Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Formation Riding Team -- Moving Forward

Greetings, riding team members and those who wish to join!

Although the social activities in the game have kept us quite busy, the FRT hasn't been completely forgotten. I've received several messages from folks, asking when the next show will be. This thread has been started to see who is interested in the team, what you would like to see for the team's future, and how we can make it more fun for everyone.

So first off, let's start with an interesting topic: t-shirts! Galenhir pointed out that custom printed t-shirts and really cheap and easy to come by. Would you all be interested in a Windy Acres shirt? This could be for team members and also people who have participated in racing who might like one. I was thinking of something subtle and understated, that can be worn anywhere without feeling too "geeky". Something like...
Forum Image

There are numerous web sites out there which let you design t-shirts on the fly and show you images such as the one above. If you have a great idea for a t-shirt, or just want to express your interest in having a t-shirt to show your Windy Acres pride, post and let us know.

Next up, deed steeds! When we're not working on a performance routine, how many of you would like to meet once a week to start unlocking rare horses? If we go together, we can knock out slayer deeds, instances, and all the other prerequisites of some of the most interesting steeds in the game. If enough of you are interested, we can put together a guide showing us which tasks need to be completed for each horse, and start working down the list to complete them.

I also want to mention the Steed of Rivendell that is available both as a standard mount as as war steed tack. I know at least two of us have purchased it. It's the most *showy* steed I've ever seen. It could be useful to ride in the next FRT routine. Is this steed special enough that we should make a concerted effort to acquire it on one character? Do we want to use this steed in an upcoming show?

Which brings us to... scheduling! During the war steed routine training, folks were meeting twice a week, on both Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 9:30pm. That's probably too often for most people. Which day of the week do you prefer? Is 9:30pm a good time, or would you prefer to start earlier?

Last but not least, let's talk about recruitment. We have barely enough members to field a quadrille team, and nobody to cover for us if someone can't make a show at the last minute. There have also been several Banders interested in joining, but they weren't sure how to get started. How best can we open the team up to new recruits?

Of course, I'm sure I haven't covered everything. Please do post any comments and suggestions that you have. Thanks for being such an amazing part of a wonderful team!

Awarded:

I would be interested in getting started with my Idryn, though she is not high enough for a war steed of her own yet. I was partly waiting until I had a computer where lag would not be an issue, as I suspect it would have been on my netbook.

I would definitely LOVE to group together to unlock rare steeds. That would be awesome.

I like tshirts that are not too obviously geeky too ;)

Alt kin: Virtus Tentamine Gaudet - Packzii, Amberflora, Idrynna, Tartlett

"Indeed in nothing is the power of the Dark Lord more clearly shown than in the estrangement that divides all those who still oppose him."

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places;
but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief,
it grows perhaps the greater."

"...together they (Aragorn and Arwen) went up into the High City, and all the stars flowered in the sky."
Corulin
Corumael
Pretty Officer

Awarded:

This is something I would love to be able to do but sadly it's too hard for me blushing
I can't remember more than one or two patterns in a row, and I wouldn't be able to perform in front of an audience because I forget things when people look at me ^^;

I'd really love to join in unlocking rare steeds though :) If you need to be high level to unlock them I will have trouble though, since I play LOTRO like if I were reading a book so I need to quest up to every instance :) These are the ones I can do so far and I'll soon enter Eregion and will be able to do the instances there as well:
Great Barrow, Garth Agarwen, Fornost, Helegrod, Urugarth, Carn Dûm, Rift, Barad Gúlaran.
I don't know if any of these are part of any rare horse deeds though?

Officer

Awarded:

Two pieces of good news --

* Most of our routines are done on standard steeds. If you don't have a war steed yet, it's okay.

* We give everyone a sheet they can print out with a diagram of the routine, so you always have something to reference while you ride. We also spend months in practice, so everyone has the routine memorized by the time we ride in the show. We start out doing just one maneuver at a time, and build on that slowly. Believe me, it's not nearly as complicated as it looks!

Awarded:

I too like the W.A.R. shirt with the small logo.

re deed steeds: you're in luck Corulin! One of the nicest deed steeds (Dunedain great steed) comes from completing all of the deeds in the Shadows of Angmar instances (running Carn Dum, Urugarth, and Barad Gularan multiple times, and one successful completion each of Helegrod and Rift). Once you are high enough level you can solo parts of these to complete the various slayer deeds. Not something for a weekend or a month, but something to work at. I can show you the steed if you want to see it.

Personally, I am hoping that riding practice doesn't resume until late-summer/early-fall. Once a week is good for starters, with the extra practices being held closer to a scheduled performance. Standard- or 168%-speed horses would be great. I too picked up the Rivendell steed (account wide); it is one of the nicest they've offered.

That said, even if practice isn't starting right away, I am interested in running instances or running around to acquire rep items too. It is a fun way to get everyone involved.

Regarding learning the performances, it is easier than it looks at a glance. It just takes practice, like anything else. If you look at a finished performance, it can look intimidating. Imagine being a level-7 character fresh out of the LOTRO intro -- were you ready for Rohan, Moria, Angmar, or even the Great Barrow? Of course not. But with some practice, eventually you are ready.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Corulin
Corumael
Pretty Officer

Awarded:

Kiralynn of Rohan wrote:
* We give everyone a sheet they can print out with a diagram of the routine, so you always have something to reference while you ride. We also spend months in practice, so everyone has the routine memorized by the time we ride in the show. We start out doing just one maneuver at a time, and build on that slowly. Believe me, it's not nearly as complicated as it looks!

Yes it is! XD

I joined in on a practice session earlier to see if it's something I could learn, and I'm sure I can learn after a long while how to do the practice sessions, but as soon as there is an audience it will be completely different. I get stressed when people look at me, but when playing in a band you stand still so people don't notice if you freeze up for a few seconds. While riding you can't stop between all the patterns to see where you are supposed to go next, and when I'm stressed, my memory stops working ^^;

I even have problem with the festival races! When I'm all alone I ride almost perfectly and never fail and never fall, but if someone suddenly appears in front of me I get stuck on fences and fall off the planks lol

It's a pity though, because this looks very much like something I'd enjoy a lot! I like all the horse related things of LOTRO! It's strange, but it's very rare to be able to ride horses in a game. It's more common with giant birds, flying skateboards, robot bears and flying demon cats as mounts lol

Byrcha wrote:
re deed steeds: you're in luck Corulin! One of the nicest deed steeds (Dunedain great steed) comes from completing all of the deeds in the Shadows of Angmar instances (running Carn Dum, Urugarth, and Barad Gularan multiple times, and one successful completion each of Helegrod and Rift). Once you are high enough level you can solo parts of these to complete the various slayer deeds. Not something for a weekend or a month, but something to work at. I can show you the steed if you want to see it.

Wohoo! What luck! =D Yes, I'd love to see the steed! :)
If you all are going to work on those deeds I'd love to join in! And I can try helping to gather rep items too :)

I snagged the Rivendell Steed too! It's the most beautiful store horse so far! =D

High Officer

Awarded:

I love everything to do with FRT so sign me up for steed-deeding, performances, etc.

Corulin, I think you could do it! I suffer from some pretty extreme anxiety, both in game and out and never thought I would ever be able to remember, let alone perform these routines in front of an audience -- yet I do (yes I make a few small mistakes, but noone seems to mind very much). Not to mention, I have an awful memory as well! We are so repetitive and concise in our learning of the routine though - that it becomes a habit and not so hard to remember! I hope you will give it a try again!

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Corulin
Corumael
Pretty Officer

Awarded:

Lhinnthel wrote:
Corulin, I think you could do it! I suffer from some pretty extreme anxiety, both in game and out and never thought I would ever be able to remember, let alone perform these routines in front of an audience -- yet I do (yes I make a few small mistakes, but noone seems to mind very much). Not to mention, I have an awful memory as well! We are so repetitive and concise in our learning of the routine though - that it becomes a habit and not so hard to remember! I hope you will give it a try again!

You suffer from anxiety too? Well, since I've seen you ride and know that you do a really good job at it, maybe I shouldn't give up just yet then! :D At the moment I have a little too much on my plate, but maybe I can come practice with you all a little later in the year? :)

Officer

Awarded:

I'm happy to wait on designing a new routine until winter time. If folks want to get together informally on a weekly basis for steed deeding before that, I'm very happy to do so.

I actually did get the Apprentice riding trait for my one character, now that it can be done. That allows all my steeds to go at +68%. I was toying with the idea of finding a way to get us all the Journeyman trait. War steeds are really challenging to do routines for, but what if we all had +78% steeds at a walk? It would be a much faster walk than on a +62% steed (16% faster). That might make it a little more "peppy" than the previous standard steed routines, but not the rollercoaster of a war steed. It would also allow us to choose any steeds in our collections. Would folks be interested in this, assuming I could wrangle up some kind of discount?

At the moment, I'm trying to finish earning Kindred reputation with Limlight, so that I can buy both of their horses. After that, I'm hoping to hit Angmar pretty hard. There's the horse that Byrcha is talking about, but also another horse you get just from running some specific instance out there. Someone showed it to me a long time ago, but I can't remember quite how to get it. Anyway, if you see me online and feel like working on steed deeds, just PST!

Kiralynn of Rohan wrote:
[...] but what if we all had +78% steeds at a walk? It would be a much faster walk than on a +62% steed (16% faster).

I'd have to double-check this, but I have the Journeyman Riding trait and I'm pretty sure I've participated in mounted walking processions without turning it off. I think all the steeds walk at the same pace regardless of their running pace.

Otherwise, I would have some interest in working through to get the deed steeds, although time is a limiting factor for me. Most nights I need to be out of the game by about 10:15 servertime.
Lindorieh
Morfindiel
Officer

Awarded:

I would like to join as an alternate. Because of my RL commitments, I often cannot make weekend events, but I can usually make it in game weekday evenings. I'd love to work on a routine and deeding for steeds sounds like fun too. Unlike everyone else, though, summer evenings are easier for me than fall.

Lindorieh

On Crickhollow - Morivanye- Rangers of Ithilien

On Anor: -Morfindiel, Laerlenn -Mythgard

On Ithil: Morfindiel - The Kin

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Calycanthus and I tested it. The riding traits do also affect mount walk speeds. It is noticeably faster to walk on a +78% steed than a +62% steed!

I would also like to sign up to assist. I was in marching band, so I'm very familiar with running and writing drills/formations. My online time is usually in the weekday mornings and early afternoons, though. I propose 2 practices a week, one in the evening and one at night? That way there's two time zone friendly options to try and make at lease one practice a week. I love the idea of this group also questing for rare steeds.

Does the speed increase also apply if you have Smell the Roses active while walking? I was under the impression that this skill made you walk/trot at the non-warsteed speed?
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

It's my understanding that if you activate Smell the Roses BEFORE you mount, the steed will go at its normal pace. We might test this to confirm.

If you'd like to read more about formation riding, the web page is here:
http://windyacres.mymiddleearth.com/?page_id=2802

The how-to guide is here:
http://windyacres.mymiddleearth.com/?page_id=1806

Everyone is welcome to submit a routine to the team.
You can see a sample routine diagram here:
http://www.roll3d6.com/banders/dressage/Route-Novice-1.pdf

Here is a video of the novice team performing the routine above:

Here's the team doing their first routine in 2012:
Forum Image

Here are our cute outfits from the second routine:
Forum Image

Here's one of our larger practices:
Forum Image

Awarded:

By the way, if a dozen people wanted Windy Acres shirts, they'd be $10 each.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: