Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

re: In The Library ( A Page From Aedon's Journal)

I have spent the past couple of days going through the many tomes that arrived from the collection of Sahra Swift. I welcome this diversion. Well, not so much a diversion as a return to those things I find most familiar and comforting.

I am more at home with books than I am in the world of men. There is a comfort to be found among the stories and histories made up by the written word. And yes, for me there is a comfort to be found reading about times past. In truth, I still live in those days more so than the present.

It is good, if for a small time to see the names of those I dearly miss on the pages of the numerous pages. I can, if for a small time, close my eyes and remember them all. Mika’el, Beleg, Zah’ Qim. Brave warriors all. Lord Scarecrow, leader of the Knights of Yew before Katya. Katya, gone too soon from our lives. I have wondered often if you were aware how close behind you Mik followed? Are you together now? And do you watch down on the pathways of Aegis?

I like it here, in this library. For the first time in many years I feel at home. These books do not look on me with scorn. Nor does the past demand from me that which I am no longer able to give. Like the many books written of times past I am more a relic of history, than a useful member of todays world. For me, life has become more going through the movements, and doing what is expected of me.
There is no grand adventure to be found in living out my days as a governor of Yew. All that I could have done, has been done many times over. I have overseen the building of the docks in Yew. Born witness to the beautification of the Abbey, a place that long served as the heart of Yew. And I have brought home the Druids Glade to rest in the peace of Trammel. Some may mark these as great achievements:
And all I ever wanted to be was home.

To enjoy the company of friends and loved ones as the long shadows of night wrapped her arms around the Glade of Aegis.
I have remained here when all those I loved have moved on or surrendered their souls to the eternal rest. And though I have tried to adjust, to fit in. I am what I was the day that Mik and Katya died, Brother Kyriel moved on to preach the word, and Sahra quietly moved this library from Yew to safe keeping in Malas.

I am still alone in a room full of people. I have tried to make new friend, to search for new ways to live and contribute to the world. But in the end, I am still simply a knight without a Knight Elder to follow. I lack purpose and direction and find myself unable to reach out even to those who would be my friend. Or my lover.

I am thankful for these books. For a chance to look back into times that once were, and remember that once, if but for a time, Aegis was alive with music, laughter, song and friendship. And the desire I have to share this place with others is not to call attention to the great times I recall, but to remind all who come here that the people of Sosaria are great, and able to accomplish so much when they work together.
Beleg, I miss you. You were my brother and friend. Mika’el, leader of the Rangers when I was a part of it. Never a day passes when I do not recall your wisdom and lessons. Might balanced with humility. Those words describe my dear friend and sparring partner Alyssia. Brother Kyriel, you taught me that there were things beyond what we are that mattered more. Friendship, love, honor. Those should not be just words, but the way we live our lives.

Sahra, keeper of lore, guardian of the life and times not only of Aegis, but all of Sosaria. I will do my best to safeguard that which you have entrusted to me. And I will share it with all who will come to look through your books and hope they will not only remember the old times but find new hope for the future.

Tomorrow is but a word: but it is a beautiful word that brings with it now hope and promise. May those who are stewards of tomorrow learn well from those like Sahra and Bink. Our history is rich and deserving of preservation.

And when we forget yesterday, we turn tomorrow over to doubt and uncertainty.

Last edited by Aedon Durreah on 2018/05/23 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Milbargreenwood3k

Wow, that is intense. Felt like I was reading the appendices all over again. That was really good Aedon.
Tearna Quickfoot
Pink Officer

(Tearna)Awwwwww... clearly that poor man is sufferin' pie deprivation! Somebody feed 'im, quick!!! Cherry pie's a great pick-me-up!!

Awesome... :)

Other active games: ESO (Tearna, T'nar, Tealan, etc.)
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

Tearna Quickfoot wrote:
(Tearna)Awwwwww... clearly that poor man is sufferin' pie deprivation! Somebody feed 'im, quick!!! Cherry pie's a great pick-me-up!!

Awesome... :)

mmmm cherry pie.

Nibun
Officer

Awarded:

re: Re: In The Library ( A Page From Aedon's Journal)

Aedon Durreah wrote:

I am more at home with books than I am in the world of men. There is a comfort to be found among the stories and histories made up by the written word. And yes, for me there is a comfort to be found reading about times past. In truth, I still live in those days more so than the present.

Aye, well said Aedon. There is nothing more comforting than the collective wisdom gathered in a library. I've often imagined that the few scholars among the dwarves must have their libraries hidden behind magically sealed stone walls in carefully constructed subterranean caverns, impervious to theft, as they'd be impossible to plunder without setting off deadly traps -- for what precautions must be in place by a peoples who consider the mere reading of their tongue by strangers a deadly insult which they must guard with their lives, if need be. A small uncomfortable stone stool is all you'd get to sit on while holding in your hand a rather heavy stone tablet with tiny runic inscriptions chiselled on both sides as you'd squint in the semi-darkness, the only light available being from the torchlight in the corridor leading to the library and perhaps from one or two small candles as well.

"Hvat er þat Khazâd er í mínum sal verpumk orði á? Fundthradiru uzbadul Gwyneth-dûm!" 

Characters: Nibun, Baudhaegas, Albodr

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

re: Re: In The Library ( A Page From Aedon's Journal)

Nibun wrote:
Aedon Durreah wrote:

Aye, well said Aedon. There is nothing more comforting than the collective wisdom gathered in a library. I've often imagined that the few scholars among the dwarves must have their libraries hidden behind magically sealed stone walls in carefully constructed subterranean caverns, impervious to theft, as they'd be impossible to plunder without setting off deadly traps -- for what precautions must be in place by a peoples who consider the mere reading of their tongue by strangers a deadly insult which they must guard with their lives, if need be. A small uncomfortable stone stool is all you'd get to sit on while holding in your hand a rather heavy stone tablet with tiny runic inscriptions chiselled on both sides as you'd squint in the semi-darkness, the only light available being from the torchlight in the corridor leading to the library and perhaps from one or two small candles as well.

You have described a very comfortable setting for a dwarven library Nibun. I can well imagine that this is how one would appear deep within the halls of Durin's Folk.

Carysta

Awarded:

This was really good. Thank you for sharing it with us!
Lindorieh
Morfindiel
Officer

Awarded:

A fine read. Have you a blog, my good sir?

On Crickhollow - Morivanye- Rangers of Ithilien

On Anor: -Morfindiel, Laerlenn -Mythgard

On Ithil: Morfindiel - The Kin

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

I used to have one, I lost it. Well, misplaced it perhaps is more accurate. This is one of my older ones. Perhaps I should start a new one and gather all my tales in one spot.

https://walkinwinterwoods.wordpress.com/

Nibun
Officer

Awarded:

re: re: In The Library ( A Page From Aedon's Journal)

Aedon Durreah wrote:
I used to have one, I lost it. Well, misplaced it perhaps is more accurate. This is one of my older ones. Perhaps I should start a new one and gather all my tales in one spot.

https://walkinwinterwoods.wordpress.com/

Looks great, looking forward to reading it! Maybe you'll also get inspiration for some future RP arcs for Aedon placed in Middle-earth... Would be fun to have you with us when I start RP arcs after WS cool

"Hvat er þat Khazâd er í mínum sal verpumk orði á? Fundthradiru uzbadul Gwyneth-dûm!" 

Characters: Nibun, Baudhaegas, Albodr

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

It is not the inspiration I lack Nibun. After several strokes the creative side of me fell into retreat. Oh it emerges from time to time, and I find writing suddenly simple again. But that spurt is short lived and I once again find myself looking for words which once flowed like water.

Avangrod

I can feel Aedon's nostalgia for getting lost in the pages of a good book! I have a few hundred books for real, most of them hardcovers, but it would be nice to have a library room set aside just for that alone! With a recliner and a side table for a drink and a reading lamp, I bet I could spend hours in there... maybe put a desk in there too to do some writing.

I was thinking the other day of writing a story about the two Avans in middle earth, maybe including a few other peoples game characters in the story, but I would have to talk to them first to see how they would fit in... maybe start things in the first age of middle earth... so probably just elves at first, or someones ancestors.... Anyhow its just an idea for now until I find the time to sit down and do it.

Still I always look forward to reading more of Aedon's stories, inspires me to want to start writing my own again!!

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: