Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Ales and Tales
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aldekim
Officer

re: New format porposal

I have been thinking. yes, I know that is dangerous, but I do it now and then any way. It strikes me we have two situations that can both be addressed with a single initiative.

1. It gets pretty tough some weeks putting together a group for Old Winyards.
2. There has been some drama recently attached to the issue of new bands finding times and places to perform.

So I have attended a few les Beaux Chapeaux shows recently. Tromblon has gone to some great lengths to find guest artists to perform with LBC each week. The result has been a showcase for mew bands performing as an integral part of the LBC shows.

So my suggestion, for your consideration, is that we begin a program of inviting new bands (Or old bands that are having trouble finding performance times and venues) to be "featured bands" at Ales & Tales. If we line them up a week in advance we can do a bit of advertising for their upcoming performance (I would spearhead the advertising). Weeks when we get a good body count for Old Winyards they can start the show and then the "featured band" could pl;ay a set during the show like Toeknockers did this past week. I envision the "featured band" opening the show with a 20 - 30 minute set when we have trouble getting enough folks for Old Winyards.. Additional details can be worked out by concerned parties if this idea finds any support among us.

The key difference from what we already do would be actively recruiting bands for the "featured band" designation.

So, what do you think?

Working together we all benefit ~ Aldekim, Brambel - Lonely Mountain Band ~ Doribolger - Harp and Dragon (LMB alt kin) ~ Athilrond, Ahtook, Nellan, Elye, Sylduril, Nitnoy, Elduryl, Dironen - Clan Etal ~ Kaesy - Lonely Mountain Treasures (Byrdie alt kin)
Lilikate

Thumbs up from me! I think it is a wonderful idea.

Awarded:

I think advertising for and inviting/encouraging non-kin bands to participate at Ales & Tales is a great idea. It seems to have worked pretty well on its own, spontaneously, so far, starting before the most recent Weatherstock -- anyone actually looking for an audience inevitably finds themselves at Ales & Tales. The Andune Ensemble is also setting up some doubleheader concerts. And Animal House has taken the slot directly ahead of BBB, to capitalize on that audience/timeslot/location.

But this doesn't really address the issue of not having enough musicians for Old Winyards (or Andune, or even BBB). I play with all three and the issue has been much the same for many many months: folks collectively can be late to commit and/or late to arrive; some weeks there are a bunch of folks, other weeks not so much. Folks are busy with real-life, other games, both, or something else. My situation is comparable, since I have had schedule conflicts for OW lately as well as AE intermittently. Not sure what to do about it, other than to find/encourage more in-kin musicians.

Which reminds me (a week late of course): maybe we should do some instrument mentoring at our kin meetings? Or organize the distribution of mentoring scrolls?

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

Lhinnthel
Lhinnthel
High Officer

Awarded:

Inviting bands ahead of time is a wonderful idea! It was so much fun to have the Toeknockers (oops, I thought they were called Toe Jams! *runs off to edit the name on Ales & Tales' facebook page*) come and perform last week, I wish they could have played a longer set actually! The band leader, Fionah, overcame some nasty lag and multiboxing to perform for us and everyone really loved it so we were so glad that Craicwyth and Flyt suggested to ask them to play!

It certainly can be distressing not knowing how many performers will show up to play with Old Winyards (or any band for that matter), especially when trying to make a playlist (I get it Byrcha, I get it!). I have thought of suggesting that folks sign up ahead of time to play but we are all so busy with RL that it's easy to understand why we often don't know until last minute if we can make it, or not.

We have had quite a few new-to-A&T people step up and tell tales and poems recently which has been really nice but we still often lack for other performers to fill in. Anyway, my point is -- as long as we leave a bit of room for those who want to share a tale or song, then oh yes let's invite some bands to be featured!

edited to add: I also would say that perhaps with the longer continuous sets of music that having a featured band would provide, we could maybe have group dances make a comeback? They are a lot fun -- just a thought.

Other games :: GW2 (Fayarra.4827) :: ESO (Fayarra26)
"...the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing:
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lilikate

I would love to be able to commit in advance to play in bands but the best I have managed to do is try and get to AE as often as possible. It does entail kicking my partner off his computer when he is working or playing his MMO.
A&T and BBB I would join more often but it just is not possible to commit to anything more than "I'll jump in with half hour warning if I happen to be up".

I still have WONDERLILI prepared with her uniform btw!

Looking forward to tonight...

I, Tamreth, am new to LMB, and have modest musical talent limited for now to clarinet, cowbell and harp. I would like to participate in musical events as a band member, but will need some coaching in group play. One of my siblings, Tamraen, is a minstrel who is more musically inclined. She is in the queue to move to Landroval, but will assume need to a different name since hers is already claimed by someone else in her home to be.

Tamreth

[This by way of saying, I'd like to try my hand at playing music, and so far have been free most Monday evenings. I do have an elderly mother who lives in a different state so I travel regularly for short visits or to step in as caregiver when my brother's family needs or wants to travel.]
Aedon Durreah

Awarded:

Sounds like a great idea to me. And it will give us all a chance to hear emerging bands.

As for the numbers needed to play in the LMB bands, I would love to be a part of the music performances, unfortunately. I cannot seem to get my song book synced to play with any groups. I keep trying, and failing unfortunately.
Keli
Keli
Officer

Awarded:

Aedon Durreah wrote:
Sounds like a great idea to me. And it will give us all a chance to hear emerging bands.

As for the numbers needed to play in the LMB bands, I would love to be a part of the music performances, unfortunately. I cannot seem to get my song book synced to play with any groups. I keep trying, and failing unfortunately.

I will help you out when I catch you out in game

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Ales and Tales All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: