:

You can reach me at Vulan@zorbellar931

I'm a Romulan on the Federation side.

Look for the giant Romulan warbird with smoke rolling out the side where the replicator conduits are. Some say it's because the captain overloaded it by using it to make pies but seriously, it was the Borg that did it. Or something. *shifty eyes*

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: