Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Second Breakfast
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluecup Bumbleroot

re: Low or no carb recipes tested by Diabetic w/ high cholestero

Too long; didn't read: I am a diabetic relying on metformin, glimiperide,atorvastatin, and other medications for low sugars and cholesterol too. Low carb is what is keeping me from having to use insulin right now and also helping me lose weight. If low carb or Keto diets are NOT recommended to you by a doc, please skip! I don't want anyone harming themselves following this when they don't need to!

(Sides)
CHEESY BROCOLI:

stick of cream cheese, room temp
    24 oz lightly steamed broccoli OR frozen bag four about 4 mins in microwave
    1 tsp dried garlic powder
    1 packet of dry ranch seasoning
    salt, pepper, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
    Parmesan cheese for topping

Pre heat oven to 350.

Mix room temp cream cheese, shredded, ranch seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic in a bowl.

If you have fresh broccoli, steam it gently for 2-4 minutes according to personal taste of broc doneness. If you have bags of frozen broccoli, I found nuking them for 4 minutes instead of the 5 mostly thaws them.

Toss broccoli in bowl with cream cheese and cheese mixture, stir until everything is well coated. Spoon into your fave casserole dish (spray with oil if you want), sprinkle with Parmesan, and pop in the oven for 10 mins.

It's really good. I ate some last night, and re-heated some in the microwave just now to eat something before going to work and it re-heats well the next day.

MAINS
SAUSAGES (or snausages) AND CABBAGE SUPER SIMPLE!

Half a head of cabbage, cut thin, half an onion chopped medium small fried for 2-4 mins, placed cabbage in a pan with some butter, sprinkled with kosher salt, white pepper, smoked paprika, garlic cloves, dashes of Worcestershire sauce. Let it cook for 10+ mins until browning, then
tossed in thinly sliced hillshire farms polska kelbasa , cooked until sausages started to brown a little.

STEAMED CABBAGE LEAF WRAPPED BURRITO:
The verdict by myself and my husband is: GREAT! Absolutely NO cabbage flavoring. The cabbage leaves were a little small and some stuff tended to leak out, but in my humble opinion, it's not great mexican (like) food if it's not messy. I did place the leaves in boiling water for more than 5 mins at least, and then turned the water off, covered and let sit in the water and steam for another 10. The leafy green part was perfect, the stem / main vein? was crispy. I didn't want to cook the leaves until they disintegrated though. It was surprisingly nice. The little bit of crunchiness was enough to at least remind me of eating a taco shell. Not the same at all, texture wise, but, the meat and toppings shone through completely.

Replacing normal flour with Almond flour, IF you can afford it, for deep frying chicken breasts cuts your carb intake drastically and creates just as delicious crunchy crispiness. Also can fry it in cast iron pan with olive oil. Lower temp, longer time, still delicious. z

Cauliflower rice? Not that bad at all. Pruchase it via Publix. Use it in place of white/brown rice now and also to use as a "cauliflower pizzaz crust." Very good. Mixed with other flavors, was worried all I'd get was overwhelming stinky cauliflower taste. Surprise! Did not!

Along with experimenting with food, we've cut out white bread, white rice, white sugar, white pasta, brown rice, whole wheat pastas and anything else that hide a surprisnly large amount of carbs in them. I've lost 20lbs in two months so far just watching carbs alone.

Anyhooooooooo! Hope some of this helps. Will continuing sharing my favorite low-to-no-carb recipes as I find them!

Awarded:

Ooh! All of those sound lovely! I struggle with my weight too and also should be watching my carbs for much the same reasons (type 2 diabetes here too!) and I've made a couple things that turned out really good and don't have flour in them. Not the same-same as the real thing, but worked pretty well!

Zucchini Lasagna (can also do with eggplant)

2 large, raw, Whole Zucchini or like, 4 little ones or 2-3 good sized eggplant
1 can Lentils (or cook enough to make about 2 cups cooked measurement if you want to have better control over the salt)
2 Eggs
2 containers Extra Smooth Ricotta Cheese - Light
1 tbsp, Garlic, raw, diced or through the garlic press thingy (or more to taste)
4 tbsp, Basil, fresh or about 1 tbsp dried
1 tbsp, Oregano (dried)
1 can Primo Thick and Zesty Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce (or your favourite homemade or low carb option)
2 cups, Shredded Mozzarella Part Skim Cheese
2 tbsp, 100 % Grated Parmesan

Slice up the zucchini really finely (I used a mandolin slicer thingy) lengthwise makes it look more like lasagna, but the rounds work too kinda lol

Mix everything else except the spaghetti sauce together in a big bowl (save about 1/2 cup of mozza for the topping). Put a little pasta sauce enough to cover the bottom of the pan and make a layer of zucchini on the bottom of your pan (I used a 9x13 pan and it was not quite enough zucchini but it worked ish), then spread with the cheesy lentil mix, then put another layer of zucchini, then another layer of cheesy mix, then another layer of zucchini. Top the whole thing with the rest of the spaghetti sauce and then sprinkle the reserved mozzarella on top of all that. Bake @ 350 or so til everything is bubbling and the cheese is all nice and melty, about 1/2 hour or so I think it took.

It's a little soupier than real lasagna but it tastes really super :)

Is it festival time yet?
Carysta

Awarded:

Chicken Salad Boats

Cooked chicken breast diced up (enough for however many servings you are making, I usually use one breast if it's me alone)
1 or 2 baby dill pickles, diced up
about 2 tbsp diced onion
about 2 tbsp diced celery
about 2 tbsp mayo
pepper or other spices to taste (I usually put in a little cayenne because I like it lol)
some diced cheese if you like cheese

Mix all the above together. Slice a bell pepper in half lengthwise and clean out the seeds n all. Put the salad in the pepper and serve cold for delicious bread free salad boats. Can do with any meat really, I just like chicken :)

Is it festival time yet?
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

You two are just doing this to make me hungry, right?

Carysta

Awarded:

Aedon Durreah wrote:
You two are just doing this to make me hungry, right?

Yes! It's our hobbity selves, we like to talk about foodses!

Is it festival time yet?
Durakili

Here's what I use: https://www.ketochow.xyz/

TBH- not to stress the bad joke, but I do have a See-Food problem: See Food, Eat Food :D

(same goes for beer- but thats another story)

I do VERY well on a Ultra-low carb diet: but anytime food gets involved, I'm tempted to stray.

Anyway- I drink these shakes mostly. But the site does have links to other sites with low/ultra-low carb recipes, like https://www.ketochow.xyz/recipe/loaded-mashed-cauliflower/

( I can Highly Recommend this. My family doesn't like it because they dont like cauliflower.. MORE FOR MEEE!!!! :D )
Durakili

I say all this, then not two hours later head out and grab some Ethiopian food :) So long, diet! :D
Veriwin
Officer

I don't have a recipe as such, but I recently started using a spiralizer to make "veggie pasta" from zucchinis and butternut squash. Once you have your noodles, fry or bake them for a bit, add sauce 'n stuff, and you've got a low-carb meal that feels like eating Italian food. I don't miss regular pasta at all.
Carysta

Awarded:

Veriwin wrote:
I don't have a recipe as such, but I recently started using a spiralizer to make "veggie pasta" from zucchinis and butternut squash. Once you have your noodles, fry or bake them for a bit, add sauce 'n stuff, and you've got a low-carb meal that feels like eating Italian food. I don't miss regular pasta at all.

Oooh yes spiralized veggie 'noodles' are fantastic. I do this too!

Is it festival time yet?
Carysta

Awarded:

Durakili wrote:
Here's what I use: https://www.ketochow.xyz/

TBH- not to stress the bad joke, but I do have a See-Food problem: See Food, Eat Food :D

(same goes for beer- but thats another story)

I do VERY well on a Ultra-low carb diet: but anytime food gets involved, I'm tempted to stray.

Anyway- I drink these shakes mostly. But the site does have links to other sites with low/ultra-low carb recipes, like https://www.ketochow.xyz/recipe/loaded-mashed-cauliflower/

( I can Highly Recommend this. My family doesn't like it because they dont like cauliflower.. MORE FOR MEEE!!!! :D )

Oooh that sounds delicious... and I love cauliflower!!

Is it festival time yet?
Corulin
Corumael
Pretty Officer

Awarded:

re: Re: Low or no carb recipes tested by Diabetic w/ high choles

Bluecup Bumbleroot wrote:
CHEESY BROCOLI:

Tried this one today (but with homemade ranch seasoning mix since the ones they sell where I live seem to have the wrong ingredients) and it was super delicious! big grin

I've recently discovered "broccoli slaw" at Whole Foods.. fresh, not frozen...which is just the stem part of broccoli that has been processed to look like noodles... rounded and about half the length of spaghetti.. with a bare sprinkling of little carrot shreds. I steam or microwave that to desired tenderness and it is a great sub for noodles as well!

"Riced" broccoli and cauliflower are great subs too! Actually, very smart on the sellers part... they've taken the throw away portion of those veggies that no one likes much, and turned them into stuff they charge quite a bit for! haha

For your mashed cauliflower, I like it, but miss the starchy texture of potatoes a bit (I love potatoes and do miss crispy french fries). I've found that adding a tablespoon of coconut flour to a 16oz bag of cooked/pureed cauliflower helps 1) add that texture back, 2) is a tiny bit sweet, like potato, and 3) helps absorb the cream/butter if you use those... so it isn't so much like thick cauliflower soup. haha

Keto Chow looks interesting, but I can't drink my meals. I'll be looking for something to chew within 30 minutes.... or less! haha I've taken to snacking on a small handful of carrot chips (just carrots wave sliced thin on an angle)for my crunch quota.

Other active games: ESO (Tearna, T'nar, Tealan, etc.)
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Second Breakfast All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: