Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Windy Acres Riding Club
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2
Caiyyd

Awarded:

re: Windy Acres 2015 Events -- Need Your Feedback

I didn't realize the turn out was so low last year. With my mother's illness and death I missed most of the spring events and was unable to attend any of the races.

I can make posters and host and as I said I can donate gold and nicer items for prizes if that will help. I was thinking the races I designed would be warsteed ones since they take a bit more of a challenge, but could also do a regular steed race or two - just not sure how that works with the new riding traits.

What would be adequate prizes to get people interested? Speak up, folks and let me know if this is work working on :)
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Everybody loves Turbine Points best of all. If anyone out there has a Walmart, Target, or other store who still sells the point code cards, please let me know. Hopefully we can work something out.

Folks love gold. Of course, gold prizes have to increase each year if they're going to keep up with inflation. We gave prizes of 300 to 500 gold for first prize (plus second and third prizes) in the past. Naturally, when this dropped to a lesser amount last year, there was a bit of disappointment. Remember, the prize isn't so much to draw contestants, although naturally it has that affect. It is really to draw the audience. Nobody would watch a TV game show if the top prize was $200or $2,000, but make it $200,000 and people tune in, even though they personally have no chance of winning.

Rare pets do attract people, along with rare crafting materials. However, people usually prefer things that work for them regardless of their class, level, or play style. Offering crafting materials tends to attract more PVP players, while offering pets brings in the collectors and roleplayers.

Titles and rare cloaks attract people, but those have to come from Turbine.

Awarded:

I think the qualifying races themselves, spread out as they usually are over a couple weeks, serve to lead up to the main event.

I personally really enjoyed the barrel-racing event, and I think the crowd did too. Any chance of that being part of the carnival? (Or was it that way last year, and I just don't remember?)

Officer

Awarded:

Here's another question that has me pondering...

Should the Spring Racing Carnival be one giant day of events...
Three days (Fri-Sun) full of events...
A week-long carnival of events?

I'd love to find enough hosts and bands to have:
* A barrel race, hopefully with another rodeo clown comedy show. Last year's was brilliant!
* An equestrian-themed name-that-song contest.
* A mounted fashion contest.
* Four qualifier races? That would give us 12 final race contestants (plus alternates). Perhaps six?

The qualifier races would be much more interesting, I think, if the race was in the middle of an hour-long band performance. Perhaps a different band could play for each race. That way, it's a sort of equestrian race and concert series.

I'd also love to have a formation riding team demonstration, but there's really not enough time between now and April to put anything fancy together. Perhaps something on standard steeds could be done, because those require less practice. What do you think?

We had a rare breeds parade in previous years, but I'm not sure how popular that was. The only really rare horses anymore are the store exclusive steeds. Would you include this?

Where should it be held? It would be much easier to host the event at the Hobnanigans fields, because that's best for barrel racing and formation riding. It's also better for horse racing, because Bree has some nasty spots where people get stuck. However, we'd need some sort of shuttle system (as with Weatherstock) to get people from Bree to the event quickly.

What could we do to increase the turn-out?

Is anyone willing to...
* Wrangle/sign up bands?
* Create posters?
* Help with in-game advertising?
* Foster interest through the various blogs and internet radio stations?
* Twitter-stream the events?
* Host a qualifier race?
* Act as a race bookie?

What can be done to make the SRC more appealing to Banders?

Awarded:

I definitely like the idea of race+concert series! I think that will draw more people in than just the race alone.

I'm not sure a rare mount parade is the way to go. More audience participation is more likely to get people interested. The fashion show is good for that, since anyone can sign up for it. Schedule permitting, I'd be willing to host a mounted fashion show (with advice from experienced hosts!).

I'd also be willing to host a qualifier race, again schedule permitting. I'd be willing to judge any qualifiers that I'm not in, that I'm available for, as well. (The farther in advance I know the time, the more likely I'll be able to reserve a day - though April is generally pretty open for me.) I would like at least one qualifier that I can attend as a racer, too! Although if I don't qualify, I can help judge the big race...hmm, tough choice.

I can't speak to formation riding because I can never make practice for it, so I don't know what goes on behind-the-scenes there. From an audience perspective, though, I do love to watch them, especially with coordinating music.

Happy to join bands rather than just attend, anytime I'm not busy, but I'd rather not organize one myself.

Carnival days:
I'd prefer more than one day, to catch people that may not be able to make it that one day. A week might be too long, aside from the qualifiers, unless we come up with more event ideas. What say qualifiers over a couple weeks (on different days and at different times, if possible), then the third week(end) have the main events? Barrel racing/comedy/music and perhaps formation riding one day, and the big race/concert and mounted fashion contest the second day? I note that the Saturday following April 15th is the 18th, and therefore propose the 18-19. U.S. folks at least will be extra ready to party after tax day. :)

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: