Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamoro
Officer

Awarded:

re: Civilization: Beyond Earth

I've been reading up on this, and checking out some of the Youtube vids. I'm a little intrigued about this, but haven't played a Civ game since Civ 3. Many of the reviewers are saying it's basically the same as Civ 5 (the most recent game) while others are saying it's different enough from the previous games to be worth playing (that it's kind of a mix between Civ 5 and Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri). Since it's been quite a while since I played any of the Civ games, I'm wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Officer

I can't speak regarding Alpha Centari since I've never played that game, but so far Beyond Earth does have similar aspects to Civ 5 but has enough differences (so far that I've seen) to not just be considered a Civ5 clone. I am enjoying Beyond Earth so far, although I'm still in the figuring things out stage =)

That being said, if you enjoy the Civ game style and don't have Civ5, I would start with that. You should be able to find it heavily discounted now and it comes with a wealth of options for game play styles. The Gods and Kings expansion pack is a nice addition too.

Hope this helps,

Awarded:

Oh, if only this was "Civ IV+ in Space" and not Civ5 ...

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Darkflame710

If anyone wants to attempt a kinship game of this, I will try to make time in my schedule. The games can go faster than Civ V, but it still takes a fair bit of time investment.
Carica
Carica Zoi
Chicken Officer

Awarded:

I've played it for a bit. It is like Civ V meets Alpha Centauri, though I agree with Byrcha I wish it was more of Civ IV than V.
The new affinity upgrade and trade system they have is rather interesting, but it lacks any sort of animated cutscenes for wonder/affinity tech completion and I must say the world leader's personalities and faction were more charismatic in Alpha Centauri than Beyond Earth. I loved Alpha Centauri and I really liked how it had an ongoing storyline depending on your interaction with the indigenous life on the planet, but you don't have any of those in Beyond Earth, just winning the game... They have all the settings and choices and quests where you have to choose certain direction and such, but it feels rather tacked on rather than immersive, so I'd give it a 3.9/5.
Maybe they'll have improvements in DLC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Other Worlds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: