Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> Sunday Night Sieges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andeon
Officer

re: Sunday Night Siege Forum Badges

As many of you may have already noticed, the Lonely Mountain Band offers several forum "badges" - titles that can be applied to your forum avatar - that distinguish your contributions/service/recognition amongst several features and/or events of the Lonely Mountain Band

when the badges system was first instituted, I wasn't particularly interested in them myself - I don't usually have a lot of interest in outside recognition beyond a certain healthy appreciation, and find that it can sometimes lead to dangerously inflated egos, so I tend to avoid it on principle

**EDIT - I included a clip from "Blazing Saddles" regarding the need for badges...but suddenly remembering some of the *other* content in "Blazing Saddles", decided it was best to remove the youtube link - if you want to experience the clip as intended, just google "blazing saddles we don't need"; the first or second link should do fine**

but, as usual, the members of the Lonely Mountain Band have once again proven my faith in their good natures, and the badges system doesn't seem to have inflated any egos or caused any of the unlikely, but nevertheless possible, disruptions that I was worried about

and it recently occured to me that those people that have participated in Sunday Night Siege and found it to be useful and/or rewarding, might want to carry a similar badge, on the off chance that it might encourage others to join us when possible, and help "spread the word" as it were, of what I hope is a fun, educational and useful experience for just about everyone

as such, I'm considering instituting a(n) SNS Veteran's badge, or something along those lines, for those that might want to add to their avatar the distinction of being a regular participant/supporter of SNS

again, I don't see it as being a particularly *necessary* badge, so if people aren't interested, I won't worry about it - but if there are a sufficient number of folks that believe it might be even modestly useful, I'm willing to craft it

the only question I have left is, if I *were* to institute such a badge, I'm thinking of tying it to how many times one has participated in a(n) SNS - the number that popped into my head was 5 - so, if you have attended 5 or more Sunday Night Sieges (or any organized grouping event that happens to happen on a sunday, as far as I'm concerned - it doesn't have to be with me particularly, just "in the spirit" of SNS) you can qualify for a(n) SNS Veteran's badge

but, 5 may be too many to expect of people, or perhaps too few? I dunno - so, if there are folks that care one way or the other, feel free to post here...

1 - What should we name it - Sunday Night Siege Veteran? SNS Vet? something else?
2 - How many SNS should you attend to qualify - 1? 2? 5? 10?
3 - should every time you fall in the green death water in CD count as an extra SNS? twisted
4 - should we bother with it at all? would it make some people feel left out? would it feel like a kind of punishment to people that can't play on sundays? etc...

those are my prevailing questions regarding the subject - anyone that has an interest in the subject either way, feel free to post here your own opinions.

Officer

Awarded:

re: Re: Sunday Night Siege Forum Badges

Andeon wrote:
I don't usually have a lot of interest in outside recognition beyond a certain healthy appreciation, and find that it can sometimes lead to dangerously inflated egos, so I tend to avoid it on principle

If somebody complains that they don't have a badge, we'll just create a "I Am Awesome!" badge and award it to the people who care. 8)

Andeon wrote:

1 - What should we name it - Sunday Night Siege Veteran? SNS Vet? something else?
2 - How many SNS should you attend to qualify - 1? 2? 5? 10?
3 - should every time you fall in the green death water in CD count as an extra SNS? twisted
4 - should we bother with it at all? would it make some people feel left out? would it feel like a kind of punishment to people that can't play on Sundays?

1) Well, let's see...
* Sunday Night Skirmishers
* Sunday Night Slayers
* Weekend Carnage Crusade (oh wait, that doesn't use the right initials)

2) That's entirely up to you. The higher the number, the more "serious" the badge. Personally, I give the Windy Acres flag to anybody who raced, rode in a parade, participated in a show, volunteered as a judge, or just generally rode a horse in my vicinity.

3) I don't know what CD is, nor have I seen any green death water. But... sure. In fact, that probably deserves its own badge! Here, I'll draw one for you:

Forum Image

4) How about this - anyone who shows up at SNS gets a badge. Anybody who wants an SNS badge promises to attend SNS some day, and they get a badge. They attend in spirit. I'd hate for some people to miss out on having fun because of the fear that somebody else might get upset.

Or we'll give them this badge...

Forum Image

In fact, anybody who wants to have the Grumpy Ogre award, you have my permission to wear it with pride! (I was the first!)

For Kiralynn (and everyone who hasn't been in Carn Dum or Urugarth yet) Carn Dum (CD) and Urugarth(Uru) are 2 instances in Angmar, and probably 2 of the most well known - they are also both notorious for the Green Death Water, also known as the Green Kool-Aid - stepping foot in the green death water is insta death, and as it is all over CD, it has become something of a Sunday Night Siege Carn Dum tradition, to have at LEAST one person fall in the green death water no matter how many warnings we give, no matter how strongly we stress it - some people go in two or three times, and a couple have jumped in just to maintain the integrity of the tradition!

by the way, anyone with res deeds (captains especially, and I think I heard that Loremasters have one as well?) - if you're behind on your res deed, volunteer to go on CD runs! When we first began Sunday Night Siege, Carn Dum was our first and most often location (this was shortly after Moria released, IIRC), and I was at about 45 reses out of 100 for my deed - 2 months later, I was finished! and I'd owe at least half that to running Carn Dum! ah, the green death water back then was a captain's best friend...

anyway, back to topic - thanks for the input Kira - I love the slime, not quite as fond of the grumpy ogre - I'll have to think up some alternates of my own

Officer

Awarded:

Andeon wrote:
thanks for the input Kira - I love the slime, not quite as fond of the grumpy ogre - I'll have to think up some alternates of my own

But... he's so cute!

Awarded:

OOH! I get *two* Green Death Water badges (from one run)! That's a good thing, right??

• main: Byrcha (pronounced: BUR-ka), Hobbit treasure-hunter

• Landroval alts: Braxwald, Brenthiel, & Hathellaith (LMB); Belyndil (Ales and Tales); Yahr (Lonely Mountain Brewery); Byrkhild, Byrchette, & Byrchetta (Secret Pie Vault); Byrwing (Sisters of the Moon); Byraen; Byrwen (Ithil refugee).

`Tinki`
Officer

Ahh, the night i fell in the green water three rapidly consecutive times......such memories. How about 5 SUCCESSFUL SNSs? Can we wear more than one badge at a time?

Master of BOOT,..but otherwise at your service,....And your families.

Anthemisi
Anthemisi

Awarded:

I usually use the badge which gives highest - point. Currently there is only BBB! *giggles*
SNS badge, must carry a memory from Angmar, sure!

Awarded:

Ooo! I want to be a grumpy ogre!

RannaDylin
High Officer

Awarded:

I vote yes! Hehe...my philosophy on the badges, Cap'n, is to let people tell me what ones they want rather than setting qualifications for them. That way no one has to feel left out, and it's not a serious award or anything, just something fun to put on your profile and commemorate some of the times you've shared with kin. So I agree with Kira's #4 (and her post in general) - make the award and give it to anyone who asks for it. If they've ever taken part in SNS, that's a time shared with kin that's well worth commemorating!

Now if you want to add a second tier of badges for SNS Veteran status...or SNS Group Leaders...or something like that, then there'd probably be a need for setting qualifications.

Jump to: