Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Ales and Tales
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

re: Ales & Tales 2017 -- should we change the time?

Since folks have been having various issues with the lateness of 'Ales & Tales' on Mondays (which typically ends somewhat later even than the Old Winyards Winterstock finale did), I'll ask: Shall we move 'Ales & Tales' forward slightly? I'd suggest starting 'Nibbles & Nobs' (i.e. open stage) at 8:00 pm EST /servertime, and starting the main show at 9:00 pm. That way we could end around 11:00-sharp (maybe earlier). So, a half-hour earlier in general.

Lest you think that it is only others who feel this way, I too would likely benefit from ending earlier (though the weeks when I have RL conflicts might prohibit me from arriving for the dance set if we shift it). Also, for you not so olde timey folks out there, 'Ales & Tales' used to start/run even later than it does now! (We also had to trudge uphill in a blizzard, IIRC.)

What say you? Move A&T a half-hour earlier, or keep it as is?

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Hannariel/Brioney

Awarded:

I can reorganize my time and make sure I have supper ready earlier. I'm sure my husband will understand. Being on the west coast I have an advantage over those on the east coast.

bandleader
Eilye
Field Marshal

I love that your approach to this problem is moving the start, as opposed to finishing on time. eye roll (/hug Lhinn)

I know I'm not exactly a regular fixture anymore, but my two cents is that I'm probably in favor. 9:00 is still late enough to work for me as a start time, and although I vastly overstate my objections to running late, a little more sleep never hurts! But, if the current timing works better for most people, I can roll with that too.

Thanks for looking at ways to make things better for us all.

E
Kyrian
Kyrian Starwalker
Officer

Awarded:

8:00 would be 5:00 on the west coast. That would probably make it difficult for many there.
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

With my obligations in other areas, any switch in the time line of A&T might make it hard for me to make the shows. For instance, this Monday I have a governors meeting in Ultima Online. This happens only once a month, and we try to keep our meetings short. But a couple of times I have found myself eating on the fly and rushing to make A&T after.

Amberflower
Officer

Awarded:

I could go either way. There are times it's hard to keep our eyes open by the time it ends...but there are also days where we are scrabbling to get fed and ready for the next day before start time too. So I guess I'm in the wishy washy whatever category...

Alt kin: Virtus Tentamine Gaudet - Packzii, Amberflora, Idrynna, Tartlett

"Indeed in nothing is the power of the Dark Lord more clearly shown than in the estrangement that divides all those who still oppose him."

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places;
but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief,
it grows perhaps the greater."

"...together they (Aragorn and Arwen) went up into the High City, and all the stars flowered in the sky."
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

Thanks for the responses. Let's wait and see, at least for the next couple shows (we'd want to announce it before we actually change it).

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

So true.

Tulenn
Cat Herding Officer

Awarded:

I am going to try very hard not to go over time tonight (since I know I have been affectionately referred to as "tardy Tulenn".....with good reason! lol.....)

So, PLEASE feel free to draw to my attention to the TIME if it appears it is getting late. Sometimes I am wrestling so many windows and/or having so much fun that I don't even notice the time..... So, don't be afraid to say something...... I am happy for all the help I can get!

Also, if we have a case of like a couple weeks ago where we began the Dance Set at like 10:45pm..... I guess I will just cut us down to 15 minutes? The other option being that we could limit acts to a certain time frame and when it's full it's full? Which would be preferable? Or do we want to decide that on a week to week basis rather than having a set rule? I think that's part of what makes it hard.....because sometimes we may go for weeks with hardly any acts so when we have them we really want to encourage their playing. It's a bit of a difficult balance......the struggle is real!

Alt Kins:
Silvermoon Manor: alts-Sugarbell, Halliwyn, Callabeth, Jesstan, Orinhir, Audli, Candriell, Grif             
Silvermoon Vintners: alts-Darcyil, Jilanna, Esdell             
The Ravenhill Rovers: alts-Bekk, Draim, Nathrec

On Crickhollow: Tulenn & Cloverly (Old Winyards Kinship)
Nibun
Officer

Awarded:

Tulenn wrote:

I think that's part of what makes it hard.....because sometimes we may go for weeks with hardly any acts so when we have them we really want to encourage their playing. It's a bit of a difficult balance......the struggle is real!

I agree with Tulenn that we must not discourage acts and music, sometimes at the spur of the moment. Ales & Tales traditionally is an offer from LMB to the community. From mentoring to listening to OW and from Tinki offers to the open mic and random acts, the focus is on the guests, we're just the 'backbone'.

So I guess we can try to finish earlier (say by 11) when there's few or no acts, and otherwise let it be... And if one or two people need to leave earlier, we can always bring some extra alts in to take over for the last half hour or so.

"Hvat er þat Khazâd er í mínum sal verpumk orði á? Fundthradiru uzbadul Gwyneth-dûm!" 

Characters: Nibun, Baudhaegas, Albodr

Lhinnthel
Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

Yes, we must encourage acts as much as possible - especially since they can be so far and few between. When we have a Monday that has an overabundance -- I generally accept them all so as not to discourage anyone from signing up! Over the years, our OW portions have grown a bit longer (we do so love to entertain!) but we can always cut a song or two from our dance sets, if we are going to run into extreme overtime!

As to changing the start time of Ales & Tales -- I do lean towards no. It's already quite early for folks on the West coast and is actually at a good time for many East coasters (a big thank you to those of you not in the U.S. who stay up until 5am or later/earlier to rock with us!) As long as we don't go past 11:30, I think we end at a reasonable time. We usually end around 11:15(ish) Eastern time.... *cough*

Anyway, I am happy to go along with either option!

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Byrcha
LEADER

Awarded:

Let's keep it as-is for now (8:30-9:30 for open stage, 9:30-11:00ish for main show with 11:30 the latest we would go). The acts can vary greatly week by week so we will have to remain flexible anyway. Ending early enough to frolic in a nearby water-feature is also nice. :P

Aldekim
Officer

Byrcha wrote:
Let's keep it as-is for now (8:30-9:30 for open stage, 9:30-11:00ish for main show with 11:30 the latest we would go). The acts can vary greatly week by week so we will have to remain flexible anyway. Ending early enough to frolic in a nearby water-feature is also nice. :P

Agreed.

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Ales and Tales All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: