Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2
Anthemisa
Anthemisa
Officer

Awarded:

re: I love used book stores

As a student, I love libraries and my school has nice collection of Tolkien Books, I borrowed them to read.

This year before the movie, I decided to have my very own The Hobbit book. It's just a beginning!

Forum Image

This is also my first time to read without translation, I used dictionary a lot, but I can say that original is much better! =D

The copy I own, doesn't have nice drawings, but it has a little map of wilderness! (right click to see larger)

Forum Image

Caiyyd your Tolkien shelf looks adorable! I plan to make myself a Tolkien collection too.

re: The Hobbit that was posted first

Here is a link to purchase the first Hobbit that was posted in this thread...for under $20. I am sure you can find it cheaper, but it has the illustrator and publisher on it:

http://www.booksrockcafe.com/book.php?ISBN=9780618162215

Aalloria Borealis
Caiyyd

Awarded:

I actually had to move some of my Lego characters out of the way to get the pic of the shelf LOL
My goal is to get all of the books preferably in hardcover. I have them electronically but the Professor's words just demand a printed page!
Bertrus Broadleaf

I will be one of the last holdouts for printed books. My brother (worker at Barnes and Noble) and I go toe-to-toe all the time over e-books vs printed.
Cennwyn
Cennwyn

Awarded:

sterling191 wrote:
Cenn beat me to it. Children of Hurin takes the stories surrounding Hurin and his descendants from Unfinished Tales and fleshes them out quite a bit. Granted it's been decades since I read Sil, but I think it's more than just a unification of the two narrative fragments.

The Silmarillion's version is mostly a summary written by Christopher Tolkien (parts of it, however, are in J.R.R.'s own words). Unfinished Tales is all J.R.R. Tolkien's words, but excludes the material already present in the Sil. Children of Hurin is all the available material written by Tolkien, so you don't have to flip between two books and an appendix.

Alts include: Tinaith the Elven Huntress, Dereborn the Loremaster of Gondor.
Runesdaeg

Awarded:

Children of Hurin is a great read, and it's actually a novel. If you liked Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit but aren't too fond of the Silmarillion and the Lays of Beleriand and other stuff that reads like scholarly history texts, Children of Hurin is the next thing you want to pick up.

And if you love the scholarly text stuff, Children of Hurin is a brilliant narrative treatment of a story you'll already know :)

Awarded:

Used book stores are my very favourite places ever. There are two right near where I live.
One is a small store packed with disorderly books in heaps, stacks, shelves, heaps and stacks on top of shelves, etc. No interior walls, just a rectangular room with more books than air; what used to be a front counter is a cash register nestled amidst a heap of books, and the lady who runs the place prices things when you ask her how much they cost.
The other one is a reasonably organised rabbit-warren. Three or four contiguous rooms (depends on if you count a hallway lined with books on philosophy and religion as a room), with books crammed into shelves sorted by subject. The man who runs this one is always behind the front desk meticulously pricing a heap of books. He makes change out of his pocket, and I don't think the cash register is used for anything but a calculator.

Needless two say, these are two of my three favourite places in town (the third being the three-story university library).

Runesdaeg, sounds similar to me. I have 4 used bookstores within a 15 miles radius. Each one is very different and unique, I love it. We had a 5th, but sadly the lady decided to close it down and moved out west for college (can't really fault her for that) but my friend and I would go in there quite often, sit on the couches and just talk books with the owner for hours.
Kiralynn
Kiralynn of Rohan
Officer

Awarded:

Sadly, I have no used bookstores... in fact no bookstores at all, within a 45 minute drive. We had one that sold mostly bibles and vampire romance novels (go figure!) but it was so poorly run that it went out of business in under a year.

Awarded:

We have a couple, but my favorite is actually a wine and dessert bar that operates within a used bookstore; the place is a maze (two stories, cramped aisles, lots of hidden couch nooks). The selection is also really odd with a lot of huge old gilt tomes.

Alts include: Tinaith the Elven Huntress, Dereborn the Loremaster of Gondor.
Andeon
Officer

Cennwyn wrote:
Couldn't resist--husband got me this for Christmas:

Forum Image
image by Cennwyn, on Flickr

heh - that's the one I've picked up and am using for book club right now! It's really quite handy...

I am about to embark on gathering all my Tolkien books, trinkets, maps, posters and whatnots and set them upon a custom shelf. I have the Children of Hurin, and just recently started a 2nd reading of it. Once I get this shelf together, I plan on hitting up a couple of used book stores in my area. I'm missing 2 of the 12-volume histories that I want to get. Right now I only have cheap, later versions of everything but one book in particular that I find invaluable is Karen Wynn Fonstads Atlas of Middle Earth...I love love love mapping my way thru all books, not just Tolkiens :)

I'll post pics once I get this set up. I've been quite excited about this project for a while and have only been awaiting my tax refund.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: