Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Thorin's Cup Course -- Saturday the 4th at 3:30pm EDT

Greetings, equestrian fans!

I've come up with a potential race course for Thorin's Cup this coming Saturday.
Would you be so kind as to run it with your war steed and tell me what you think?

Also, this will show me if my pictures and description make sense:

Forum Image

The race begins in the courtyard in front of the gates of Thorin's Hall. We will use two stone braziers as the markers for the start and finish line.
Forum Image

The first checkpoint is a clockwise turn around the statue in Frerin's Court at 15.0S/103.2W. A clockwise turn means that you pass with the statue on your right.
Forum Image

Gallop up into the mining operation. Pass between a huge gear and a hanging work light, located at 14.8S/105.0W, heading northeast.
Forum Image

Next, race up to the elf ruins outside Edhelion and pass north through the gate on the road near a boulder, located at 15.2S/101.6W.
Forum Image

Make your way carefully down the stairs to the Silver Deep Mine, located at 14.2S/101.4W.
Forum Image

You can jump down many of the stairs, but at least pass the snowy stairs so that the course judge can see you.
Forum Image

Finally, go clockwise around the statue in Frerin's Court at 15.0S/103.2W.
Forum Image

Gallop back up the stairs towards the gates of Thorin's Hall. The finish line is the same as the start line.

Last edited by Kiralynn of Rohan on 2015/04/03 4:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

Awarded:

Heya, Kira!

The first thing I noticed was folks had better know that route really well if, by chance, the race happens at night (that's when I arrived to test it). Getting up to that gear at "checkpoint 2" is really tricky. One wrong move past that gear and off you go (likely to lose the race!).

The rest of the race is pretty fun (especially going down the stairs from the elven ruins).

I like the setup during daytime and I think it will challenge just about anyone!

Honor and fun,
Dann a.k.a. Gori =)

"No language is justly studied merely as an aid to other purposes. It will in fact better serve other purposes, philological or historical, when it is studied for love, for itself." - J.R.R. Tolkien, English and Welsh (1955)
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien

My Lonely Mountain Band characters include Dannigan (main, 100th-level Human Warden), Briamil (95th-level Elven Rune-keeper), Gori "Mithrilfist" Brightforge (95th-level Dwarven Champion), Mithrilfists (also Gori, 60th-level Dwarven Guardian), and Whittle (95th-level Hobbit Hunter). Far apart, never alone! =)
Caiyyd

Awarded:

I agree about the gear area. Took me quite a few tries to figure out what the route was to and down from there! The stairs are a great tricky bit!
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Thanks for the feedback! I added a map to the first post to help illustrate the locations.

Awarded:

There you go, Kira! That will be a big help!

Honor and fun,
Dann a.k.a. Gori =)

"No language is justly studied merely as an aid to other purposes. It will in fact better serve other purposes, philological or historical, when it is studied for love, for itself." - J.R.R. Tolkien, English and Welsh (1955)
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien

My Lonely Mountain Band characters include Dannigan (main, 100th-level Human Warden), Briamil (95th-level Elven Rune-keeper), Gori "Mithrilfist" Brightforge (95th-level Dwarven Champion), Mithrilfists (also Gori, 60th-level Dwarven Guardian), and Whittle (95th-level Hobbit Hunter). Far apart, never alone! =)
Kaerri
Kaerri
Officer

Awarded:

The walkthrough before the race will probably help too :D

Officer

Awarded:

It's a very tricky course, almost as tricky as the Rivendell route!

Awarded:

Horse Racing Rules

Riders must register to participate in the race by contacting the host. Registration closes at the event start time.

Registrations are accepted at the race host’s discretion. Players who have been barred from races for unsportsmanlike behavior may not register.

Riders must be at the start location at least 5 minutes before the race begins.

Riders must join a raid fellowship with the judges and remain in it until the race results are announced.

Riders must only use war steeds. These steeds can be light, medium, or heavy.

No store-purchased mount speed enhancers will be permitted. All buffs (temporary ability enhancements) must be cancelled before the race begins. War steed skills may be used.

Riders must only use their horse for transportation. Stables, milestones, wayfaring, camps, rally points, acorns, mustering horns, summons and all other non-mount forms of travel are forbidden.

Spamming fellow riders, giving a false start signal, having allies ride in the wrong direction to mislead riders, and all other forms of unsportsmanlike behavior will result in disqualification.

Riders must clear all checkpoints in the proper direction and order. Course judges are the final authority in determining if a checkpoint has been properly cleared. A decision can be appealed if screenshots or video can be presented immediately after the race.

If a rider falls from his horse, he may mount up again and continue the race. He will not be disqualified for swimming if he is dismounted at a water crossing.

The winner will be determined by the first rider to cross the finish line, not the first mount.

Awarded:

Congratulations to our Thorin's Cup winners!

First Place -- Mellime
Second Place -- Tiora
Third Place -- Lainiest
Alternate -- Breglas

Forum Image

Many thanks to the fireworks team and Bara Bahau!

Special thanks to our bookie Calycanthus, treat vendor Hollyberye,
and race course judges Fortissimmo, Valtharon, Kaerri, Lilikate, Lhinnthel, Byrcha and Keli!

One done, Thorin's Cup was a great success with a strong field of racers and a good size crowd. Thank you Bara Bahau for the entertainment.

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
Keli
Keli
Officer

Awarded:

Don't thank me Kira, I didn't do anything. Sadly my FRAPS decided to fall over sad

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Of course I'm going to thank you! There's always one course judge who has screenshot problems. That's why we try to have more than one judge at each checkpoint. We cover each other. You showed up and it was just a fluke that you were the one who needed covering this time. It could have been me. Thanks for being there!

Jump to: