Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lonely Mountain Band Forum Index -> J.R.R. Tolkien
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Locney Esgal

re: Idea: Lore Classes

Alright, I know this has been tossed around a bit, but I'm reviving this topic.....Lore Classes! Personally, I have trouble self-teaching stuff like this. I know the Band has some lore-aficionados, and a few who want to learn more, so I think this will be a great thing for everyone! Discuss....

I've done extensive research and have come to the conclusion that Sanity is detrimental to Fun and is completely unnecessary for human survival. As man who claims to be a doctor, my semi-professional opinion is to have your Sanity surgically removed at the earliest connivance.
thenerdwriter

Now if only I had the intelligence to embed...

http://static.railbirds.com/gallery/2008/11/33722seal_of_approval.jpg
Locney Esgal

Nice. Seriously, it would be WONDERFUL! We could even RP it, to add a bit of fun.

I've done extensive research and have come to the conclusion that Sanity is detrimental to Fun and is completely unnecessary for human survival. As man who claims to be a doctor, my semi-professional opinion is to have your Sanity surgically removed at the earliest connivance.
CGriffin
Officer

We have lore classes...

We refer to them as bookclub...

Locney Esgal

True, but having a more focused curriculum would be helpful as well.

Odinakacody

Hey if this kicks off i could always learn more :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
thenerdwriter

I think the first thing we should do is figure out logistics and the like. Would anyone even want to stand in front of a big crowd and just go on about everything they know about a single event, like a presentation, or would we have a bunch of different speakers detailing different pieces of the event? Would it be like a lecture, or would we involve music and stories, like book club? Where would it be held? When would it be held? Would the same people host every week? How long will each session be? How many people will we attract? And will we cover multiple subjects, or just stick to a single one during a class? Oh, so many questions! Count me in though.
Andeon
Officer

problem with much of this, I expect, is that you'll find that different people prefer different presentations of information. For my *own* part, I think what you might want to do is categorize your lore subjects for each session

as in...today we'll cover The Rohirrim...their origins, language, heirarchy, etc etc...

today we cover the Istari (wizards) - names, where they came from, deeds, etc etc...

obviously, there'd be lots of crossover, but narrowing down subjects often helps people to 1 - know what to expect when they show up 2 - get people who care about that particular topic excited about it and 3 - keep it from becoming a random blizzard of info

but again, that's me, and other people might prefer a different setup - like a q and a session with a panel of lore experts, or some such...

in the end, I'd recommend getting a solid small group of people committed to the enterprise - then customize your presentation format to satisfy that core group - then, open the event up to other folks, and let them decide if they can handle it as is - trying to make EVERYONE happy usually ends up making next to NOBODY happy...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: