Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Second Breakfast
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rifflo
Rifflo

Awarded:

re: Real Life - Middle Earth cooking

Found this article about an upcoming Hobbit cookbook:

http://www.ifc.com/fix/2011/12/in-the-kitchen-with-bilbo-baggins-hobbit-cookbook

and this:

http://eater.com/archives/2011/12/06/lord-of-the-rings-scholar-to-write-hobbit-cookbook.php

Sounds interesting. I did find several sites with recipes, etc inspired by Tokien.

http://www.tolkiensociety.org/ed/recipes.html

http://lotrscrapbook.bookloaf.net/other/recipes.html

Hmm...perhaps I shall venture into making pies in real life?

Star Wars Reporter
Seynt

I agree. Perhaps there should be a cook off of sorts? The tastiest looking dish wins?
CGriffin
Officer

Seynt wrote:
The tastiest looking dish wins?

I do believe you have missed the point of food... :)

Cennwyn
Cennwyn

Awarded:

I'm actually working on a recipe for real-life lembas--in other words, not attempting to duplicate (just) the look, but the actual nutritional value.

I shall post the recipe when I have it just right :)

Alts include: Tinaith the Elven Huntress, Dereborn the Loremaster of Gondor.
Rifflo
Rifflo

Awarded:

Cennwyn wrote:
I'm actually working on a recipe for real-life lembas--in other words, not attempting to duplicate (just) the look, but the actual nutritional value.

I shall post the recipe when I have it just right :)

That sounds amazing! Can't wait to see the recipe!

Star Wars Reporter
Seynt

CGriffin wrote:
Seynt wrote:
The tastiest looking dish wins?

I do believe you have missed the point of food... :)

Unless you have invented a way to e-mail food I do believe that there is no way to have a single panel of judges taste the dishes, so appearances will have to do. But don't worry, anything that ends up being made will not go to waste, I'm sure.
Isilwren

Especially if it is an accurate representation of Lembas. How many Lemabs loaves did you eat again, Cam??

Awarded:

Check out Cassy's Cookbook over at CSTM.
She makes the food from LotRO cook's crafting menu like beef stew, blueberry pie, and honey-roasted chicken!

Cennwyn wrote:

You mean, just a bite will be enough to fill a grown man? Does that have the same nutritional value as a deep-fried twinkie wrapped in bacon? XD

Cennwyn

Awarded:

Carica Berrywine wrote:

Cennwyn wrote:

You mean, just a bite will be enough to fill a grown man? Does that have the same nutritional value as a deep-fried twinkie wrapped in bacon? XD

Well...yeah! :)

The idea was something that genuinely had as complete a nutritional profile as I could cram (hah) in there. Obviously I'd include quinoa flour (this is one of the only grains that contains a complete amino acid profile). For color, amaranth would work, BUT amaranth has a strong, grassy taste. I'd probably try to balance this out by using honey.

In addition, you'd want to use the sprouted version of both flours, as this would provide additional nutrient content. For another high-protein punch, you'd probably want to include barley flour (which was one of the dominant baking grains before wheat made its debut). I'd also throw in, for color and yet more protein, the yolks of two hard-boiled eggs (this will also help lighten the texture, as barley is kind of a dense flour).

Liquid is, of course, the problem. Anything with dairy in it is bound to spoil faster; but water adds no real flavor. Honey will help the preservation process, as will salt, so in the interest of tastiness I'm thinking I'd go with cream for the liquid.

The flours above are all low to no gluten as well; this means that the lembas will remain flat and not have too much of a rise during baking (which is just what you want).

Andeon
Officer

this may be a ridiculous endeavor, but the truth is, I'm interested in it - seriously

I have the hardest time at work finding food to keep me full - between commute, and lunch, I'm at work nearly 11 hours, and my stupid STOMACH!!! (glares at stomach) insists on being fed every 3-4 hours, or it starts messing with me (I'm one of those folks that eats and eats and gains no weight - fast metabolism is what we usually blame it on)

and trust me, while it's generally fun not to gain weight no matter how much we eat, the downside is that we find ourselves almost constantly hungry - if you have a high-nutrient packed food that could keep me full for any significant length of time, that I could carry around and much on every couple of hours, that would be *FANTASTIC* - you ever manage to get this recipe working, I'm interested

Awarded:

Andeon wrote:
(I'm one of those folks that eats and eats and gains no weight - fast metabolism is what we usually blame it on)

*tantrum*

I need lembas to loose weight! *blinks* yes, I'm on a diet!

RannaDylin
High Officer

Awarded:

Andeon wrote:
this may be a ridiculous endeavor, but the truth is, I'm interested in it - seriously

I have the hardest time at work finding food to keep me full - between commute, and lunch, I'm at work nearly 11 hours, and my stupid STOMACH!!! (glares at stomach) insists on being fed every 3-4 hours, or it starts messing with me (I'm one of those folks that eats and eats and gains no weight - fast metabolism is what we usually blame it on)

and trust me, while it's generally fun not to gain weight no matter how much we eat, the downside is that we find ourselves almost constantly hungry - if you have a high-nutrient packed food that could keep me full for any significant length of time, that I could carry around and much on every couple of hours, that would be *FANTASTIC* - you ever manage to get this recipe working, I'm interested

I can tell you from my adventures in learning to live with diabetes that the combination you want is fiber+protein. The fiber makes you feel fuller, the protein makes it last longer. Examples:

-Oatmeal (for fiber) topped with nuts (for protein)
-Apple/Pear (for fiber) topped with nut butter (for protein)
-Veggies (for fiber; cauliflower is my favorite fiberful veg!) topped with cheese (for protein)
-Crackers (fiber) with cheese (protein)

In my personal experience, the foods I've found most filling (and lastingly so) are the fiber from veggies (especially cauliflower and cabbage) and the protein from cheese (which also contributes a lot of fat, but with your metabolism you probably have no worries there. My dad's one of those high metabolism folks too. Drives Mom nuts. :-) )

More tips:
http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/food-to-eat/nutrition/snack-savvy-14-diabetic-snack-ideas/?page=2

do triscuits count? I eat tons of those...that's mostly fiber...and salt...mmmmmmm....tasty salt.

Easy Cheese (aerosol cheese) isn't the same as cheese, really, is it?

:)

strangely, I also used to bring boxes of quaker granola cereal to work - but I ate it so fast, and it was so expensive, I had to give it up

High Officer

Awarded:

Add some protein (cheese? lunchmeat?) to those triscuits and you're set. :-)

Awarded:

Andeon wrote:

Replacing the barley with oat-flour would be a good idea, I think, because (as others have pointed out), fiber IS more filling.

I'm going to try this out this weekend to see how it comes out, and if it's any good, I will let you know! Will also set aside one cake to sit on the counter, see how long it lasts before it goes stale (because I have an inquiring mind).

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Second Breakfast All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: