Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

re: Volunteer Call - Barrels and Bookie

Greetings, Banders!

I need volunteers for important roles at the Spring Racing Carnival, scheduled for May 17th.

* The rodeo needs three "barrels" for the Barrel Racing competition starting at 5:15pm.
Riders navigate their war steeds in a loop pattern around three "barrels". Those who ride the route in the fastest time, without touching (riding through) any barrels, win great prizes. We need three people, preferably hobbits and dwarves, to dress in "safety orange" outfits with tall, pointy hats. They'll need to move their camera into an overhead view and watch as riders go around them. If a rider touches or rides through them, they'll need to do a funny emote (/scold, /angry, /roar, /faint, /spin, etc.) and /tell me they were touched. The riders are supposed to go around the barrels without touching them, so a touch gives them a time penalty. This is an easy but very important job, as it directly affects scoring.

* The Bree Championship Cup needs a bookie starting at 8:20pm EDT/server.
The bookie is a person who takes "bets" during the final race of the SRC. The bookie advertises a list of racer names in the Regional chat. All the people watching the race can place a "bet" by sending the bookie a /tell with the name of ONE rider they think will win the race. They do not give the bookie any money, just the name of a rider. After the race, the bookie collects the names of everyone who correctly guessed the winner. Several of these names are selected randomly and prizes are awarded. The bookie will need to accept many /tells, keep track of dozens of names, and use some method of selecting names randomly at the end.

Forum Image

These volunteers will need to coordinate with me during the events. I won't have time to explain these jobs while trying to organize event participants, so it's important to recruit help ahead of time. As always, I'll try to get nice little rewards for my volunteers after the SRC is over. Please reply to this post if you'd like the job and will be available. Thank you for volunteering!

Last edited by Kiralynn of Rohan on 2014/04/24 10:01 am; edited 2 times in total

Awarded:

Byrcha will dust off her traffic-cone outfit!

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Bittercress
Bittercress

Awarded:

Responded in main thread already, but for consistency, Bittercress can be small, orange and pointy!
Bellcari

re: Volunteer

Last year I was a cow (or maybe it was a sheep) for herding practice so I am sure I can be a barrel. Do you want 'me in a box'? It would be great if there were actual barrels (a la Hobbit and journey to Laketown)...
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

For the barrel volunteers --

The Rodeo is the longest and most complicated of all the events during the SRC. Let’s coordinate now, so that nobody feels pressured to figure things out at the last minute.

I’ll start by explaining the rodeo in detail.

The Rodeo will take place at Hengstacer Farms. It consists of three competitive events, with three rodeo clown comedy segments. We'll have an introduction, a comedy segment, the barrel racing, comedy segment #2, the name-that-breed contest, comedy segment #3, and finally a name-that-song contest.

With any luck, it will go like this:
* 5 min - Introduction
* 10 min - Comedy segment 1
* 30 min - Barrel racing <--- Barrels!
* 10 min - Comedy segment 2
* 15 min - Name That Breed
* 10 min - Comedy segment 3
* 15 min - Name That Song

We need to roll through these as smoothly as possible. During the comedy segments, I’ll be handling sign-ups for the next event.

We have a band, the "Just Abby’s", playing during the non-comedy segments and after the show. The "Sore Thumbs" will be performing comedy skits. Eukwen will handle the Name-That-Song music.

I will try to post a map of the barrel racing field, showing where barrels will stand, before the event. (Worst case scenario, I'll just walk out there and show you when the event begins.)

You'll need to do an overhead zoom and set your graphics so that you only see things nearby, in order to get the least graphical lag and have the best view of riders going around you. If a rider hits you, you can /faint, /roar, /angry, /cower, /spin, or /tantrum. This shows the audience that you were hit, so they can keep track of how well the riders are doing. Since I might not see/hear the emote, please also /tell me.

I'll be on the Backstage channel if you need to reach me through chat and cut through the spam. We can also join a Fellowship, if that's helpful.

And now for a big question ---
Would you like to help with the Name That Breed contest?

A rider will mount up on a rare (or at least uncommon) steed. The audience will shout out the correct, full name of that breed. The first people to shout the correct breed name score points. After a dozen horses, those who score the highest win prizes.
If you would like to help out with this, have a cosmetic slot with a non-silly-orange outfit. Something that goes well with just about any horse. I'll call out the name of a steed. If you have it, you'll mount up (either the standard or war-steed version is fine, as long as the war-steed has only that tack, no mix-n-match). After people shout names, I'll let you know when to switch to another mount.

Last edited by Kiralynn of Rohan on 2014/04/22 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

Awarded:

Byrcha can certainly help with the name-that-breed contest.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Thank you to everyone who has signed up so far!

A quick note to Rodeo Barrels -- the rodeo now starts half an hour earlier, at 5:30pm EDT/servertime. Please contact Kiralynn to join a Fellowship by 5:15pm. The barrel racing should start by 6:00pm and last for 30 minutes.

We still need a bookie for the Bree Cup. This person accepts /tells from people and writes down the name of the ONE rider they think will win the race. Once the race is over, all the names of people who picked the winning rider are thrown "into a hat". A name (possibly more than one) is drawn and that person wins a prize.

If you're a barrel, you're also welcome to be the bookie, in case you're interested.

Awarded:

If the position has not been filled, Lhinnthel should be available to act as bookie for the Bree Cup.

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Fantastic! Thank you for volunteering. I'll add your name to the advertisement, if you don't have an objection, so that people know who to contact?

Awarded:

SOunds good Kira!

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

This is just a reminder to bookies and barrels that the big event is this coming Saturday. Hopefully I'll see you at the events. If you won't be able to make it, it would be extremely helpful if you could find someone to take your place. Thank you!

Jump to: