Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lhinnthel
Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

re: J.R.R. Tolkien Reading Day 2015 (March 25th)

Forum Image

Founded by The Tolkien Society in 2003, Tolkien Reading Day encourages the reading and celebration of the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. It takes place on March 25th each year.
This date is significant, as it marks the day on which Frodo and The Fellowship triumphed in Mordor by destroying the One Ring and defeating Sauron.

Each year, The Tolkien Society chooses a theme that you may or may not wish to follow.
This year the theme of "friendship in Tolkien’s works" was chosen, to help celebrate the deep friendships that Tolkien developed in his own life and in his work*. *source

On March 25th, please feel free to share in kinchat your favorite passages, quotes and reading material from J.R.R. Tolkien.

In this thread, we encourage you to share not only works of J.R.R. Tolkien, but also your own Middle-earth and Tolkien inspired works-- including poems, songs, art, blog posts, photos, character bios, how you celebrate the day, what a favorite passage/work means to you, etc.

Let us use this thread to create a wonderful place to spend Tolkien Reading Day! What better way to celebrate our own kinship's 7th Anniversary!

Here are a few interesting reads to get you started ;)

Forum Image

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lindorieh
Morfindiel
Officer

Awarded:

I remember one year we gathered at Tom Bombadil's house in the evening and read aloud passages of Tolkien. I think we used in game voice, but we could also set up Teamspeak or Ventrillo for this.

Laerlenn
Dannigan
Officer

Awarded:

Thanks for posting all of this Lhinn! This is terrific!

Honor and fun,
Dann a.k.a. Gori

"No language is justly studied merely as an aid to other purposes. It will in fact better serve other purposes, philological or historical, when it is studied for love, for itself." - J.R.R. Tolkien, English and Welsh (1955)
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien

My Lonely Mountain Band characters include Dannigan (main, 100th-level Human Warden), Briamil (95th-level Elven Rune-keeper), Gori "Mithrilfist" Brightforge (95th-level Dwarven Champion), Mithrilfists (also Gori, 60th-level Dwarven Guardian), and Whittle (95th-level Hobbit Hunter). Far apart, never alone! =)
Lhinnthel
Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

This is a wonderful post with various Tolkien scholars reading favorite passages: http://www.tolkiensociety.org/2015/03/today-is-tolkien-reading-day/

I'll be snuggled on the couch reading the /lmbbookclub book tomorrow! What will you be doing?

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

So, the theme is 'friendship' for this Tolkien Reading Day, so I'll present a passage and how it fits in -- and also a bit of a trivia quiz!

Which steadfast friend and servant gave the following advice: "From the shadow of death you can no longer save [name], for by [his/her] love [he/she] is now subject to it. You can turn from your fate and lead [him/her] into exile, seeking peace in vain while your life lasts. But if you will not deny your doom, then either [name], being forsaken, must assuredly die alone, or [he/she] must with you challenge the fate that lies before you -- hopeless, yet not certain."

Who would be so prescient? A Maia perhaps? Or a far-sighted Elf? Sounds a bit like Gandalf- or Galadriel-advice, doesn't it?

In fact, this noble being was the first of only two to ever defeat Sauron in physical combat.

This being is a key participant in the greatest epic of the First Age.

Have you discerned who it is yet?

Spoiler (Click To Show):
Why, of course, it is Huan, the Hound of Valinor! (As told in The Silmarillion.)

In the time before the First Age, Huan was gifted to one of the sons of Feanor by Orome himself and traveled to Middle Earth with his master during their exile. Huan was fated with the gift of speech, which he could use only three times. Huan's words are only recorded once -- the advice he gives to Luthien prior to her escape from Nargothrond, and his farewell to Beren after slaying the Wolf of Angband, are not recorded. Only the middle speech, his advice to Beren upon being reunited with Luthien after Beren's rescue from Sauron's dungeons, is quoted above.

Huan was strong enough to bear Luthien as a rider. Huan was also blessed with extraordinary long life until he should meet the greatest of all wolves. Knowing this prophecy, Sauron himself came out to battle Huan in wolf-form, when Huan accompanied Luthien to Tol-in-Gaurhoth (the Isle of Werewolves) to rescue Beren. Despite Sauron's powers of shape-shifting, Huan defeated him. Later, after heeding Huan's advice, Beren and Luthien continued on to Angband to wrest the Silmaril from Morgoth's crown.

Finally, Huan rescued Beren from the terrible wolf Carcharoth, the second time he had saved him (the first being when he turned on his former masters earlier in the quest), defeating the Wolf of Angband but dying from his wounds, thus allowing the Silmaril to be recovered at last. Without the friendship of Huan, first to Luthien and then to Beren, the Silmaril would never have been recovered.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

It's today! Wooot!

I love that, Byrcha!

I had a think about my favourite passages. Here are some of them!

First, from Sam's perspective in Mordor.
Quote:
There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tower high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.

And again - his song in Cirith Ungol this time.
Quote:
Though here at journey's end I lie
in darkness buried deep,
beyond all towers strong and high,
beyond all mountains steep,
Above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.

This is part of Bilbo's Song in Rivendell - it's wistful and beautiful, and makes me feel all sorts of things at once. I love that it got turned into a song and have vague plans to write it out in Sindarin/Tengwar and frame it.
Quote:
I sit beside the fire and think
Of how the world will be
When winter comes without a spring
That I shall ever see

For still there are so many things
That I have never seen
In every wood in every spring
There is a different green.

And finally, from Morgoth's Ring, a conversation between Finrod and Andreth.
Quote:
“Have ye then no hope?” said Finrod.
“What is hope?” she said. “An expectation of good, which though uncertain has some foundation in what is known? Then we have none.”

“That is one thing that Men call ‘hope’,” said Finrod. “Amdir we call it, ‘looking up’. But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is “trust”. It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and first being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any Enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of Estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End: of all His designs the issue must be for His Children’s joy. Amdir you have not, you say. Does no Estel at all abide?”

I know the theme this year is friendship, but the theme of most of my favourites seems to be hope in darkness or something like that. Still, not a bad theme to have, I suppose!

Happy New Year, Free Peoples!

Awarded:

This was quite fun! Many folks shared passages in kinchat last night, which quickly evolved into something of a guessing-game. Sadly, there were no passages describing how the Valar created pie in the elder days, maybe next year ...

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: