Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Suncho

re: ESO

I'm just not concerned with bugged quests on a new game launch. Most MMOs have plenty of bugs every expansion launch, sometimes they're game-breaking for awhile. The bugs from the last Beta weekend were partly due to them using an older build, that weekend was for stress testing, not bug chasing. And if a particular quest or quests are bugged I'll just go on to the next one. You can't do all the quests on one character anyway without out-leveling a given area.

Early access will give me 5 days to make 8 characters exactly "just so" in character creation with just the right names, and get some of them through the starter areas. After that it will depend on how the community / kins, etc. go to see who would become my main.

I got the Imperial edition because I'm like 90% sure that my best mains are going to be Imperials - I enjoyed being Imperials the most in both Oblivion and Skyrim. I'm sure that Imperials will eventually become accessible to everyone, but I want to get in on the ground floor.

I'm sure I'll be around occasionally, and I'll be happy to say "it's going fine", but I'm leery of sounding like I'm talking down LoTRO, which I don't want to do. Yesterday I paid up maintenance on all 9 of my houses for 6 months...
Vendek

They did not announce it, but they opened the overflow servers yesterday for a few hours to test them. Had a large patch, on the load screen it did not say Beta It said Elder Scrolls Online (NA)North America would be my guess.I had 8 quest on there I could not complete in last betas for bugs, I completed everyone of them on this test except one. (The ncp was still a no show). So for me, that was a great improvement. Noticed added features in character creation and several new quest I had not seen before.
Tearna Quickfoot
Pink Officer

Hmmm... Oddly enough, I have never tried the imperial class. Not even this past weekend as I was hoping to get one of my characters up to 10 with the limited time I had available to play (and then only made 9.75... sigh and drats!!).

What is it about imperial that you particularly like... other than that they can associate with any of the 3 factions?

I may have to break out Skyrim and try the imperial class.

Other active games: ESO (Tearna, T'nar, Tealan, etc.)
Kyrian
Kyrian Starwalker
Officer

Awarded:

I did play it a couple of times, but the bugs actually got worse on the second round. So bad that it took two of us 4 hours to complete one quest.

The movement mechanics are the game-breaker for me though. I tried to set up keys to replicate other games, but there is no way to set turn left or turn right on the kb. That can only be done with mouse buttons. For me, that means no running around using either mouse or kb. I have to always be using both simultaneously which is painful and awkward. Until they put a normal system in, I doubt I will play it at all.

It's a shame really, as I liked the game otherwise. The story was engaging and the scenery was stunning.
`Tinki`
Officer

I have the very same gripe with Skyrims controls as Kyrian. Although I played Morrowind to completion some 10 years ago, I cannot anymore use the awkward (to me) movement controls. Skyrims single player game just never clicked with me.

Master of BOOT,..but otherwise at your service,....And your families.

Suncho

Opening day (pre-release pre-orders only) was the smoothest I've ever seen for a launch day for a new game. I have 8 characters now, all level 3 or 4:

Imperials:
Sigismundo Rimini
Livia Rimini
Sharona Rimini

High Elf:
Tauriel Thorn

Wood Elf:
Uighilin

Khajit:
Do'Zohan Zahan

Breton:
Rhayanna Morton

Nord:
Aud

I spent at least 30-60 minutes on character creation on each one, but had worked out names in the past couple of weeks. Aud was the only one I was really not sure I'd get, and I did her first when the servers opened about 20 minutes before the actual scheduled time.

I distributed them between all 3 alliances, have 2 of each character class, and have figured out which crafting profession(s) each will take. I've decided which armor types (light, medium, heavy) I want to go with on each one, and a primary weapon class skill (I'll have decided secondaries by level 15, which is when you can swap weapons with a button push).

I'm not planning on having any of them get bitten as werewolves or vampires at this time, though I won't rule it out as a future option. The Rimini's are my "political" family, I'm planning to have one of them for sure betray the alliance they're in (I sent one to each alliance).

Biggest complaint so far: I didn't buy 2 pre-order accounts, and can only make 8 characters on the one megaserver (everyone should have such problems). I have too many names and too many personalities I want to develop over time, Claudius in particular is angry that he didn't get made into a character.

See ya'll around!
Atanvarno

I created several ESO characters yesterday too, but my main is Caecilius, an Imperial Templar. Please feel free to hit me up if you're looking for a friend in-game! :)
Andeon
Officer

while I feel like smacking myself for pre-ordering (I usually find pre-ordering to be a shameless cash grab), I did this time, almost solely for the chance to reserve some character names, plus the option to play as any race in any alliance (the mudcrab pet didn't hurt, though :))

so, I've got one main on the NA server - I play at odd times (very late at night, little more on weekends), but you should be able to find me as ayeddenn (possibly only one "n" or "d" - I can't remember for sure right now), breton nightblade playing for the Daggerfall covenant.

I've got several others, but they're mostly holding out in the coldharbour starting zone until I decide if I like the game enough to subscribe long term.

overall impressions...game is surprisingly stable - bugs I've encountered so far (admittedly, I've only played about 7 hours or so) are relatively minor and mostly cosmetic, the community is...tolerable, with occasional niceness, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit overall. The quest writing so far is FANTASTIC, and I think probably one of the highest points of the game - it looks good, although I won't vouch for graphics optimization, combat is fun and active without being gruelingly hard or lightning fast.

Crafting is...*I'd* say, very complex. I know there have been considerably MORE complex crafting systems, but crafting includes resource gathering, item deconning, item creation, "style" recipes, item improvement, item feature research, and does all of these functions across at least 4 major and 1 minor (cooking) craft, plus a sub-crafting tier for enchanting...I find it very...complex. Not confusing, particularly - but theres a lot alotta lot of work to do in crafting - that's not BAD, per se, but it can be a barrier if that sort of thing bothers you.

exploration is fun, although I'd say, for my own part, any one zone feels considerably more contained than most Elder Scrolls titles - but there's lots to find, and lots of fun, unimportant, but "flavorful" things to find (found a guy's note saying he was going to dig himself a hole into a crypt - how hard could it be? few feet away, there's a skeleton with a giant block crushing it :) - no quest, no loot, no treasure, no dungeon - just a fun little tidbit)

still haven't tried PVP yet - gonna give that some time...lotta time...

re: Feedback on ESO

a guy on the reddit ESO forum posted a bit ago:

*It's a feeling I haven't experienced since my starting days in Everquest. The days in which me and my friends spent hours hiding *in Greater Faydark, relying on foraging to keep our hungry bellies full. The days in which nightfall meant certain death. It's a *feeling i experienced when i left Freeport for the first time, determined to make the journey to Queynos on foot. My friend, *standing at the gates of Freeport, unsure if he should follow. The terror and excitement of the unknown called to me.
*The same feeling happened again, in the earliest adventuring days in another world known as Azeroth. As a young hunter i set out *to tame a wolf that I would keep by my side forever, no matter what. We were the dearest of friends. We witnessed the treants *protecting the city and the nearby villages.
*And it happened last night, as I helped a young Khajit (SPOILERS AHEAD IN THIS PARAGRAPH) free himself from the twisted bonds of *a father addicted to skooma and money. I then turned north to find a queen i have sworn my allegience to only to be surrounded by *the restless undead.
*I felt something last night that I had not felt in years... An actual sense of wonder. for the first time in years i stopped *caring about levels, points, numbers, chores... I was just exploring the game and wondering what came next rather than what I had *to do to fill some bar.
*Well done Developers... well done.

and a commenter later said something that rang major bells with me:

*...Leveling is just something that happens now...

So far this week in early access, these are the two feelings I've felt more than once. So yah, I'm liking it.

One of the things in the game is the sheer number of written lore materials - lorebooks are collectable for the mages guild series, and if you are into actually reading the things you're clicking on you can be entertained for hours.

NPCs will make comments as you go by, one of them said to me today "surprise me, say something intelligent".

The AI of the mobs will let them coordinate; sometimes they'll come from a room up the corridor to see what is happening and then join in against you.

The movement and the combat and the quests are a very very different experience from LoTRO or SW:TOR; they can definitely take some getting used to. Opening locked chests can actually require you to play the lockpick mini game.

Oops, gotta run for now!
Tearna Quickfoot
Pink Officer

I love exploring... and questing... and exploring. Finally got my girl up to a whole level 7!!!... and have explored every inch of Bleakrock. I found a treasure map in a chest and spent hours roaming about looking for the spot that looked like the drawing. (Hint: treasure chest from maps are buried under dirt, not sitting on the top of the ground. I could have cut an hour off my search had I been aware of that going into it. hehe)

I'm in no hurry to level up. Just enjoying exploring and picking up resources and finding treasure chests. Love treasure chests and lock picking!!

I've moved on to the next area (volcanic)and I miss Bleakrock and its pristine snow. It is awesome how the weather changes so naturally. It would be a sunny morning, with a few clouds... and later you'd notice it was clouding up or fogging in... and the wind would come up and blow the snow on the ground around. I was never in a blizzard type event, and in fact... never much snow falling though in Beta I was in a pretty heavy snowfall. Very pretty. Love the sunrises and sunsets. I miss Bleakrock and sadly, the bad guys burned the town down (shades of Archet except everyone evacuated) and took it over.

I do wish they had costume slots. My girl was frozen roaming about Bleakrock with no sleeves and without a cloak!

But, I always have Lotro to come back to for my wardrobe fix...if only LOTRO would give me more wardrobe space!!! hehe

Other active games: ESO (Tearna, T'nar, Tealan, etc.)
Ealthina

Got a couple toons...

Ealthina and Seloy Deppara both are Daggerfall Cov...

Look me up.
Ealthina

Sorry for double.. IS there going to be enough folks playing at least semi casually to have a LMB or Kin guild there?
Galzagar
Officer

Awarded:

Heya folks, Newest ESO member here. I am Galzagar (of course) Nord Dragon knight. Feel free to hit me up. Would love to entertain the idea of forming guild with all of you. See you in game

TO form a guild everyone of that guild must be the same faction no? I really have no idea.
Vendek

Well, I have three characters at the moment, one in each Alliance. So I would be set for any Alliance that is chosen.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: