Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Ales and Tales
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Eilye
Field Marshal

re: Ales & Tales for Tamoro

For any who have not yet heard, recently the player behind the character of Tamoro passed away unexpectedly. In addition to being a wonderful guy and kinmate, Tamoro was also an integral part of carrying the Ales & Tales torch over the years through his participation in Old Winyards and frequent hosting of the event. We'd like to honor his memory by dedicating an upcoming Ales & Tales to him. The intent of this thread is to allow us to collaborate on the particulars. As the details start to take shape, I'll update this first post in the thread.

Venue: Quickfoot Estates: 8 Long Street, Fassnade, Bree Homesteads
I know that we have a pre-selected list of locations, but let's pick a location that is significant to Tamoro in some way. Tearna, do you have any thoughts or suggestions? One thought I had is Little Delving. It's pleasant and charming, and all Hobbits begin their journey into the wider world there, so there is a certain symmetry to acknowledging Tam's passing there. It's also close to Michel Delving, which I believe Tearna mentioned was significant because she first met Tam there (thus beginning a very special partnership!). Does anyone else have other thoughts or ideas?

Date: Monday, November 6, 2017
I'd really like to make every effort to include as many as possible of Tam's past bandmates - Byrcha, Lhinnthel, Amber, Sullen, etc. Could people please post or IM me Mondays that work, that don't work, etc.? I will reach out to some of the less active/seen folks via PM. But, please don't take this to mean that we are somehow trying to limit or predetermine who participates. We'd very much love to see any and all who wish to play with Winyards (or hand out ales and pipeweed, or say a few words, or anything!) do so!

Bandleading: Byrcha, Lhinnthel
It's just not going to feel quite right unless either Byrcha or Lhinn leads Winyards. It seems like it was always one of you two back in Tam's A&T heyday (or at least the parts of it that I was there for). But of course you've certainly earned the right to opt out, with everything the two of you do for the kinship. Let me know how you'd feel about doing it.

Old Winyardses
Byrcha (bandleader, opening set)
Lhinnthel (bandleader, closing set)
Tulenn
Aedon
Greyylene
Amberflower
Sullen
Carica
Sonca
Zarenwen
Freemark (2nd set)
Avangrod
Eilye

Suggested Musics
Keelhauled
Gimme Some Muffins
Woman
Hallelujah
Yakety Sax
This is typically bandleader's discretion, but please do chime in if you have an idea which seems fitting or somehow special to Tamoro. I'll admit that it is hard to keep myself from gravitating toward mournful/sad pieces, but in the spirit of following Tearna's suggestion that we make this a celebration, I do recall that Tam liked Yakety Sax (and Brandlaf has a nice arrangement of it in the LMB library).

Acts:
ANIMAL HOUSE
A tale from Tearna
Maybe a tale from Gori?

Would it be too presumptuous to ask Animal House to play in the featured spot? I can't imagine a more fitting tribute to Tam than Night and Wicked playing while Tearna sings. But I'm sure they are planning to recognize Tam in their own time, so maybe they wouldn't want to? Tearna, what do you think?

If I am missing any important subjects or considerations here, please say so! Thank you!

Last edited by Eilye on 2017/10/08 7:21 am; edited 11 times in total
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

I would love to see AH play at this tribute. Seems so fitting in that many of the newer members will mostly recall Tam singing backed by Animal House. Would love to see some of the favorite songs he sang featured of course. And yes, Byrcha or Lhinn leading are a must.

Tearna Quickfoot
Pink Officer

Little Delving sounds nice. And yes, we met at a Tuesday night concert in Michel Delving.

Other options:

* In Tam's background, he was a gentleman farmer from Oatbarton but that might not be as meaningful to most who didn't know him pretty well.
    * We have the Quickfoot Estates kinhouse in Fassnade and we always hosted an Ales n Tales around the Christmas holiday, so it might be fitting to do one last hurrah at the Estate?

But I am okay with whatever you all decide. :)

Yes, I think Animal House would like to come. I have most of Tam's lyrics so perhaps we can get various ones to sing them. I'll ask them about it when I see them later.

Other active games: ESO (Tearna, T'nar, Tealan, etc.)
Eilye
Field Marshal

I'd forgotten the Quickfoot Estates. That seems like a great place to have it.
Aegthil of Gondor

If someone would like to write a special verse for Tam, I can add it to my Ales and Tales theme song. Maybe even with a special Tamoro countermelody, or something. Then, every time it's sung at Ales and Tales we can remember him.

Aegthil's Fool

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

Aegthil, this is the version of Ales and Tales I sing. I changed the second verse to some lyrics to honor Tam. Suggestions?

Every Monday evening
Just as the sun sinks way down low,
Go find the Lonely Mountain Band,
Cause that's the place to go.
And old Winyards songs are playing
While the people dance about
As Ales and Tales starts up again
So come and check it out.

It's the greatest thing
(Ales & Tales!)
It makes you dance and sing
(Ales & Tales!)
Give it all you've got
(Ales & Tales!)
'Cause the music's hot
(Ales & Tales!)
Old Winyard's here
(Ales & Tales!)
So grab your beer
(Ales & Tales!)
And clap and cheer!

It's Ales & Tales!

After a long hard day of fightin'
You need some time for fun.
Just follow the sound of laughter
When all your work is done.
So go and get your groove on
And bring your axe
For Ales and Tales is where you'll find
Good Friends, Good Wine and Song

It's the greatest thing
(Ales & Tales!)
(Ales & Tales!)
Give it all you've got
(Ales & Tales!)
'Cause the music's hot
(Ales & Tales!)
Old Winyard's here
(Ales & Tales!)
So grab your beer
(Ales & Tales!)
And clap and cheer!

It's Ales & Tales!

Well it’s fun to share our music
And we play where e’re we can
From Rivendell to Oatbarton
The home of Farmer Tam
It will chase away your sorrow
Cause the little Burg is near
For when there’s music in our hearts
Tamoro is still here

It's the greatest thing
(Ales & Tales!)
(Ales & Tales!)
Give it all you've got
(Ales & Tales!)
'Cause the music's hot
(Ales & Tales!)
Old Winyard's here
(Ales & Tales!)
So grab your beer
(Ales & Tales!)
And dance and cheer!
It's Ales & Tales!

It's the greatest thing
(Ales & Tales!)
(Ales & Tales!)
Give it all you've got
(Ales & Tales!)
'Cause the music's hot
(Ales & Tales!)
Old Winyard's here
(Ales & Tales!)
So grab your beer
(Ales & Tales!)
And dance and cheer!

It's Ales & Tales!
It's Ales & Tales!
It's Ales & Tales!

It's Ales & Tales!
It's the greatest thing
(Ales & Tales!)
(Ales & Tales!)
Give it all you've got
(Ales & Tales!)
'Cause the music's hot
(Ales & Tales!)
Old Winyard's here
(Ales & Tales!)
So grab your beer
(Ales & Tales!)
And dance and cheer!
It's Ales & Tales!

It's the greatest thing
(Ales & Tales!)
(Ales & Tales!)
Give it all you've got
(Ales & Tales!)
'Cause the music's hot
(Ales & Tales!)
Old Winyard's here
(Ales & Tales!)
So grab your beer
(Ales & Tales!)
And dance and cheer!

It's Ales & Tales!
It's Ales & Tales!
It's Ales & Tales!

It's Ales & Tales!

Last edited by Aedon Durreah on 2017/09/30 5:40 pm; edited 3 times in total

Aegthil of Gondor

Thanks Aedon. I shall write in another flute part so that we'll always be able to hear Tamoro's voice.

What are the lyrics usually sung? I never actually kept a record of them, and I've never sung it myself. Ironically. If I can I'd rather add a Tamoro verse to the song, rather than replace an existing verse. Depending on what the existing verses are.

The Fool

Lhinnthel
Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

Aegthil of Gondor wrote:
Thanks Aedon. I shall write in another flute part so that we'll always be able to hear Tamoro's voice.

What are the lyrics usually sung? I never actually kept a record of them, and I've never sung it myself. Ironically. If I can I'd rather add a Tamoro verse to the song, rather than replace an existing verse. Depending on what the existing verses are.

The Fool

Here are the originals. Like Eilye posted in the other thread, I too have such fond memories of Tam singing them!! :

"Every Monday evening
Just as the sun sinks way down low,
Go find the Lonely Mountain Band,
Cause that's the place to go.

It's the greatest thing
(Ales and Tales!)
(Ales and Tales!)
Give it all you've got
(Ales and Tales!)
'Cause the music's hot
(Ales and Tales!)

Old Winyard's here
(Ales and Tales!)
So grab your beer
(Ales and Tales!)
And clap and cheer!
(Ales and Tales!)

It's Ales & Tales!

After a long hard day of fightin'
You need some time for fun
Just follow the sound of laughter
When all your work is done

So go and get your groove on
And take your sword along
For that's the place that you can find
Friends, wine and song!

It's the greatest thing
(Ales and Tales!)
(Ales and Tales!)
Give it all you've got
(Ales and Tales!)
'Cause the music's hot
(Ales and Tales!)

Old Winyard's here
(Ales and Tales!)
So grab your beer
(Ales and Tales!)
And dance and cheer!
(Ales and Tales!)

It's Ales & Tales!

It's the greatest thing
(Ales and Tales!)
(Ales and Tales!)
Give it all you've got
(Ales and Tales!)
'Cause the music's hot
(Ales and Tales!)
Old Winyard's here
(Ales and Tales!)
So grab your beer
(Ales and Tales!)
And dance and cheer!
(Ales and Tales!)

It's Ales & Tales!"

Last edited by Lhinnthel on 2017/09/30 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

An added verse would be great Aegthil. More flute? Will be nice to have Tams voice always in the song.

Aegthil of Gondor

OK, here's the Tamoro version of Ales and Tales.

- I added another verse, with a special Tamoro harmony line. In high flute, to imitate the piping sound of a hobbit's voice.
- I added one word "still" to the last line of Aedon's lyrics. This is to make it scan better, but feel free to take it away again, Aedon, if you want. They are your lyrics.
- I also changed "sword" to "axe". I know, I know, you've all be singing "sword" for years now. But the original lyrics said "axe", as that also is slang for a musician's instrument. So "bring your axe along" is something that one would often say to another musician who is coming along to listen, maybe to play. Somehow that seems to fit well with Ales and Tales.

abc file
mp3 file

Aegthil's Fool

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

Sounds great Aegthil!
Funny ting is, on my original notes I had the word "still" in the verse. I also like axe better in the one verse because of the double meaning, a weapon or an instrument. Redid my lyrics at the top just so I will have them handy.

Lhinnthel
Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

This is just wonderful!! thank you Aegthil and Aedon! This song means so much to many folks and now it shall be an even deeper meaning! I'v updated the lyrics on the ales and tales spreadsheet lyrics tab as well.

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

I too have fond memories of Tam singing the A&T lyrics; he helped restore them to their rightful place. An additional verse and amended music would be a grand tribute.

Inviting Animal House for a featured set would be wonderful. Perhaps we could hold the regular show slots for tributes, rather than random acts for this particular event (random acts could of course play during Nibbles & Nobs).

I too like the idea of holding this at Quickfoot Estates (we usually visit during yuletide, but shouldn't wait nearly that long). We can adjust our schedule depending on when we'd like to hold this.

Speaking of schedules, I have RL restrictions on the second- and fourth-Mondays of each month; I'm not home until 10:30-11:00. I'd be happy to contribute by co-bandleading and saying a few words.

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Tearna Quickfoot
Pink Officer

His sister has said that she'd like to attend. She has taken his PC and laptop home with her and has his log in info. She's on the west coast, but given how late Ales N Tales is, that shouldn't be a huge issue.

Other active games: ESO (Tearna, T'nar, Tealan, etc.)
Eilye
Field Marshal

So I think we have one of our questions definitively answered: Quickfoot Estates it is. I've updated the first post accordingly.

Byrcha, thanks for posting your availability. If anyone else is reading this and would like to play with WInyards, could you please post your intention to do so as well as your scheduling constraints? If we see everyone's availability we should be able to settle on our date.

Also thanks for agreeing to co-lead Winyards. I definitely think we're going to need both you and Lhinn to scratch the "classic Tamoro-era" itch. Perhaps you could take the opening set (thus providing the potential for reckless hwg'ing), and Lhinn could take the closer (the better to show off her rampant tardiness and utter lack of respect for end times)? :)

Tearna, I think it is lovely that Tam's sister will attend. Although it would be unsettling to have her attend as Tam, I think. Would she bring one of his alts? What do you think?

Would anyone object to my hosting? My feelings won't be hurt if you'd prefer someone else, but I'd like to do so. I will keep the character of Eilye in the closet that evening - her player will be in control for once. (at least in /say - I make no promises about /ra)
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Ales and Tales All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: